no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
When you are next in Bali be sure to contact some of us for face to face advice. We would all love to see you succeed.
The worst that you can do is fail and they do not shoot you for doing that. As long as the money you invest is money you can afford or are willing to lose, go for it.
Small bars can work but they are hard damn work. I think most of us would simply like to make you aware of the pitfalls rather than the advice that some of your local "friends" will give you.
About 6 months ago a small bar opened near my place. I will often wander down there in the later evening and listen to the owner and his Sumatran friends play guitars and sing through until the small hours of the morning. As I got to know him I eventually asked if he knew why his bar was unique but had very few customers.
I explained what "marketing plus promotion" was all about. I offered to help him. The down side is that for the last 6 Sunday evenings the place has been packed and I can no longer get a seat in one of my favourite watering holes.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
When you are next in Bali be sure to contact some of us for face to face advice. We would all love to see you succeed.
The worst that you can do is fail and they do not shoot you for doing that. As long as the money you invest is money you can afford or are willing to lose, go for it.
Small bars can work but they are hard damn work. I think most of us would simply like to make you aware of the pitfalls rather than the advice that some of your local "friends" will give you.
About 6 months ago a small bar opened near my place. I will often wander down there in the later evening and listen to the owner and his Sumatran friends play guitars and sing through until the small hours of the morning. As I got to know him I eventually asked if he knew why his bar was unique but had very few customers.
I explained what "marketing plus promotion" was all about. I offered to help him. The down side is that for the last 6 Sunday evenings the place has been packed and I can no longer get a seat in one of my favourite watering holes.
And a loverly bubi guling the have too mate! :icon_lol:

arch7

Apr 24, 2011
If you manage to open it, share it with us so we can pay you a visit :icon_mrgreen:

Rio_Junino

Apr 26, 2011
Hi EyeLess,

Let me help you a little on this.. Of course you need licenses to open a restaurant nor bar here in Bali.

The first step that you have to do is to make sure that the place that you want to rent for the bar has a BUILDING PERMIT (IMB) and then see in the building permit that the place has a function for COMMERCIAL use, because this is crucial for the next step, which is to set up a company. If all of that is OK, then pay the owner.

The second step is to set up a company, it can be a PMA (Foreign Investment Company) or a PT. (Private Company) local. This is a must so you can do your business here legally. The process time for this is around 4 months, but you can start to operate when the tax registration number (NPWP) is issued, which is usually in the second months.

The third step is after you start process the licenses (PMA/PT), while waiting you can start to do some renovation or decoration to your place, and do some promotion (soft opening) but remember, you can't start to make any kind of transaction in your bar before the tax registration number (NPWP) is issued.

The fourth step is you must have a working visa (KITAS), the main requirement for you to apply the KITAS is you must be sponsored by a company, and in this case, the company that you can use for the sponsorship is your own (PMA/PT) company. you can start the process to apply the KITAS is also when the tax registration number (NPWP) of your company is issued.

This is the ESTIMATION for the amount of money you have to spend to do the steps above (IDR) :

- Rent for the place (Poppies) : 100.000.000 /year
- Set up a company : 50.000.000 (PMA) 35.000.000 (PT)
- Renovating nor Decorating : It's depends on the condition of the place
- KITAS : 5.600.000 /person. Working visa is valid for 5 years, KITAS you have to extend annually.

I hope this information is useful for you, Good Luck!

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you all guys!

This forum is such an awesome place! I thank God I've found it!:icon_lol:

I'll let all of you know when I finally open my place so we could enjoy couple of beers and a good conversation!=)

Actually things turned out that way so most likely I'll buy an already running business. My Australian pal seems to have urge to get back home for a while so he'd like to sell his place. He's got a paid rent for the next 3.5 years and I guess he's already got all mentioned above licenses. So everything seems a lil bit easier. Are these licenses a subject for renewal or once obtained they are no more a matter to worry about?

Thanks again guys! You are my saviors not less:icon_lol: Best wishes to all of you!

Rio_Junino

Apr 26, 2011
Yea, right! it's gonna be lil bit easier for you if you buy an already running business.. but of course, you still have to find out is there another reason why your pal want to sell his business. Maybe by asking the neighbor of that place will get you some clearer view about the place.

