Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and you all seem very friendly and knowledgeable. So I have a question that I am hoping you'll be able to answer.

A small group of my friends and I are planning to go to Bali for a long stay (couple of years or more) this fall. One of my friends has a son (coming along) - elementary school age. He only speaks Russian at the moment. Although we understand that the boy will pick up English and bahasa bali real fast while living there, he will only speak Russian in the beginning. Does anyone have experience or heard of someone successfully sending their non-english speaking kids to an international school in Bali? As far as I can see majority of international schools in bali require knowledge of English from their prospective students.
Any insights, please?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Dobra Di

There will certainly be very few who speak Russian :D Children however are very quick to learn languages but it can be very frustrating in the beginning as they try to interact and cannot. Bahasa Bali is not spoke to a great extent in International schools as it is mostly for expat kids rather than local but you may find Bahasa Indonesia spoken

As an aside my eldest son never spoke english until he was five. He then entered the english school system and very quickly picked it up even with the local accent. Good luck. Are you all coming to work in Bali?

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
There will certainly be very few who speak Russian Children however are very quick to learn languages but it can be very frustrating in the beginning as they try to interact and cannot. Bahasa Bali is not spoke to a great extent in International schools as it is mostly for expat kids rather than local but you may find Bahasa Indonesia spoken

Russian is one of the msot popular languages to learn here now. There are schools popping up every where teaching russian to locals and there are many businesses with signs and staff who speak russian. Russia is one of the biggest growing markets here. And ther are several russian speaking children in my sons school. I know several restaurants where you are more likely to be given a russian manu than an english one. I also have a freind who is married to s russian and thay have opened a luxurius spa here in Jimbaran. Let mw know if you want more info or to be out in touch.

Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
Thank you, Jimbo and Mimpi!
I know that there are tons of Russians in Bali now both visiting and owning businesses, but I couldn't imagine that they would even start teaching Russian to locals... Hm. That's some expansion.
Jimbo, when your son went to school (Bali or England?) they accepted him even though he didn't speak any English? And Mimpi, those Russian kids in your son's school - how was their English in the beginning? Our biggest concern is that he won't be even accepted to an international school based on his absent English. Any info about acceptance policy in this case, please??

We are coming to stay for some time and hopefully our small business initiative will go through so yes, we are coming to work too. But mostly we are choosing a different way of life like you did.

Thank you very much, Mimpi, I most certainly want to be in touch and I am sure that I will have other questions for you and other members. We are considering Jimbaran as our home base too. Mimpi, could you please tell me (approximately) what could be the prices now for a four bedroom house in Jimbaran w/ and w/o pool per year? Nothing too fancy. Thanks!!!!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
And Mimpi, those Russian kids in your son's school - how was their English in the beginning? Our biggest concern is that he won't be even accepted to an international school based on his absent English. Any info about acceptance policy in this case, please??

I cant say how their Engosh was when they started but I do know that they accept non English speaking children as at a graduation ceremony last week for the Pre school children moving up to Primary - there was praise for one child who had joined with no english - and was now doing really well.

I can comment on prices for any 4 bedroom houses as I havent looked at any myself but to give you an idea of what a smaller house would cost;

My house is 2 bedroom + maid room 30 million
There is a similar house across the road for rent at the moment for 25 million.
A slighly bigger house over the road just went of r 32 million (two bedrooms but one with ensuite)
A freind of mine has a small 2 bedroom house newly completed for 24 million.

That should give you some idea for comparisons when you are looking at bigger houses.

Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
Mimpi, thank you for such useful info!! I guess it can be safely said then that at least one international school will take our Russian boy. What's the name of the school? I'll have to look it up.

Again, thank you for the real prices. Jimbaran is far from being the cheapest area of Bali, right? Overall, I guess we should aim at about USD 4K as the lowest price....

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Martica I am not sure it would be classed as an International school.

It is a Montessori school and classes are taught in English. The children are a mixture of various expat nationalities and Indonesian.

