Nusa Lembongan - Building costs.

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan
Over the period of approx. 18months i went to Indonesia every 3 months just looking at various popular areas that could be reached in one day or less from Denpasar.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Over the period of approx. 18months i went to Indonesia every 3 months just looking at various popular areas that could be reached in one day or less from Denpasar.
There is no place on Bali that cannot be reached in one day.

Distance should not be the deciding factor in your choice of new home location. Although with online shopping growing in leaps and bounds infrastructure is not as important as it used to be there are certain things you still will want to go to a shop and/or talk to someone about.

Note also your access to good staff will also be important - unless you speak excellent Indonesian you'll want people that can understand English so you shouldn't be too far out in the boonies.

The occasional beer with expats will also be welcome I'm sure. I can go on...

Reactions: Glyn

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
This is a funny conversation. 6.5 juta for a square meter. You might as well be in New York, London, Or Paris for these kind of prices. The concept of buying land is an illusion. If you don't pay your taxes the government takes it back. So basically you are just renting. I remember in the States the native people said to the white man when he came and wanted to buy Seattle. Chief Seattle said, how can we sell the land? We don't own it. We are just caretakers. How do you buy the land, the wind, the sunshine. The fish, water, streams.. this is just a concept is brought over from Europe. Life is short, just be thankful to be here for a short while. And don't get attached to possessions. All things will pass. And the new will come. It's the cycle of the universe. Peace

Distance should not be the deciding factor in your choice of new home location. Although with online shopping growing in leaps and bounds infrastructure is not as important as it used to be there are certain things you still will want to go to a shop and/or talk to someone about.

Note also your access to good staff will also be important - unless you speak excellent Indonesian you'll want people that can understand English so you shouldn't be too far out in the boonies.

This reminds of a song I heard years ago from a band then named Peter Pan. It' called Diatas Normal.
Pikiranku tak dapat kumengerti, kaki de kapala, kepala di kaki. That seems to be normal living here. I like the occasional beer part!

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia

Have to agree with that. If you live somewhere with no English/Yank/Oz speaking people around it can get boring real fast unless you want to immerse your self into the local language.
My finding is that a lot of Indonesian people do not speak the same indonesian as you may be taught in classes.

A bit like an Englishman listening to an Aussie talking. It's both English language but indecipherable ...

Cheers
Ken

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
I find it is difficult learning a new language if the teacher doesn't speak your language also. I find it helpful to write things down. It helps me with practicing and pronunciation. I have an app on my computer that translate English to Indonesian, but it won't do Balinese. When you learn to speak here they mix up the Indo and Balinese and a foreigner doesn't realize it. Like the other person said. They mix up words even in Indonesian. Java speaks Bahasa Indonesia different that many words spoken here. Some people are very good at learning languages and some it's more difficult. Markit made a good point about moving where you are isolated.

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan
Have to agree with that. If you live somewhere with no English/Yank/Oz speaking people around it can get boring real fast unless you want to immerse your self into the local language.
My finding is that a lot of Indonesian people do not speak the same indonesian as you may be taught in classes.

A bit like an Englishman listening to an Aussie talking. It's both English language but indecipherable ...

Cheers
Ken
Yes i agree with everything you are saying , i think trying to learn a new language would be hard for many people going to a new country to live.
Cheers
Glyn

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan

Cheers
Ken
Yeah your point about access to good staff is, for me anyway, a very important factor to consider.
Cheers
Glyn

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan

Hi Markit,
Yes i hear what u r saying about distance ( re. "reached in one day ") and you are right .
I should have explained that a bit better :- if it is a villa location that will be utilised / marketed to tourists then i would take distance into consideration but for personal / private use i'm in agreement with you.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
As a rule of thumb the closer you get to Seminyak/Cangu or Ubud the more expensive things get, significantly. The funny thing is its also a moving target -10 years ago Kuta and Seminyak were the only places for "in" crowd (willing to pay lots) would consider. Now Kuta has died and Seminyak is going slowly with Cangu and Ubud bursting at the seams.

