Notaris Question?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
From all I have ever understood a notaris could only operate in their own kabupaten with the exception of a notaris holding a doctorate. A notaris holding a doctorate in that field was permitted to operate anywhere in the propinsi. Now have encountered a notaris claiming he can operate anywhere in Bali, and doesn't have a doctorate.
Does anyone have valid information concerning this?

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
From all I have ever understood a notaris could only operate in their own kabupaten with the exception of a notaris holding a doctorate. A notaris holding a doctorate in that field was permitted to operate anywhere in the propinsi. Now have encountered a notaris claiming he can operate anywhere in Bali, and doesn't have a doctorate.
Does anyone have valid information concerning this?
I was/am of the same view as you, on the basis of it being explained to me by a Notaris themselves - though I was unaware of the doctorate caveat. That is a Notaris can only operate in the area where they are registered.

Have seen an out-of-area notaris sub-contract to an in-area notaris as a work-around but of couse that's gonna be double the cost.

Not sure, if its their bag but might be able to get a definitive answer from the land office. They were awfully helpful when I visited a few years back.

Last edited:

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Where no complaint there's no need of a judge. Simple-speak: if you go along with him/it then who cares?
per my post above, you will likely care when you get hit by an oversize bill due to a subcontract or when at the last minute the land office reject the transaction and you are left scrambling, fees already paid to this chap with the need to get a new notaris and start over at your cost.

The notion of 'due care' doesn't seem to apply here.

Reactions: mugwump

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Notary costs are open to negotiation (they won't tell you that) they just show their little price list and expect you t agree. Don't.

I thought it's the notary that drives everything through the land office. Mine did all the guff with stamps and signatures.

Having said all that why would you need to use a notary from out of area? I can't throw a stone without hitting 3 of them before it hits the ground...

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I was/am of the same view as you, on the basis of it being explained to me by a Notaris themselves - though I was unaware of the doctorate caveat. That is a Notaris can only operate in the area where they are registered.

Have seen an out-of-area notaris sub-contract to an in-area notaris as a work-around but of couse that's gonna be double the cost.

Not sure, if its their bag but might be able to get a definitive answer from the land office. They were awfully helpful when I visited a few years back.
Britoo you apparently have answered this question right on the head from all that I have discovered from questioning another notaris as well as learning from research info. governing their practice.
A notaris is limited to his own area of practice unless he connects with another notaris in the required area which as you suggest would involve being billed by both.
Thanks for the assist!