No 2nd referendum - you read it here first

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Although I was not eligible, I signed the petition, just to see what would happen.

I received this email an hour or so ago.

(tried to post this in the 'Nothing to do with Bali' section, but for some reason, it ended up here)
==================
The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”.

Government responded:

The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

The EU Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015. The Act was scrutinised and debated in Parliament during its passage and agreed by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Act set out the terms under which the referendum would take place, including provisions for setting the date, franchise and the question that would appear on the ballot paper. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement to the House of Commons on 27 June, the referendum was one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say. The Prime Minister and Government have been clear that this was a once in a generation vote and, as the Prime Minister has said, the decision must be respected. We must now prepare for the process to exit the EU and the Government is committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for the British people in the negotiations.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
SamD...you and the other 4.1M -1 who have petitioned have been rejected by the UK Gov't. Go Ozzie and a Turnbull majority that we Brits overseas also didn't get a vote.....:icon_wink:

Last edited: