Open air kitchens in a villa....?

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
For example, see below... my question is, don't these have issues with vermin? Rodents, monkeys, insects, etc!? I mean, I get that there are cabinets to keep things in... but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stop a monkey. Or rodents for that matter...

1659069558293.png

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I can imagine birds to be more of an issue than monkeys. Cats may also visit. If there is a rodent problem there will soon be a snake problem as well... Open kitchen needs to be kept squeaky clean outside and inside cabinets. All food stored in containers / fridge. Trash taken out every evening. My impression is that open kitchen is often found in tourist villas for short term rental. Cost cutting measure as large windows and doors are not installed.

For us on long term rental enclosed kitchen is the only practical way. Even following the simple rules mentioned above -- an enclosed kitchen will still be visited by ants due to their exceptional sense of smell. A harmless cicak (house lizards is usually part of the inventory..

Reactions: Balifrog and Mark

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
I can imagine birds to be more of an issue than monkeys. Cats may also visit. If there is a rodent problem there will soon be a snake problem as well... Open kitchen needs to be kept squeaky clean outside and inside cabinets. All food stored in containers / fridge. Trash taken out every evening. My impression is that open kitchen is often found in tourist villas for short term rental. Cost cutting measure as large windows and doors are not installed.

For us on long term rental enclosed kitchen is the only practical way. Even following the simple rules mentioned above -- an enclosed kitchen will still be visited by ants due to their exceptional sense of smell. A harmless cicak (house lizards is usually part of the inventory..
one word

mosquitos ............ = dengue

OK so I lied, that's 2 words

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I had an open kitchen & living room. the two main problems are / were (in my case): mosquitos & bats (they love to hang in the wooden ceilings and eat there fruits at night...it was a Limasan). A sliding mosquito net instead of doors will keep out both. Except the heat & the lizards ;)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have had an open air kitchen for years and love it! No cooking smells, fresh air, no problems with vermin/mozzis (they come in the house too)
AND no dangers of gas explosions - not to be ignored here! Am in the process of building another one.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I prefer to keep "africa "outside the door , if you guys wanna live with the bugs, rats, snakes , dengue ,welcome .

Reactions: Balifrog

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I have a decent kitchen in the Bali house
Screenshot_20220730-105741_Gallery_copy_1024x576.jpg

And an open one in the Missus Java jungle house, attached to my man's cave.

Screenshot_20220730-104523_Gallery_copy_600x1067.jpg

Misssus / family have their kitchen but I wanted mine.
Note that no food is stored there, only cans or thincs that go in the fridge. And I bring my own food when I go there (max 7 to 10 days)
Note also that except the Miss, no one of the family is allowed to use it !