Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Planning a villa now and interested to hear opinions on indoor vs. outdoor bathrooms in Bali - by outdoor I mean covered by a roof and with appropriate privacy measures but otherwise open to nature. Have stayed in places with both and can see the only advantage of an outdoor bathroom to be ventilation. Otherwise it's a communion with wasps, mosquitoes, ants, spiders, etc. Is the proliferation of outdoor bathrooms really a glamping dream come true for users, a cost savings, or what?

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
It probably depends on whether the place will ever be used as tourist accommodation, even if you don't intend to, the person that buys it off you might. Tourists love that sort of stuff.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think will depend if it is for personal use or not. I think for personal use a standard bathroom is more practical.

The negatives of an open bathroom are security, as they seem to be an easy target for robbers. Rats eat your soap if left out and your bathroom fittings deteriorate quicker too.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I enjoy the open style and don't see insects as a problem. I have seen soap nibbled by rats - but maybe in that case you need to work on getting rid of the rats.

YPDN

Jul 30, 2016
Post #1

Mark, just do it.

I have both styles here.
The only 'advice' I might offer is it depends on where the open style is actually located.
If overhead, and without a hard roof over that, you will feel the cold drops of rain while in your nice warm shower.

My open style one has insect mesh in all the right places, otherwise you will get pesky bities at you, plus snakes, etc, crawling in when you are not there.

But, this is Your Paradise. Do what you want, to ease the burden of living in such a god-forsaken hellhole of a country that the world's 4th largest population calls home.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have 4 open and 2 closed and would go every time for the "open" version. Think ventilation and contemplation. No problem with flora or fauna except a small case of green on the floor of one open to the rain which staff easily remove with bottled bleach cleaner. As Ron says if you have rats eating your soap they need dealing with anyway and that's just a "combat indicator".