RhysG

Oct 3, 2011
seminyak
www.lokalliving.com
Hari Raya Nyepi - Nyepi Ceremony is a Hindu Day of Silence or the Hindu New Year in the Balinese Saka calendar. The largest celebrations are held in Bali as well as in Balinese Hindu communities around Indonesia. On New Year's Eve the villages are cleaned, food is cooked for 2 days and in the evening as much noise is made as possible to scare away the devils. On the following day, Hindus do not leave their homes, cook or engage in any activity. Streets are deserted, and tourists are not allowed to leave hotel complexes. No arrival nor departure flights at Ngurah Rai Airport in Denpasar - Bali. No tours activities...

Nyepi Day Calender :

Saturday, 05 March 2011 (Caka Year 1933)
Friday, 23 March 2012 (Caka Year 1934)
Tuesday, 12 March 2013 (Caka Year 1935)
Monday, 31 March 2014 (Caka Year 1936)
Saturday, 21 March 2015 (Caka, Year 1937)
Wednesday, 9 March 2016 (Caka Year 1938)
Tuesday, 28 March 2017 (Caka Year 1939)
Saturday, 17 March 2018 (Caka Year 1940)
Friday, 5 April 2019 (Caka Year 1941)
Wednesday, 23 March 2020 (Caka 1942)

Nyepi Day (Balinese New Year) is also determined using the Balinese calendar, the eve of Nyepi falling on the night of the new moon whenever it occurs around March/April each year. Therefore, the date for Nyepi changes every year, and there is not a constant number of days difference between each Nyepi as there is for such days as Galungan and Kuningan. To find out when Nyepi falls in a given year, you will need information on the cycles of the moon for that year. Whenever the new moon falls between mid-March and mid-April, that night will be the night of great activity and exorcism island-wide, while the next day will be the day of total peace and quiet, where everything stops for a day.

What should the visitors do during Nyepi Day or "Day of Silence" ? In accordance with local regulations, all visitors must remain within the property's premises during the Hindu New Year or Nyepi Day, from midnight of one day before Nyepi Day to early morning on the next day. Check-in and check-out will not be possible on Nyepi Day. Only very limited of lights may be considerable in the hotel's rooms whilst Balinese will have no light nor fire and make any noise all day and night.
source: Nyepi The Balinese New Year
ogoh-ogoh.jpg

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
On New Year's Eve the villages are cleaned, food is cooked for 2 days and in the evening as much noise is made as possible to scare away the devils. source: Nyepi The Balinese New Year
View attachment 1159

:icon_e_confused: please correct me if im wrong - as im not a hindu ...., but ,

I always thought noise etc was made to " attract / summons " - ALL the demons / devils / evil spirits ..., not scare them away ..,

:icon_evil: Because when the demons / evil spirits come out to play the next day to try to cause mischief ...., they find the island empty ( as there is no one about and only silence ) , which is meant to make them think that everyone has left the island , so the evil spirits / demons soon become bored as they cannot cause their mischief ..., so instead they go away / leave the island all together , to search for mischief elsewhere .

Last edited:

Ramona_

Jan 20, 2012
Canggu Asri
As far as i understood (correct me if i'm wrong please) this year Nyepi is on 22-23 of march :)

Do you think it's ok to be in my backyard (pool) that day?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Ramona, no worries about being in your pool on nyepi...
last year, I gave a BBQ for the village...music playing, people walking in and out, drinking, eating, gambling (cards)..
probably this year again.

Ramona_

Jan 20, 2012
Canggu Asri
Ramona, no worries about being in your pool on nyepi...
last year, I gave a BBQ for the village...music playing, people walking in and out, drinking, eating, gambling (cards)..
probably this year again.

Wow, i've been told you'll get a fine for being outside... Atleast that's what they say happened last year...
I guess that BBQ is nowhere near Canggu-area than?

RhysG

Oct 3, 2011
seminyak
www.lokalliving.com
Wow, i've been told you'll get a fine for being outside... Atleast that's what they say happened last year...
I guess that BBQ is nowhere near Canggu-area than?
depeneds where u are if u in a village and out some where like singaraja it ok but seminyak kuta place with lots of villa and hotels wont take it cuz that every day life for them so it the one day where they can tell every to shut the hell up an they have to. to the small village where there not alot of villa and hotel, most of the time after to you can go walk outside and stuff but must be quite, hell in medewi they go surfing.

but if you are truly Balinese you will stay indoors and even some of them may fast, cuz it also a day to get rid of the demones in your body too

Ramona_

Jan 20, 2012
Canggu Asri
Hmm, I think I'll stay on the save side and hang on the pool that day than ;), eventhough i'm in in a quit area (as in; not very touristy).

(I was fasting for a month during Ramadan while I was in Egypt last year, if one day only is enough for Bali, guess that's a guarantee for me being demon free? :ghost: ).

How does it work on taking care of animals on those days? I live/work in a stable, and ofcourse the horses have to get out, get fed, and cleaned. I guess the guys working here know, but i'm curious...

RhysG

Oct 3, 2011
seminyak
www.lokalliving.com
Hmm, I think I'll stay on the save side and hang on the pool that day than ;), eventhough i'm in in a quit area (as in; not very touristy).

(I was fasting for a month during Ramadan while I was in Egypt last year, if one day only is enough for Bali, guess that's a guarantee for me being demon free? :ghost: ).

How does it work on taking care of animals on those days? I live/work in a stable, and ofcourse the horses have to get out, get fed, and cleaned. I guess the guys working here know, but i'm curious...

hahaha gusse you must be free hahaha
as long as you dnt leave you property you should be fine, which stables you working at in canggu ?

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
I think that for one day each year it should not be too difficult to respect local customs, and do as the locals do. Stay indoors, don't be noisy, don't show any lights after dark, etc. Enjoy the peace and quiet, lack of traffic - it's time out, and can not use some of that every now and then?

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Except this year they will be letting people go to the mosque at a select few locations since the holiday falls on a Friday. I HIGHLY disagree with this.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
Silence is Golden
Expatriate American in North Bali Pays the Price of Violating Nyepi – the Day of Silence

(3/25/2012) Bali News: Silence is Golden

A report in The Bali Post outlines the risks foreign residents in Bali run when they choose to ignore local customs and traditions.

A villa in the village of Kaliaget, Seririt in Buleleng regency has been sealed and blockaded by angry villagers after its 62-year-old American owner chose to ignore the rules of absolute silence and leave the confines of his property of Nyepi, March 23, 2012.

Members of Banjar Alas Arum blockaded the man’s villa at 10:00 am on Saturday, March 24 - the day after Nyepi, using wood and bamboo to bar access road to the property.

The villagers closed the road when the villa’s owner and the villa manager where inside the property, effectively blocking their ability to leave the property. The irate villagers were demanding an apology and a sizeable compensation be paid by the villa owner who violated the peace of Nyepi by leaving the villa to purchase milk.

At 2:30 pm on Nyepi day the villa owner, identified only as Claude, drove his car onto the empty street of the village in a direction towards Lovina.

Members of the banjar and the local neighborhood watch (pacalang) came to the American's house on Friday afternoon where, according to the village chief, Claude refused to politely receive them. This was seen by the villagers as an insult to the entire village. The irate villagers then decided to close the villa’s entrance.

Village leaders demanded that Claude follow the tradition of the village that stipulates anyone breaking the silence of Nyepi must pay the cost of a pacaruan ceremony. Pacaruan ceremonies are held in Bali to pay homage to Tri Hita Karana – a central theme of Bali-Hinduism that maintains balance between God, man and nature.

The manager of the villa eventually came to the local community center (banjar) where he pledged local customs would be honored and the Rp. 5 million (US$555) cost of the pacaruan ceremony paid. Villagers, however, refused to open the barricades blocking access to the house before the cost of the ceremony was actually paid in advance and a formal statement of apology issued.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
that bad example of behavior and disrespect shown by that Bule in the above article also fuels my anger , as many foregners here do the right thing by showing respect to our Balinese /indonesian hosts who allow us to live/stay here , and that non concerning behaviour is not good for anyone ( ie; people who do the right thing as required by their local communities expectations and requirements ) when someone like this Bule in the article blatantly disrespects the local banjar and community where he chooses to stay. His behaviour only helps sour the judgement of locals towards foregners in general .

I noticed a few bules and a local in my area cleaning the temple ( and also made to pay fines ) as punishment ...., apparently the pecalang caught them going for walkabouts on nyepi day , and also for having lights on etc after being warned not to .

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
"GOT MILK"
I'm surprised anyone could purchase milk at 2:30pm during Nyepi in Lovina.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
that bad example of behavior and disrespect shown by that Bule in the above article also fuels my anger , as many foregners here do the right thing by showing respect to our Balinese /indonesian hosts who allow us to live/stay here , and that non concerning behaviour is not good for anyone ( ie; people who do the right thing as required by their local communities expectations and requirements ) when someone like this Bule in the article blatantly disrespects the local banjar and community where he chooses to stay. His behaviour only helps sour the judgement of locals towards foregners in general .

I noticed a few bules and a local in my area cleaning the temple ( and also made to pay fines ) as punishment ...., apparently the pecalang caught them going for walkabouts on nyepi day , and also for having lights on etc after being warned not to .

Totally agree with your above comments....well said.
My wife and I have just purchased a new villa in Bali and will move from Jakarta as soon as everything is completed.
We understand that a very necessary start is to introduce ourselves to the banjar and offer our community service. We have already committed to a monthly contribution for ceremonial festivities.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
Totally agree with your above comments....well said.
My wife and I have just purchased a new villa in Bali and will move from Jakarta as soon as everything is completed.
We understand that a very necessary start is to introduce ourselves to the banjar and offer our community service. We have already committed to a monthly contribution for ceremonial festivities.

Welcome ..., and good luck with the new villa , I hope theres plenty of days of tranquility ahead :icon_cool: ( well compared to Jakarta there will be for sure , Im sure you know what I mean )