no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Pirate is actually bajak or even bajak laut. So this really should not get confused with any crude Balinese words.
Many similar words have different meanings (for example pepes and pepek).
Even the word kenyang is quite different in Balinese to what it means in Indonesian.

Goldminer, you had better hurry back I can not decide which bar to frequent next. Please help.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Pirate is actually bajak or even bajak laut. So this really should not get confused with any crude Balinese words.
Even the word kenyang is quite different in Balinese to what it means in Indonesian.

Goldminer, you had better hurry back I can not decide which bar to frequent next. Please help.
Well old mate, we could start at the Ducks Nuts, move on to miss januarys, mama dewis and then sennia and then.......

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
I understand pronunciation is different but the spelling [according to my wife] is the same. She pointed it out [reading over my shoulder as usual]. I would never had known. Might be fun to ask some Balinese friends. Can't be bad for business. At least it will get your Bar talked about. As they say 'no publicity is bad publicity.
How about renaming 'Parata' Bay after the Indian bread?

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@goldminer and no.idea...why don't you guys just go to Grahadi on the Jl.ByPass? a whole bunch of dewi's and sennia's and other miss (tres) ses :icon_wink:..
Hell I might join you guys...btw, what's your luckynumber? hehehe

hanzrobby

Mar 15, 2011
wow fined and jailed for doing your own cleaning....

must tell husband that.... i'm sure it's a new rule in australia too...lol:highly_amused:

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Yes, pirate translates to bajak laut in Indonesian, but the spelling "pirate" that is pronounced Pee-rah-te is a very offensive Balinese word. Even has implications of talking bad about dead relatives. Bad word, but the English word of pirate is common enough that it won't create any problems.

kenny71

Sep 6, 2012
Hello EyeLESS.
One year after, can you give us a feedback about your bar and your experience ? Does it work as you expected ?

BenBell

Oct 2, 2012
Yeah, I just read the entire thread and am keen to find out what happened?? It was a mini drama and now my curiosity is arroused. Has anyone been to the Pirate Bay recently?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Actually, EyeLESS gave up on the idea of a "small bar in Kuta" and has since concentrated his efforts towards building yet another humongous hotel, which Bali obviously need more.:cocksure:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
When the previous contributor says "EyeLESS gave up on the idea of a "small bar in Kuta"that's posh English for it was a raging success and he's made millions and millions with that fantastic idea, Not!

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Maybe he has turned it into a boutique spa, or internet cafe. The is an absolute lack of those around the place.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Are you bored, insecure, angry or something?

Not more than the rest of the human race, I guess. So, in balance, I plum for - "something".

But I am perhaps a bit short on patience with people that contribute to a forum or ask for information but refuse to read the answers.

See, that got you reading didn't it?