CPT

Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

I am shortly to arrive in Bali, and intending to go and teach for a while at English Town. I have done much reading up on how to survive on the low pay, (though further comments welcome), my question is really whether anyone has good or bad things to say about the School itself and working there (IE is it nice:eagerness:)??

If its not a good idea to speak here, please do message.

Otherwise - is there anywhere one can look at jobs listed in Bali? A good site or source, just so that I can see what else is happening in Bali - I know jobs aren't easy to come by.

Thanks in advance.

:calm:

jiminc

Feb 19, 2013
Hello,

I am shortly to arrive in Bali, and intending to go and teach for a while at English Town. I have done much reading up on how to survive on the low pay, (though further comments welcome), my question is really whether anyone has good or bad things to say about the School itself and working there (IE is it nice:eagerness:)??

If its not a good idea to speak here, please do message.

Otherwise - is there anywhere one can look at jobs listed in Bali? A good site or source, just so that I can see what else is happening in Bali - I know jobs aren't easy to come by.

Thanks in advance.

:calm:

hi, English Town is one of the market leader in indonesia to learn english :), i know cause i lived in jakarta for 8 years and bali for 2 years :)

their facility is also top notch and reputation is impeccable

i hope this answer your question

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
hi, English Town is one of the market leader in indonesia to learn english :), i know cause i lived in jakarta for 8 years and bali for 2 years :)

their facility is also top notch and reputation is impeccable

i hope this answer your question

Help me out here: How does living in Jakarta for 8 years and Bali for 2 make you an expert on the workings and rep of "English Town" as a company/employer?

Have to also say your English aint gonna add to your rep much either...:ambivalence:

CPT

Feb 14, 2013
English Town Bali: Denpasar and Kuta - Comments and reviews??

Help me out here: How does living in Jakarta for 8 years and Bali for 2 make you an expert on the workings and rep of "English Town" as a company/employer?

Have to also say your English aint gonna add to your rep much either...:ambivalence:

I really am quite keen to find out what this particular group and their schools are like - current actions send mixed messages, once I join I sign up for a year and owe them the equivalent of 2 months salary (for visa processing), the salary is just enough to get by (IE I cant pay my way out if I hate it). I have to commit soon and am meeting with them this week, and have to commit thereafter - I am concerned because I already had to loan to get here, they have moved out my start date by a few days already, etc - I would love a few good reviews to boost my confidence in them - the pay is really bad, I don't want to take the job if the are not pleasant and teachers aren't having a generally good time working for them. I read some old reviews that were generally positive, but nothing recent with any detail. ....

Maybe I will have a chance to speak to an existing teacher after I meet with them and before I have to commit.

Thanks though.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If you are getting 10,000,000rp per month pay, they are supplying housing to the value of 30,000,000rp per year, they pay for all your visa's & licences plus your return airfare at the end of your 1year contract. Don't forget that you get paid for 13months in 1 year. That would be a fare contract. Now there are some dodgy contracts around, you have to enter Indonesia on your work Kitas not a VOA, no exit permit, holding you passport & document till your contract is finished& no airfare out which is illegal. If you have to pay for your visa processing (Dodgy), Worker I know that get no benefits, there salaries start at 45,000,000rp per month.

CPT

Feb 14, 2013
If you are getting 10,000,000rp per month pay, they are supplying housing to the value of 30,000,000rp per year, they pay for all your visa's & licences plus your return airfare at the end of your 1year contract. Don't forget that you get paid for 13months in 1 year. That would be a fare contract. Now there are some dodgy contracts around, you have to enter Indonesia on your work Kitas not a VOA, no exit permit, holding you passport & document till your contract is finished& no airfare out which is illegal. If you have to pay for your visa processing (Dodgy), Worker I know that get no benefits, there salaries start at 45,000,000rp per month.

They are only offering 6,500 000.00 as a salary. 40 hour week (8 hour shifts somewhere from 7am to 12am) A thirteenth cheque. No return flights, housing assistance etc. They pay for your visa processing only which is locked in your 1 year contract for 12,000 000.00 (if you want to leave you have to pay a percentage of that, the amount is dependent on how long you have been there when you leave, it stays 100 % for a while).

I didn't come here to "make money", but I dont want to be really struggling either - I want to have a good time and get by if I live simply, but the money worries me, and if they are not good people, I am twice as worried.

I am open to and looking at any other situations that may come along before I commit - taking a few years away from a "serious career", and considering new options along the way, so its not as important to me what I do, as long as its not too stressful and the hours are reasonable. I have done teachers TEFL now, so thats how this offer came along. I would also be open to working in a retreat / organizing etc, but jobs in general in Bali seem few on the ground unless you have a lot of experience in that area (which is fair enough I suppose).

I would feel far more confident if the salaries were around 10 with the benefits you are mentioning I have to say!
I will keep looking around.

thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
It is a legal requirement for companies to supply a exit permit & airfares out of the country when your contract is finished. If you are in Bali & they sign you up, you will need to pick your kitas in a Indonesian embassy or you will pick your Kitas up on your way to Indonesia. Most teachers go to other parts of Indonesia to work then try for something in Bali that is worth while. Good luck, you will need it if you work for that contract.

kri$

Dec 9, 2012
They are only offering 6,500 000.00 as a salary. 40 hour week (8 hour shifts somewhere from 7am to 12am) A thirteenth cheque. No return flights, housing assistance etc. They pay for your visa processing only which is locked in your 1 year contract for 12,000 000.00 (if you want to leave you have to pay a percentage of that, the amount is dependent on how long you have been there when you leave, it stays 100 % for a while).

I didn't come here to "make money", but I dont want to be really struggling either - I want to have a good time and get by if I live simply, but the money worries me, and if they are not good people, I am twice as worried.

I am open to and looking at any other situations that may come along before I commit - taking a few years away from a "serious career", and considering new options along the way, so its not as important to me what I do, as long as its not too stressful and the hours are reasonable. I have done teachers TEFL now, so thats how this offer came along. I would also be open to working in a retreat / organizing etc, but jobs in general in Bali seem few on the ground unless you have a lot of experience in that area (which is fair enough I suppose).

I would feel far more confident if the salaries were around 10 with the benefits you are mentioning I have to say!
I will keep looking around.

thanks for the help.

Unfortunately for you when they say 40 hours a week between the hours of 7 am - 12am that usually means that you will be working mornings and evenings and all the hours inbetween that you spend there are not on the clock to unless your house is very near to the school expect to be spending a lot more than 40 hours there. EF use that little trick. You wont get a salary over 10 million in Bali even though the cost of living is higher, you have to work in jakarta for the bigger salaries. Congrats on getting a Bali job straight out of TEFL though, thats not easy to do

natta

May 19, 2011
Jimbaran
Do you have a degree or diploma? I was advised by friends working there that the rules have changed and you must have one of these to actually qualify for a kitas. The shifts are usually set shifts so either morning or afternoon and usually you can pick up additional shifts if you want to earn some extra cash. The kitas process is not instant, so are they applying for this before you come to bali or are you working at ET illegally until it comes through (maybe around 6 weeks +) and if thats the case will they pay your trip to Singapore to procees the visa. Usually the package will include an airfare home at the end of the 12 months and also medical insurance - perhaps check that this is part of your package.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Rp 6,500,000 is not a lot but it is possible to cover your costs. I don't think you'll have much money left for anything else though.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Do I understand this correctly? You have to pay rent (Kos & motorbike), food, health insurance, gasoline with 6.5 Juta / Month?
AND have to save money for a return flight? Wow...