EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Good day to everybody!

I've read some topics here and really liked the friendly atmosphere. So I'm here for your kind advise, some facts and maybe some personal experience you could share with me!:icon_e_smile:

I want to open a small bar in Kuta like all those cute places on Benesari street or on Poppies Lane.

I know "small" may sound a 'lil bit uncertain. For example, you can keep in mind a place called 'Love Cinta'. It's near Love Buzz. So if there's anybody out there in Kuta you can see with your own eyes what size I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong it's not an advertisement! Not at all.:icon_e_confused: I just want to be exact because as I know prices for rent differ drastically depending on size.
So how much could it be to rent a place like that per year? I was told it's gonna be about 5-6000$ per year. Is this correct?

What about electricity? I'm not gonna serve food, just snacks. Salty peanuts, potato chips maybe sandwiches. So there's no kitchen in my plan. Or maybe all bills for electricity depend only on overall floor area?

Staff salary. I was told that as for barman 100$ in month is a very good salary, is it right? What about other staff? I dont mind to clean my place with my own hands so I'm not sure whether I'll be in need of maid or not. Is there anybody else I could find myself in desperate need of?:icon_e_smile:

What about alcohol? I guess it's a pretty important question as it's gonna be the main consumable. Prices? License for selling? Sources? Any info will be greatly appreciated:icon_e_smile:

Do I need any licenses or something like that? Or I just need to pay rent and do whatever I want with that property? Open a library, spa, bar - anything?

Will 20-25000$ be enough for first couple of years for all costs?

If I forgot to mention and include anything, please, don't hesitate my friends. Any information is vital for me:icon_e_smile:

Thanks in advance for any information!

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

I think your prices are at least 4-5 years old, Poppies is expensive, I heard they're renting these shoeboxes for 80-100 million a year...evth getting more expensive in Indo as well, so 100 $ (860.000 Rupees) will not make a guy working fulltime very happy...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Also you didn't mention a visa. Without a working permit you can't do any kind of work in Indonesia. Yes you need permits to run a bar/restaurant. You might want to consider going into a partnership with a local. It's not going to be easy to get back whatever money you put into the business. Best of luck, wil certainly need it :icon_lol:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I am glad you have asked before blundering in. I give you full points for that.
So may people come to Bali, open a business and fail very quickly. I could not longer even keep a tally of the number of times I have seen these type of places fail.
Numerous folk come to Bali with the "rosey" vision of opening a bar.
Let us look at simplified figures.
If you lease the bar for 80 million rupiah a year this will equate to 1,538,500 per week.
You are buying Bintang at 10,000 per bottle and selling at 18,000 each.
At a profit of 8,000 per bottle you have to sell about 192 beers per week,
It takes a lot of work to build up a client base that will allow you to do this on a weekly basis.
This is only to allow you to get your lease money back.
You have not yet paid for water, electricity, wages, stock loss, tables, chairs, refrigerators or money to the local Banjar for security. You will also have to pay for your visa and possibly a flight to Singapore every 6 months.
Be aware if you are found cleaning your own bar you will be fined, imprisoned and deported.
More importantly you have not yet got somewhere to live or have any money to buy food.
To sell liquor other than beer or local drinks you will need a liquor licence. Heaven forbid....this is when you will start to cry and pull your hair out.
To get a liquor licence you must have an IMB (building licence) for the building you are operating from. When it is established that one of these does not exist, you will have to get one. There goes 20,000,000 in architect and licencing fees. Now you can move onto the liquor licence which will cost another 40,000,000 and about 18 months of frustration to obtain.
Meanwhile the liquor police will possibly raid your premises ans confiscate bottles as they see fit.
Remember you are a foreigner opening up a business that is in opposition to some of your local neighbours.
If you are still thinking of going ahead with the idea please feel free to PM me and I will happily have a chat with you.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ka-bammm!!

The sound of exploding dreams.

Why does the entire world think that opening a bar/restaurant is and easy option? On top of the bother with all you've said noidea - it's fecking hard work and long hours for shitty pay.

Nothing but problems!

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Holly Molly...looks like I was wearing pink glasses for the last few months since I've been there last time. Thank you all guys.

It's weird 'cause those amounts I was talking about were not from my head. I just returned from Bali in January. Talked a lot to locals, foreigners. And I figured out the picture that way.

Saying that idea of opening bar on Bali is my dream doesn't mean that I consider it an easy matter. I don't have illusions and I'm not idealizing! I got a pretty clear vision of how hard it could and should be. But I love Bali, I want to live there, I'm sick as heck of living in my home country, so I want to make my dream come true. At least to try. If I loose, damn it was worth it!:icon_wink:

2no.idea: I need 8 more message here and then I'll PM you! I'd like to chat with you too.

