davita

Mar 13, 2012
1003759_10152745180784472_2111847135608664478_n.jpg

Kuta, in 1975

Are we sure it was 1975?
I had a holiday in Kuta in 1975.......the beach didn't look that busy...:icon_e_biggrin:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Apparently this is the King of Bali in the 1850s. I know Markit is going to question that but thats what they rekon

old-bali-pic.jpg

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Why would I doubt you or this picture?

I only question your presentation of badly focused pictures with nothing identifiable in them other than trees and bushes which are then credited with a 40 or 50 year old provenance.

This picture is obviously old and of some local Indo worthies.

Glad to see that the fear of my complaining is adding to your journalistic integrity though.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Apparently this is the King of Bali in the 1850s. I know Markit is going to question that but thats what they rekon

Well Markit has not challenged yet, so here is a conjecture.

King of Bali implies that his Kingdom was all of Bali. I doubt there was such a King in the 1850s - there were a number of Kingdoms and maybe this guy was a King of one of them. The Regencies now to some extent reflect the Kingdoms back then.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
king of bali

Well Markit has not challenged yet, so here is a conjecture.

King of Bali implies that his Kingdom was all of Bali. I doubt there was such a King in the 1850s - there were a number of Kingdoms and maybe this guy was a King of one of them. The Regencies now to some extent reflect the Kingdoms back then.
Thanks Ron,
I have given Rangi so much B.S. flak that I didn't want to be critical. As you note these various areas of Bali came under individual rulers or headmen, and there was not a titular head of all Bali. Also since these pictures (and they are interesting) come under a heading that would indicate they were all Balinese there are certainly exceptions. Only the last picture under the latest group appears Balinese to me, and then not entirely. The picture with the long staffs, shields and rifle look very much as if they are from Sumatra. They appear either Batak or Minang Kabau.
Rangi needs to be thanked for his contributions, but we have to be careful that people aren't mislead.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Thanks Ron,
I have given Rangi so much B.S. flak that I didn't want to be critical. As you note these various areas of Bali came under individual rulers or headmen, and there was not a titular head of all Bali. Also since these pictures (and they are interesting) come under a heading that would indicate they were all Balinese there are certainly exceptions. Only the last picture under the latest group appears Balinese to me, and then not entirely. The picture with the long staffs, shields and rifle look very much as if they are from Sumatra. They appear either Batak or Minang Kabau.
Rangi needs to be thanked for his contributions, but we have to be careful that people aren't mislead.

In the group of three pictures, the first two pictures are from Bali. I don't know the first one. The 2nd one is that of a panearan (prince) on a horse (1910-20), and the third one is a portrait of Sasak chiefs, from Lombok, late 1800.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Pix 2 and 3 look remarkably like the pictures of the King of Karangasem that hang in Ujung Water Palace.

Picture 1 is of Tintin on his first visit to Bali exhibiting his slow potty training behavior, which I understand, has now come full circle. :black_eyed:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
The cows enjoying the view at Balangan in the mid 80's.

old-time-magazine-bali-pic.jpg

Life Magizines 1940s pic of in a Bali Barber Shop

Last edited by a moderator:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Witness the armchairs of the picture. They are made of injected moulding plastic which was only invented after WW2.... in the late 1940s....in the USA.
The barber's mouthscreen looks like it was put on yesterday. Otherwise, without the bare-breasted Bali beauty...the picture conjures nothing pertinent without comment...so may I offer the following..
Nice tits....my maid/villa boss has a similar visual expressive look but wears a uniform/underwear provided by my wife.......tomorrow, I'll ask LU if her mum/grandmother posed.
As I'm in my late 70's my male chauvenistic attitude is to simply say...ladies....thanks...for the mammaries.:icon_wink:

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Markit 'liked' my post #379 and Rangi "disliked'. I dont know whether I should be flattered or take a trip to Nusakambangan.

Here's a link to a you-tube video of Bali in the 1940's...it lasts nearly 10 mins and I've studied for hours but still cannot find any injection mouldings or even aluminum folding chairs but I may have been distracted by the bamboo...I'll take another look...:distant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V3eqddz0So