New member - lots of questions ...

Frinz22

Oct 13, 2022
Hi all,
I am new on this blog and we are pretty new in Bali. My partner and I came and stayed here when Covid hit two years ago and remained as some of the rare tourists for many months. We are now back, to a completely different Bali. With so many tourists that we are still wondering if it's the right place to be. But our friends who run Airbnb love it and our Balinese friends also much prefer it to the Covid times.
Anyway, we have been following past discussions on this blog over the past months and we found very good advice and suggestions. Over the next months you will probably find a ton of questions from our end and we'd appreciate if you don't get upset too quickly :)
On the other hand I am happy to answer any questions you might have related to water / wastewater treatment, water supply, pumping etc. That's my speciality, so I'd be happy to help out.
Regarding our background, we are a mixed bunch coming from Europe (Switzeland / France) and Oceania (New Zealand) and from a heathcare and engineering background. We are of an age were in Europe they put you into the "stay in your job otherwise you will never find a new one again" category and were in New Zealand people say "oh, lets try something different" and just start anew. So, now we are wondering if Indonesia would be a place to do some new things and star "anew". We still feel pretty green and will need all the help we can get.
It will be great to get to know you and to better understand how things tick over here.
Cheers

Reactions: YachtRock

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Welcome to Bali mate and this forum. When I first came to this island, a wise sage gave me one word of advice - and one word only.

Patience

Patience is the key to living here. Patience with the unruly tourists. Patience with the traffic. Patients with the government (or lack thereof). Patience with the weather. Patience with the culture. Patience with it all.

You will need lots of patience if you are to survive here. I'm sure you learned that already but I just wanted to reiterate that. Some people get confused that this is Indonesia. Even despite the westernized culture here, we are far and away from a western nation.

So if you are cool with that and can be patient with how things work over here, you'll thrive.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yea, welcome. patience.jpg

This more closely represents my angle on life on Bali.

I've always found it better here to ask forgiveness rather than permission so here is a good place to start asking permission for all the things you wanna do and the best way to do them. The forum is really only judgmental (or only mental) if you haven't looked back in the stacks and used the "search" facility first before you ask all those questions.

The Swiss are generally great at following rules and regulations. That seems to be a problem where there aren't any...