Choose carefully! particularly if you also intend to live there - both of the "in" places are hateful to live in now.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
As a rule of thumb the closer you get to Seminyak/Cangu or Ubud the more expensive things get, significantly. The funny thing is its also a moving target -10 years ago Kuta and Seminyak were the only places for "in" crowd (willing to pay lots) would consider. Now Kuta has died and Seminyak is going slowly with Cangu and Ubud bursting at the seams.

Choose carefully! particularly if you also intend to live there - both of the "in" places are hateful to live in now.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Well you have to admit. Thirty years ago Kuta was so full of thieves and prostitutes, it's not a loss to see it go. The problem now is Canngu and Ubud getting so crowded and expensive they have lost the magic also. It's not only tourist but the locals are looking for big bucks and have created traffic jams. The new tourist haven't a clue on fair prices so the cost goes up and up. Yea you can can get a tasty meal, coffee fancy villa, and the like, but turning these places into spas, gyms, crazy priced accommodation, it loses the magic of Bali. If this is the way of the future, I am feeling left behind in my way of trying to learn about the land and the culture of Bali, like it was long ago when us tourist were first coming. If this is what people want then they can have it. I'm going to Karangasem where it is still slower and more chill. To each their own.Peace

Glyn

May 11, 2023
Dream Beach Lembongan

Yeah , good food for thought.
Cheers
Glyn

meremortal

Jun 12, 2023
Could anybody give me an idea of building costs for a villa and pool on Nusa Lembongan. Thanks G.
hi g, the reason i joined this site recently is because i paid a builder (whom was associated with a friend of mine and Jehoval Witness (very honest and hardworking people from my experience) $30k to extend a staff house and renovate a dapur and two timber villas (all only built 7 years prior but needed a bit of work on the timber due to borers). the work, near balian beach, was never finalized (meant to be finished in feb23) and the building company, although looked very professional (catu Kreasi Utama) no longer exists (the two partners, one of which i was associated through a friend, split as obviously the business was no longer good). so all i can say is make sure you don't put yourself in the same position. sadly i'm stuck in margaret river, western australia with my old rescued greyhound and rescued chooks and am unable to get away from my very busy bio-organic land husbandry property (it's on the market so upkeep is very important at the moment). i did contact a member of this website and they said buy your own materials and pay the workers weekly when one is on site. that does nothing for the refund of my money or for us to have a place to live with the animals upon arrival (we're travelling private jet for fears of all sorts of stuff!). good luck on your search. used to spend my winter months surfing at lacerations (early 2000s). i've heard now it's overpopulated and the greedy white westerner has almost destroyed the whole island? :(. there were no cars or motorbikes when i first went there. and i bought some land in the mangroves area. wonder where that is now! haha

Reactions: Geoffd

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
hi g, the reason i joined this site recently is because i paid a builder (whom was associated with a friend of mine and Jehoval Witness (very honest and hardworking people from my experience) $30k to extend a staff house and renovate a dapur and two timber villas (all only built 7 years prior but needed a bit of work on the timber due to borers). the work, near balian beach, was never finalized (meant to be finished in feb23) and the building company, although looked very professional (catu Kreasi Utama) no longer exists (the two partners, one of which i was associated through a friend, split as obviously the business was no longer good). so all i can say is make sure you don't put yourself in the same position. sadly i'm stuck in margaret river, western australia with my old rescued greyhound and rescued chooks and am unable to get away from my very busy bio-organic land husbandry property (it's on the market so upkeep is very important at the moment). i did contact a member of this website and they said buy your own materials and pay the workers weekly when one is on site. that does nothing for the refund of my money or for us to have a place to live with the animals upon arrival (we're travelling private jet for fears of all sorts of stuff!). good luck on your search. used to spend my winter months surfing at lacerations (early 2000s). i've heard now it's overpopulated and the greedy white westerner has almost destroyed the whole island? :(. there were no cars or motorbikes when i first went there. and i bought some land in the mangroves area. wonder where that is now! haha
I needed a fecking rest after reading this. I was really starting to feel sorry for you up and until you mentioned the private jet.

You sound like your own invasive species.

Go with your God, but go.