Nice to meet you! Trying the whole digital nomad thing. I need friends lol!

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
I am Clay from the United States. I am 26 and work in IT/Data Analytics currently as a digital nomad, and I've been in Bali for about 8 months. Sports are some of my passions and I really like to play basketball and baseball. If anyone knows a good place to play basketball please let me know. Also, I would love to get better at surfing since board sports aren't my forte, but I love the ocean. I've certainly enjoyed plenty of snorkeling thus far on the island. Growing up, my father and I kept reefs and I became rather well-educated on marine species, so I would be a bit of an amateur marine biologist if you ever went snorkeling with me. Anyways, just looking to establish my expat friendbase. I am close with a few Indonesian folks, however, my bahasa still needs a great deal of work, and I'm certainly not fitting in as a local right now.

Reactions: McAdoo

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Welcome Clay and good luck. Be aware that Immigrazzi tend to frequent forums and FarceBook so try not admitting to working illegally here on Bali as much as you can. For the rest I'm afraid you've landed with a bunch of crusty, old expats (not me of course) and they're mostly to degenerate to appreciate your fresh, honest and open approach but keep on trying.

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
On the Business visa I am allowed to work remotely, correct? Or should I say "correct, ya?" I'll try to lighten my approach. Yeah, certainly the folks around here aren't as stuck up as where I'm from it seems.

I am not a social media user, anyways. Farcebook has been out of my life for years at this point. I am an older soul from my generation as the older ones have put it, so maybe I wouldn't have much trouble getting in with the older crowd. Never been the type of personality to chronicle my life from a smartphone as I've seen other bule doing. I'm not here for a vacation, and well, even if I was, I wouldn't be shoving a camera in my own face everywhere. I may not be crusty (actually maybe I am), but I am certainly old. Always have been.

Looking for any way to give up my smartphone for a Nokia anyways. Or buy one of the designated dumbphones with GPS only.

Last edited:

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
On the Business visa I am allowed to work remotely, correct? Or should I say "correct, ya?" I'll try to lighten my approach. Yeah, certainly the folks around here aren't as stuck up as where I'm from it seems.

I am not a social media user, anyways. Farcebook has been out of my life for years at this point. I am an older soul from my generation as the older ones have put it, so maybe I wouldn't have much trouble getting in with the older crowd. Never been the type of personality to chronicle my life from a smartphone as I've seen other bule doing. I'm not here for a vacation, and well, even if I was, I wouldn't be shoving a camera in my own face everywhere. I may not be crusty (actually maybe I am), but I am certainly old. Always have been.

Looking for any way to give up my smartphone for a Nokia anyways. Or buy one of the designated dumbphones with GPS only.
So Alas no, assuming you mean a B211 - business visa. You can legitimately engage in business activities ie discussions, sourcing, procurement, networking, investigating business opportunities etc. but strictly speaking you cannot engage in income generating paid work whilst in Indonesia, (regardless of where the work source might be) using this visa. To legally work (whilst) in Indonesia, you need a KITAS.

https://coconuts.co/bali/features/t...-visa-plans-and-what-it-means-for-the-island/

That said, there's 1,000s of people doing it here and the authroities are aware and are currently feeling benevolant so Markit's right, keep your head down, your nose clean and hopefully the 5 year will become available sooner than later and wwill sweep away the grey areas.

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
So Alas no, assuming you mean a B211 - business visa. You can legitimately engage in business activities ie discussions, sourcing, procurement, networking, investigating business opportunities etc. but strictly speaking you cannot engage in income generating paid work whilst in Indonesia, (regardless of where the work source might be) using this visa. To legally work (whilst) in Indonesia, you need a KITAS.

https://coconuts.co/bali/features/t...-visa-plans-and-what-it-means-for-the-island/

That said, there's 1,000s of people doing it here and the authroities are aware and are currently feeling benevolant so Markit's right, keep your head down, your nose clean and hopefully the 5 year will become available sooner than later and wwill sweep away the grey areas.
How much you guys thinking the 5-year will cost? Something absurd? 5 years worth of business visas?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I am Clay from the United States. I am 26 and work in IT/Data Analytics currently as a digital nomad, and I've been in Bali for about 8 months. Sports are some of my passions and I really like to play basketball and baseball. If anyone knows a good place to play basketball please let me know. Also, I would love to get better at surfing since board sports aren't my forte, but I love the ocean. I've certainly enjoyed plenty of snorkeling thus far on the island. Growing up, my father and I kept reefs and I became rather well-educated on marine species, so I would be a bit of an amateur marine biologist if you ever went snorkeling with me. Anyways, just looking to establish my expat friendbase. I am close with a few Indonesian folks, however, my bahasa still needs a great deal of work, and I'm certainly not fitting in as a local right now.
As someone old and beyond crusty I have always been a keen ocean person. (Worked as a lighthouse keeper in my 20s.) Still love snorkeling. So where do you snorkel and where are you located.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
How long before this guy comes on here talking about his taxi driver "friend" Wayan and asking us for land buying advice using a nominee agreement? I give it 2 more months.

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
See what I mean? And these are just the ones that admit to being degenerate, crusty, old assholes. But you're doing fine. I think some of them are beginning to crack (or die).

• Haha
Reactions: JackStraw

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
See what I mean? And these are just the ones that admit to being degenerate, crusty, old assholes. But you're doing fine. I think some of them are beginning to crack (or die).
Just having a little laugh and tough love. Something these younger generations wouldn't understand. Good luck Clay and welcome to Bali. Keep your wits about you and you'll be alright.

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
As someone old and beyond crusty I have always been a keen ocean person. (Worked as a lighthouse keeper in my 20s.) Still love snorkeling. So where do you snorkel and where are you located.
I had frequented Gunung Payung until the guys there no longer allowed anyone to venture down on a bike, and required payment for use of the little shuttle. Haven't been there in months. Nusa Dua is where I go most frequently for snorkeling now. Amed Beach is the absolute best however I have only made the 2-hour drive once. Shame I can't have my own helicopter here that could take me from place to place. I'm not sure of any other snorkeling spots in Kuta or Kuta Selatan but would love to know some if they exist. If have lived all over south of Denpasar and am located in Jimbaran now.

Sorry for any double postings or odd looking posts. The wifi is problematic and I'm not sure when my replies have been posted or not given how the page cuts out every time when I click post.

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
How long before this guy comes on here talking about his taxi driver "friend" Wayan and asking us for land buying advice using a nominee agreement? I give it 2 more months.
It took me only a month or two to realize everyone's name is Wayan. I mentioned to my friend if I shouted "Oi, Wayan!" into a crowd I'd probably turn at least half the heads. Not sure if this is related to your quip or not but maybe it is.

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
I met one named Jokit... super nice and is hooking me up with a FANTASTIC deal. Anyway... so, how does this nominee agreement work? As I understand now, it's going to take $5000 up front, with a hand written receipt, to be finalized at a warung just outside of Kuta on a side road around 10pm. Seem right?

;-)

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Give him a break. He only just got here, asked some questions and now getting dumped on as a moron who can't spot a scam. Not everyone in Bali is trying to scam you. Just like not everyone is called Wayan. Use your common sense and you will be ok.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Give him a break. He only just got here, asked some questions and now getting dumped on as a moron who can't spot a scam. Not everyone in Bali is trying to scam you. Just like not everyone is called Wayan. Use your common sense and you will be ok.
Come on mate, relax. We're all just partaking in a little newbie hazing. It's all in good fun. Have a Bintang, laugh a bit and enjoy life for a change.

Reactions: Chris W

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
Come on mate, relax. We're all just partaking in a little newbie hazing. It's all in good fun. Have a Bintang, laugh a bit and enjoy life for a change.
It's fine. Just e-hazing anyways. Gives me some info still to go off of. I know the older gens don't like the younger ones but outside of my technological lifestyle my personality is absolutely not of my own gen.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Fair enough. Not sure what you mean by older gens not liking the younger ones. WTF is e-hazing???? Signing off this thread. Cheers.

clayftheusa

Jul 31, 2022
Fair enough. Not sure what you mean by older gens not liking the younger ones. WTF is e-hazing???? Signing off this thread. Cheers.
Older gens calling younger ones spoiled or bratty. In my opinion they are only spoiled some of the time but bratty at least half the time ;)
And hey, many of them have had it rough with cyberbullying or, erm, e-hazing. Just kidding, I know it is all in good fun.