Last edited:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
And no.idea would know....he drinks 192 bintangs himself each week :icon_razz:
On a bit of health kick right now, I am down to 175 per week. MODERATION is the key word.:icon_rolleyes:
Oops ANZAC ceremony early tomorrow, time for one more beer and then off to bed. After the ceremony, I have to organise a barbecue breakfast, two up and fund raising.
This year any money raised is going to the Kupu Kupu Foundation.
Last ANZAC day I left the Australian Consulate and went the normal way home ( I was the construction manager when we built the Consulate and therefore know the streets in that area.).
Unbeknown to me it was a "car free day" in Denpasar.
So there were scores of locals happily wandering the streets and ONE western clown driving in amongst them.
I have never met so many angry policemen in such a short time.:icon_biggrin:

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
2no.idea when I open my place you will be more then welcome there my friend!:icon_lol: And we'll have a competition for sure:icon_lol: i dont like beer that much as you so I'll be drinking whiskey if you dont mind! The last who can spell 'hippopotamus' correctly will win, deal?:icon_lol:

I got the overall point I have to increase the stakes.
My good old balinese friend told me this morning that he would be pleased to work as a barman for 2.500.000 rupiahs per months. It will be about 3500$ in a year

Rent. 8-10000$ in a year. Let's say 10000. If it is gonna be lower cool.
All other expenses including electricity, supplies etc excluding licenses. Will 7000$ be enough for it?

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
2no.idea when I open my place you will be more then welcome there my friend!:icon_lol: And we'll have a competition for sure:icon_lol: i dont like beer that much as you so I'll be drinking whiskey if you dont mind! The last who can spell 'hippopotamus' correctly will win, deal?:icon_lol:

I got the overall point I have to increase the stakes.
My good old balinese friend told me this morning that he would be pleased to work as a barman for 2.500.000 rupiahs per months. It will be about 3500$ in a year

Rent. 8-10000$ in a year. Let's say 10000. If it is gonna be lower cool.
All other expenses including electricity, supplies etc excluding licenses. Will 7000$ be enough for it?
Two and a half million a month? He will be the highest paid barman in indonesia:icon_rolleyes:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
My good old balinese friend told me this morning that he would be pleased to work as a barman for 2.500.000 rupiahs per months. It will be about 3500$ in a year...

Ha ha... just about ANY Balinese/Javanese/Indonesian in general would work as a barman for Rp2.500.000 per month. That's a VERY GOOD wage for a local person!

Frosty

Mar 6, 2011
I have to agree with Mr Markit, running a bar/pub is a lot of hard work for little return. I once bought a pub in country Western Australia, ran it well for 4 years, increased the takings 4 fold but in the end I sold it and got a job driving a truck, made more money for half the hours. One thing I did find when you own a pub you seem to have lots of new friends that want to drink with you, not necessarily pay but drink. Also you have to take into account cerain members of you staff will be a little free with your
stock, now no disrespect intended but I no through experience that not all drinks are paid for and not all money goes in the till. The best advice I ever got was, don't buy a pub and never and I mean never
drink in your own bar, if you want a quiet drink go some place else.:icon_lol:

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Damn, man you are reading my thoughts!:icon_lol:

If I start to drink in my own bar I'll be completely out of money shortly:icon_lol: So yeah I'll try to do my best to keep my hands off of my bar=)

I know I'm not gonna raise a billion running that bar and I can raise much more money working as SQA engineer in my home country or abroad. But it's my dream and I'm dead sure it's worth it just to try! No matter what this adventure will end up with.

Last edited:

Frosty

Mar 6, 2011
EyeLESS, three things will happen if you drink in your own bar. First all your new found friends will think that because you own the bar you will shout them drinks and because being also a westerner you will get double wammy. Second you will become an alcoholic and thirdly you will become broke. I've seen it happen. Good luck with your venture.:icon_mrgreen:

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Tnx man! Best wishes to you as well! :icon_lol:

Luckely I got a wise woman by my side so she will definitely kick my ass if I try to let some things loose:icon_lol: God knows how I love this woman!

Frosty

Mar 6, 2011
EyeLESS, one more thing, if you want this woman to still be the love of your life DO NOT buy a bar, at first it will be ok, but you will stay longer at your bar, drink more, stay a bit longer, drink a bit more. One night you will go home and your lady will not be there and I've seen that happen to. One of the reasons I sold my pub, you do not have family time at all, a pub is 7 days a week with very long hours and is bloody hard work, do yourself a favour and look for something else, go drink at other peoples bars let them have the hassles. Good luck to you and your lady:icon_lol:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
No it will not. The competition is absolutely fierce as well. My honest advice is that unless you have some kind of idea to make your bar stand out from the rest do not do it. You can spend thousands of dollars setting it all up and the it can easily not be viable. Why not go over spend some time really getting to know what is involved and the true costs and then decide. Sorry to be negative

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
I totally agree with you friend! I just have been there in January looking for true costs and prices! But this info varies extremely. Some call one amount, some another. So what I'm trying to do is to get as much info as I can via any means possible. On the internet, keeping in touch with some local friends in skype etc.

I guess I got some ideas how to make my place interesting.:icon_lol: Hope they will work out!