If everything's turn out OK with the place and he's already got the licenses for it, then you just have to convert the licenses from his name to your name, it's kind a "refresh" to the place. This is necessary so you wont be responsible in to any kind of debt, tax, etc. from the previous owner, and just because this is the rule here :)

There are some of the licenses that you don't have to renew (eg, NPWP) but there also some of it that you have to extend every 5 years (eg, TDP, SIUP-MB). And last but not least, you still have to process the working visa (KITAS) so you can gain incomes here legally.

Cheers dude!

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Oh thanks for reply man!

Is it a long process to 'refresh' licenses to my name? Do I have to pay for it or we just have to come to some office have my name written instead of his on all papers and that's all?

Unfortunately I don't have any possibility to ask folks around about this place now. If anybody could walk around there to get a clearer picture I'd greatly appreciate it. I know it's to much to ask anybody to do it for me so if you are just gonna be somewhere near Love Cinta on Benesari street in Kuta and gonna have couple of free minutes maybe you won't mind to ask some questions to local folks:icon_lol:

Rio_Junino

Apr 26, 2011
Hi, EyeLESS

I have some more information for you, what is your email address ?
I will send it to you via email.

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Tnx man! My e-mail is profforg[at]inbox.ru

Can't wait to read what did you find out! Hope everything's fine:icon_rolleyes:

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
I received your letter friend! Will reply to you shortly. I got some problems with messages' deliverance to hotmail.com domain.

Rio_Junino

Apr 26, 2011
Oh, okey.. or maybe you can try to send it to my other account, it's rio.bali[at]rocketmail.com

Cheers friend!

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Hi again my friends!

Hello again my friends!=)))) Great news! I made it=) I'm here and it's a second week my bar is up and running=) Not so many customers, but it's just a beginning! But I can tell you all the guys who were here LOVED my place, my prices and amount of alcohol I put in every drink!=) So they are always back!=)

So if you have time, please pay me a visit! Hope you'll love it as well as me and my customers. Most of them are my friends now=)

Place is called Pirate Bay, it's located on Jl. Benesari in Kuta just 30 meters from Dog Dragon! Hope to see you all here in Pirate Bay! Arrrgh!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Place is called Pirate Bay, it's located on Jl. Benesari in Kuta just 30 meters from Dog Dragon! Hope to see you all here in Pirate Bay! Arrrgh!

Congratulations on getting it going. Sounds like it could be a potential spot for a Balipod Meet-up.

I like the name - are you linking it to http://thepiratebay.org as part of the theme?

shazza

Aug 22, 2011
Broome, Western Australia
Hi,

I'll be in Bali for my very first holiday ever :icon_biggrin: and will be sure to drop in for a drink, glad to hear your up and running.

Wishing you all the best

Shaz :icon_biggrin:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Best wishes, I hope that it works out well for you. It is a wonderful life in Indonesia. Bali is a great place to be. Among other thing I operate a very busy bar in Sanur, it can be hard work but the lifestyle easily compensates for that.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
Best wishes, I hope that it works out well for you. It is a wonderful life in Indonesia. Bali is a great place to be. Among other thing I operate a very busy bar in Sanur, it can be hard work but the lifestyle easily compensates for that.
Hard work? :icon_rolleyes: Your kidding right? The pressure of it all! Deciding what time to have a beer and which bar to go to next. :icon_biggrin:

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
Tnx for your best wishes guys!=)))) I do appreciate it!

You all are always welcome! No my Pirate Bay has nothing in common with mentioned above web-site=) My place is for having fun and getting drunk with no extra money wasting=)

Yeah...running bar is a pretty hard thing to do...you have to wake up in the afternoon, go to the beach, swim, surf, get tan, have a beer with friends...it's some kinda live in hell!:icon_mrgreen:
Of course I'm kidding but it's the best time of my life=)

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
My Balinese wife has just told me that 'pirate' spelt same prounouced pirrarta in bahassa Balinese is a very bad word. Fighting talk. OK for tourists though. Good luck.

EyeLESS

Apr 22, 2011
I'm very sorry, but I just don't know how to reply=)

'Pirate' is pronounced in a really different way=) Not pirrarta at all! And it's in english and it has 'bay' by it's side so it's pretty difficult to understand it in any bad 'fighting' way!

And word 'suka' in Bahasa means 'bitch' in Russian language but I still can understand what's that even though it sounds a bit rude to me=)

None of my local friends ever told me that the name of my bar sounds bad to them, but tnx for your wishes!

All the best to you as well friend!

Attachments

• 40.gif
    40.gif
    63 bytes · Views: 539