Omicron set to peak in early February in Indonesia

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and Investment Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan has estimated that the peak of Omicron infections in Indonesia will be reached in early February 2022.

The estimation is based on observations of other countries' experiences, where the Omicron variant reached its peak in the range of 40 days, which was faster than the Delta variant, he said.

"For Indonesia, we estimated the peak of the Omicron wave will occur in early February," Pandjaitan informed in a video statement received here on Tuesday.

Nevertheless, most of the Omicron patients are expected to experience mild symptoms, so the government has prepared a different strategy from the one used for handling Delta cases, he added.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
My staff are all sick with mild coughs/sore throats/sniffles and feverish. When they present at the local doctor demanding antibiotics (as they do for any and all sicknesses here) strangely the doc is refusing them. Now paint me cynical but I'm guessing the doc sees that they all have Omicron (virus) and knows that antibiotics will help nothing. He's even told them they have to wait 3 or 4 days before getting them - I'm guessing to help with any secondary infections.

The missus and I are isolating and drinking lots of alcohol to disinfect.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
With the way Delta spread through here last year, I just can't believe that Omircon has not already arrived here. It was pretty busy here during Christmas and New Year. While some people wear masks, it seems like a kind of half hearted effort for many people.

I think people aren't getting tested because they only have mild symptoms.

Reactions: sakumabali

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
My staff are all sick with mild coughs/sore throats/sniffles and feverish. When they present at the local doctor demanding antibiotics (as they do for any and all sicknesses here) strangely the doc is refusing them. Now paint me cynical but I'm guessing the doc sees that they all have Omicron (virus) and knows that antibiotics will help nothing. He's even told them they have to wait 3 or 4 days before getting them - I'm guessing to help with any secondary infections.

The missus and I are isolating and drinking lots of alcohol to disinfect.

My wife and I, both fully vaccinated with Astra Zeneca with the second dose six months ago, have just emerged from a week of sniffling, nasal congestion, occasional dry cough and, in my case only, sweats and headaches in the night.
Of course we rationalised that all of these symptoms could be a common cold or influenza and waited to see if more serious symptoms - such as death - developed but it seems to have passed now.
We hadn’t left the house for several days before we noticed the first sniffles, and then only to the supermarket in Sanur, but we always wear N95 masks and carry/use hand sanitiser plus we take sanitising tissues to wipe down the supermarket trolley handles etc. but perhaps Omicron can enter through the eyes o_O

I would have gotten tested out of curiosity even though our symptoms were mild but I’m afraid that the current policy of putting all positive case into an isolation hospital doesn’t inspire me with confidence so I also opted for home treatment by Dr Plaga and nurse Anker - it worked well :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
With the way Delta spread through here last year, I just can't believe that Omircon has not already arrived here. It was pretty busy here during Christmas and New Year. While some people wear masks, it seems like a kind of half hearted effort for many people.

I think people aren't getting tested because they only have mild symptoms.
I think it's just astonishing how ALL the world's governments seem to be playing "Catchup" the entire time with absolutely no interest in the fast changing facts from South Africa/UK or America (they are about 1/2/3 in overall infection speed and numbers). Saw today how Indonesia (or just Bali?) have made available 1000 new hospital beds for Omicron infected. Didn't the guy who did that take even a brief glance at the world news? Hospitalization is waaaaay down even with infections waaaaay up.

As some very clever fellow said no so long ago - "it's over girls" hoist up your knickers and get on with your lives.

Some very good statistics coming out of those countries:

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I think the official stats are way behind as around xmas and New Year I was going out all the time and back then the official number of omicron cases for bali was just two, I've met more people than that personally who have had it.

If you're just sitting put and don't need to travel I don't think it's the biggest stress sounds like you lot are doing what needs to be done

If you want to test yourself you can order rapid tests off shopee https://shopee.co.id/NEW-ANTIGEN-AB...1?sp_atk=3f03dc6d-9dd0-44a7-bde5-a164756bdef9

Last edited: