Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi all,

Am currently in preparations for a SE Asian trip with a few mates in March/April next year. Part of our plans were to spend a few days in Bali watching the Cricket World Cup Qtr Finals before heading on to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Unfortunately, have noted that Nyepi Day occurs on the 21st of March 2015 (Saturday). In all my years and trips to Bali I have avoided Nyepi like the plague by either escaping the island or simply not being there for that time of year, so have absolutely no idea of what to expect.

Just curious what time the bars and restaurants are likely to close on the Friday night (night before Nyepi) and how easy it is to get around the day after Nyepi, as we plan to catch an early flight to Singapore on the Sunday morning. We can handle wasting a day on the saturday (Nyepi), especially if it is nursing a sore head after a big friday (the day Australia is scheduled to have their Qtr final, should they make it that far).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Adam

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Nyepi actually finishes at 6AM on Sunday the 22nd. So I hope your flight is not really all that early or it may not be happening. Generally things slow down around noon on the day before Nyepi to allow the local workers to return to their homes.
Nyepi day is an all day party event at our place. I do not consider it a waste of a day at all.

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
I am honestly surprised that anyone traveling here takes the time to find out when or what Nyepi is. I know that I had no idea it was even a thing until I was living here and got blindsided by it. Other than the day of though there really is no major impact that I have ever noticed, but I spend zero time in Kuta it might be a different story there. Like no.idea said though the day before things close up a bit early. Not a huge problem for me since I am usually home aluminum foiling my windows then anyway. The day after is just business as usual in my experience.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Just curious what time the bars and restaurants are likely to close on the Friday night (night before Nyepi) and how easy it is to get around the day after Nyepi, as we plan to catch an early flight to Singapore on the Sunday morning.

Generally the restaurants and bars will close after the lunch shift as employees will be heading home to get ready for the Ogoh Ogoh parades in the evening. I don't think you'll find a bar showing any sport events unless you watch at your hotel.

The streets are usually quiet the day after Nyepi and probably even more so this time on a Sunday with nobody going to work.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Adam
Unfortunately, have noted that Nyepi Day occurs on the 21st of March 2015 (Saturday). In all my years and trips to Bali I have avoided Nyepi like the plague by either escaping the island or simply not being there for that time of year, so have absolutely no idea of what to expect.
Are you really "Adam"? Your post surprised me. I always thought of you as someone sensitive and respectful to local customs and somewhat knowledgeable to boot.
This post of yours seems way out of character to me.

As no.idea said, don't expect to get on a really early flight out of Bali on Sunday morning, hang-over or not.
You can only start to move around after 6 am. Good luck on getting a taxi to the airport before that.

:icon_eek:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Gozer
..."though there really is no major impact that I have ever noticed..."
Is that so? How about the airport is closed, you're not allowed to go anywhere unless it's an emergency, you're not supposed to make noise, watch TV, have the lights on, and everything is "closed", etc.

These days many hotels have Nyepi packages. As long as you stay within the hotel's boundary, it's business as usual, but you're supposed to be quiet and discreet.
At home, you stay quiet, don't broadcast yourself with lights on or the wandering pecalang, (traditional security guards), might get you.

[FONT=&amp]
Personally, I like Nyepi but not the hypocrisy surrounding it. I can't walk anywhere but the pecalang can? Hospitals are still "open". What if there's a fire? A robbery?

Like the "spirits" we're supposed to fool into thinking there's nobody on the island doing anything so they'll go away are that stupid?
It's a quaint custom but superficial at best.

The internet is not shut down, handphones still work, people twitter/facebook, use their computers...so what is really the point of it these days?[/FONT]

:apple:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Adam

Are you really "Adam"? Your post surprised me. I always thought of you as someone sensitive and respectful to local customs and somewhat knowledgeable to boot.
This post of yours seems way out of character to me.

As no.idea said, don't expect to get on a really early flight out of Bali on Sunday morning, hang-over or not.
You can only start to move around after 6 am. Good luck on getting a taxi to the airport before that.

:icon_eek:

Hi JC,

Please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect. Just on the few previous occasions when I have happened to be 'in' Bali during Nyepi the war office has made us flee to Java for a few days or in recent years I have planned my trip to avoid any 'chaotic' times of the year as the traffic sends me crazy (Idul Fitri springs to mind...). I fully appreciate the importance to the locals and in no way intend(ed) to disparage the day(s) though will admit when you are poor for time in Bali like I unfortunately am, the thought of being stuck in your hotel is not my kettle of fish, every day is precious. I guess in this current instance I am somewhat disappointed as I will be lucky to squeeze in 3 or 4 days as a side excursion to other places so was a bit sad to discover this might throw a spanner in the works.

I'm a sports tragic and chance to 'swing' past Bali (on our way to Malaysian F1 Grand Prix) to watch the Cricket World Cup at my favourite sports bar was a dream come true. To explain to my travelling companions that we'd be stuck in the hotel missing said match we had come to watch would have seen me tarred and feathered. There is a late flight to Singapore on Friday night, Nyepi eve, at 10:45pm so there still might be some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm assuming taxi's and the like are still permitted to travel on Friday night as I believe Nyepi doesn't really start til 6am Saturday? I am curious as to what may happen with the roads in Kuta (assuming Ogoh Ogoh parades etc - not sure) and the ease of getting to the airport on time.

Thanks to all who have replied.
Regards Adam

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Adam

That's all fine. I guess you won't have any time to visit us (in Sanur).
Nyepi or not Nyepi.

How's your lovely wife?

:icon_question:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
JohnnyC,

No worries my friend. Probably won't have time to visit unfortunately, unless you are interested in mixing with the rabble at the Y not Sports Bar to watch some silly folk throwing around and hitting a hard, white ball. My last planned visit to Bali unfortunately never occurred (altercation with a lobster trap, high speed hydraulic winch and snapped anterior and posterior cruciate and lateral medial ligaments saw the end of that - thank god for LARS) and I had intended to drop in to the Sanur neck of the woods. I shall be back one day, I promise.

Missus is good, chilled out and enjoying it here. I get the feeling that when the day finally comes to up roots and make the journey over the ditch, it may well be alone cos she'll want to stay here. Ironic, isn't it?

Kindest regards to all,
A

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
Gozer

Is that so? How about the airport is closed, you're not allowed to go anywhere unless it's an emergency, you're not supposed to make noise, watch TV, have the lights on, and everything is "closed", etc.

These days many hotels have Nyepi packages. As long as you stay within the hotel's boundary, it's business as usual, but you're supposed to be quiet and discreet.
At home, you stay quiet, don't broadcast yourself with lights on or the wandering pecalang, (traditional security guards), might get you.

[FONT=&]
Personally, I like Nyepi but not the hypocrisy surrounding it. I can't walk anywhere but the pecalang can? Hospitals are still "open". What if there's a fire? A robbery?

Like the "spirits" we're supposed to fool into thinking there's nobody on the island doing anything so they'll go away are that stupid?
It's a quaint custom but superficial at best.

The internet is not shut down, handphones still work, people twitter/facebook, use their computers...so what is really the point of it these days?[/FONT]

:apple:

I said, “Other than the day of though, there really is no major impact that I have ever noticed”. Meaning the surrounding days not having much different about them than a normal day. I also do not mind Nyepi, and my comment about aluminum foiling my windows was a joke. I actually just enjoy a rest day.
You are allowed to leave for emergencies such as a fire, though how that started would probably get questioned as you shouldn’t have any fires going on Nyepi. I would hope that the robbers got caught before they got to my house anyway for being out on Nyepi.
In my opinion the point is that you ‘should’ not be doing all that. It should have some level of self control such as giving something up for lent. Just because you can watch Netflix does not mean you should. I know that in my house we leave on one light in the bathroom for my elderly mother-in-law and that is it. My wife and her mother fast, pray, and do what a good Balinese should. I give it a token nod to respect the culture but I still eat and use my kindle.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Gozer

Thanks for the clarification.
My misunderstanding came from your original comment which said:

Other than the day of though, there really is no major impact that I have ever noticed
Without the of part, I probably wouldn't have commented at all.

Cheers.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Adam

You broke what? Stay away from lobsters, amigo.

Missus is good, chilled out and enjoying it here. I get the feeling that when the day finally comes to up roots and make the journey over the ditch, it may well be alone cos she'll want to stay here. Ironic, isn't it?
Ironic indeed.
Happened to me many years ago when my ex-Balinese wife didn't like living in Bali (too hard to make real money here).
Another irony is that years later she's moved back here. Huh?

Thanks for the offer to meet you in some sports bar - we have several here in Sanur so I will pass.

When you do get to visit Sanur again, send me a PM. (We have a new address.)