North Bali airport plans

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Apparently there was an article in Jawa Pos about the president coming to north Bali to lay the first stone for the north Bali airport this coming August.

I can't confirm this is true or not.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
This is the recent article in Jawa Pos: http://radarbali.jawapos.com/read/2...letakan-batu-pertama-dilakukan-akhir-agustus-

And Google translation:

Megaproyek manufacture of international airports in Buleleng continue to be matured. Information and data obtained by this newspaper, laying the first stone of the airport done end of August. Precisely dated August 28, 2017. The laying of the first stone is planned to be attended by President Joko Widodo directly.

The airport construction cost is estimated to reach Rp 50 trillion and will be done for eight years. The progress of the airport construction itself is said to be just waiting for the location determination from the Ministry of Transportation.

From the proposed recommendations of the district and Bali provincial governments, the airport will be built in East Buleleng, exactly in Kubu Tambahan.

Presdien Director of PT International Airport Bali Utara (BIBU), Dr. Made Mangku, to the media crew stated that the location requirements have been completed. PT BIBU who took the investor Kinesis Canada (AKC). Until now claimed to have not found the problem.

Explained, from the airport development planning concept there is no significant change. The airport is built on an area of 2,150 hectares. Half of the land is built on the sea by extending the land and the rest of the land.

"The airport is planned to be built with two runways. Runway lengths are 7 km more each, so large commercial aircraft can land, "said Made Mangku.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
"The airport is planned to be built with two runways. Runway lengths are 7 km more each, so large commercial aircraft can land, "said Made Mangku.

7 kms each!!!!! At 23,000ft that makes them the longest runways on the planet. The current longest runway is in China and about 18,000ft.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
7 kms each!!!!! At 23,000ft that makes them the longest runways on the planet. The current longest runway is in China and about 18,000ft.

Maybe Pak Mangku had one too many? An average commercial runway at sea level is about 2,500 m, or about 8,000+ ft!

And what are they going to do with all the passengers? All the int'l tourist hotels are in the South... My suggestion is to pave the whole f***ing island and be done with it!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
And what are they going to do with all the passengers? All the int'l tourist hotels are in the South... My suggestion is to pave the whole f***ing island and be done with it!

I suggest you come for a visit: From east of Lovina to Amed is dotted with hundreds of hotels/homestays and luxury villas enough to take up the slack until the major road is in and I do believe there just may be few hotels in Ubud (about an hour away from the suggested airport site) willing to house some refugees that don't want to go south.

I can see the northern airport being for your more discerning guest and the riff-raff landing in the south...?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know if this the right thing to do or not. But I think it is good the government is making advanced plans now.

Tintin has a good point though. The time to putting aside more green zones is now, with absolute strict regulations and enforcement. Unfortunately as we know this is near impossible here.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Built in 8 years? Really? And runways 7 kms long?
I wonder how the “road project” is progressing to connect somewhere near Seririt to Denpasar – great idea that one. (A Bali government official recently stated that he didn’t see any necessity to build a North-South toll road in the first place.)

So – maybe one day people land in Kubutambahan and want to get from there to the South or central parts of Bali. No problem – get transport from airport through to Singaraja, past Lovina, along to Seririt, turn left and then all the way down to Denpasar. Sounds like a winner to me.

The way things are going in Bali these days, it’s hard to envisage how, when, or if the problems it’s facing right now will be resolved. If this airport manages to get built within the next decade, there may not be a viable tourism industry left.

An equally silly proposal to build a railway system around the entire coast of Bali went through years of “planning” and died a silent death. It wasn’t so much “silly” as impractical (and uneconomic). The idea itself had some merit, but getting it done proved to be too hard.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I suggest you come for a visit: From east of Lovina to Amed is dotted with hundreds of hotels/homestays and luxury villas enough to take up the slack until the major road is in and I do believe there just may be few hotels in Ubud (about an hour away from the suggested airport site) willing to house some refugees that don't want to go south.
I can see the northern airport being for your more discerning guest and the riff-raff landing in the south...?