They have a website but it is not very up to date but it will give you an idea. http://www.balichildrenshouse.com/

I am more than happy with the school. Infact I am now Secretary of the Parent Committee Board :D

Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
I wonder what an international school is then? ) there are all kinds of nationalities in your school being taught in English - that pretty much should make it international? )) I liked their website very much, unfortunately they don't have kids older than 9, and this boy is already 8, and coming from a non-montessori school.
Well, it's for the parents to decide.

thank you sooooo much for your help!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I dont know what classes a school as International either - I just know Children's House doesnt call itself one. Maybe the curriculum they follow or having native speakers. All the children and teachers at childrens house are indonesian.

One other difference I see with schools that call themselves "international" is the price!

Sorry your freind's boy will be too old for this school but hopefully you all will be able to find somehwere else suitable. Good luck :)

Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
Mimpi, you are right, probably curriculum and foreign teachers play a role in calling the school international. If you don't mind, i'll bother you with some more questions please.
I think your son is about 5, right? Probably it's too early for you to encounter but do you think they teach enough math at Montessori schools? How strong they are overall in precise sciences?
I know they are great about artistic and creative development....

Could you hint at the price too, please? He still has one year, the parents will consider this school too.

Jimbo, frustrating is good for learning a foreign language. Stimulates a lot. I'm glad your boy had no problems with admission!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Martica

My son is turning 3 next month, so is not yet doing Maths. He has just completed his first year in preschool.

For pre school it costs about Rp10 million per year which is split into fees per term/ plus an annual fee. There is also a one off joining fee so I thnk we paid about 13 million the first term. The primary school rates may be different to pre school and I can find out for you but it is the school holidays at the moment so it will have to wait until mid July.

Martica Ida

Jun 19, 2009
Moscow, Russia (for now)
Oh, i'm sorry i was mistaken about your son's age. :oops: Yeah, i guess it's about four years too early to think about math... But congrats on his finishing the first year of school!

Thank you for the price info. Yes, probably primary school should cost more so I would be very grateful if you could really ask there at school when somebody is around.

connected56

Oct 8, 2010
Puri Gading, Jimbaran, Bali
No problem

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and you all seem very friendly and knowledgeable. So I have a question that I am hoping you'll be able to answer.

A small group of my friends and I are planning to go to Bali for a long stay (couple of years or more) this fall. One of my friends has a son (coming along) - elementary school age. He only speaks Russian at the moment. Although we understand that the boy will pick up English and bahasa bali real fast while living there, he will only speak Russian in the beginning. Does anyone have experience or heard of someone successfully sending their non-english speaking kids to an international school in Bali? As far as I can see majority of international schools in bali require knowledge of English from their prospective students.
Any insights, please?

I teach Gr. 2 at the Asian International School in Puri Gading, Jimbaran. I just got a new girl in my class who is Russian and is learning English. A couple of days ago a French boy came to Gr. 1 who doesn't know any English. I've been teaching for 25 years and have had many ESL students. Kids pick up new languages very quickly - I'd say within 4 to 6 months.

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010

Any insights, please?

More importantly, the boy isn't going to a local school full stop unless Indonesian and isn't going to an international school without KITAS. Your first priority will be to organize that. Please also don't kid yourself that the standard of English in a normal SD will be enough for him to progress. OK, english is more widely spoken in Bali than the norm, but it still may not be enough. An intensive english course will be required first, or he will waste too much valuable time learning english to be able to study (though of course the english is uselful on it's own).

I expect junior must already be here by now......

Last edited:

rain

Jul 29, 2009
what about a pre-school kid?

I'm writing here just to not open a new similar post.
We're moving to Bali for 6 months next january and we have a 4 years girl that speaks only italian.
She won't go to pre-school for these 6 months, we'll be there on a social visa and we won't work for the moment but we'll try to find something to live with in this period.
If things go in the right direction she'll have only 1 year of pre-school to attend before going to school.
She's a little shy and I'm worried it'll be hard for her to communicate with other children.
Any insight on this?
Thanks,
Rain