"More discerning" guests would probably avoid "landing" in a floating airport literally miles from any where. If the airport gets built, (still a big if IMO), and a "major road" is in place that gets people from there to the South, how long will it take them? These days it takes more than three hours by the shortest route.

If the airport turns out to be a financial flop, it might offer cheaper fares to North Bali as an incentive. That might result in more "riff-raff" arriving in the North (and East). Be careful what you wish for. Maybe they should have considered building the second airport in Karangasem. At least there are existing roads and it's shorter to get to the South/centre.

Where is the route from Ubud to Kubutambahan "about an hour away"?
Did you have mushrooms for breakfast?

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA

Sorry, Markit, but the capacity, and infrastructure just does not exist in North Bali, and it wont exist until the whole place is destroyed as a result. At present, it's a pleasant amateur hour , but amateur hour nevertheless. Lovina was first, and look what happened to it. Around 1990, we created the modest Pondok Sari, in Pemuteran, which eventually grew up into several more hotels, including our Taman Sari. This was the seed which brought more tourist accommodations in the area, and it's now like a cancer. And it's happening all along the coast and the results are not justifying an int'l class airport in Kubutambahan.

PS. On my motorcycle, from Ubud to Singaraja, it took about 2 hours.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
From the present airport to Sanur or Kerbokan it CAN also take 2 hours.

I'm a bit faster on my motor scooter but won't argue about a half hour.

My point still remains that there is enough northern infrastructure there now to make go of the new airport. Should it get build (which I also doubt) the rest will follow at speed. It's only taken 5 years for all the cheapy hotels in the south to flourish. Again, not that I wish for that I'm purely saying it won't be as bad as all the reverse Pollyanna's profess.

They call it progress and it seems almost impossible for old people to grasp the benefits but just compare the world, on nearly any metric you choose, with 50 years ago and it's a better place!

P.S. I really like Lovina for a visit. Great nitelife and good restos with a laid back decadent air that suits me completely.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur

I hope that Airports Kinesis Consulting know by now exactly where Kubutambahan is. From their site:

Supposed to be the major gateway in Bali and the surrounding areas for passengers and freight, NBIA Airport is located in Kubutambahan near shore area at only thirteen kilometers west from Singaraja and only five kilometers from Kubutambahan center.

Kubutambahan is east of Singaraja. Maybe it’s already started floating westwards.

:oops:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I hope that Airports Kinesis Consulting know by now exactly where Kubutambahan is. From their site:
Kubutambahan is east of Singaraja. Maybe it’s already started floating westwards.:oops:

Not only your observation Johnny but how about looking at their video.
1. If a pilot made an approach, and was so-far off the centre-line at that late stage and didn't commence a go-around, he'd fail a check flight.
2. I've never known an aircraft to have wheels down without flaps out.
3. They had an aircraft land with no flaps...that would be an emergency.
4. This video is for Indonesia yet the cars are driving on the wrong side.
5. They have one aircraft landing on one runway and another 'landing' on the other in the opposite direction
6. They have one aircraft landing and another 'taking off' in the other direction...this doesn't happen.
If this company can make so many mistakes on their presentation...how can they be trusted to build and run an airport?

Reactions: tintin

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Not only your observation Johnny but how about looking at their video.
1. If a pilot made an approach, and was so-far off the centre-line at that late stage and didn't commence a go-around, he'd fail a check flight.
2. I've never known an aircraft to have wheels down without flaps out.
3. They had an aircraft land with no flaps...that would be an emergency.
4. This video is for Indonesia yet the cars are driving on the wrong side.
5. They have one aircraft landing on one runway and another 'landing' on the other in the opposite direction
6. They have one aircraft landing and another 'taking off' in the other direction...this doesn't happen.
If this company can make so many mistakes on their presentation...how can they be trusted to build and run an airport?

I did watch the video and was amazed at the sheer immensity of the plan. For a projected USD3 billion, what could go wrong?
I hope that the other Canadian company, which did wind-tunnel tests on the GWK statue and gave it a pass mark, got it right. Supposedly good for all anticipated wind events for 100 years!

:cool: