AlanR

Dec 13, 2012
Hi everyone.. Just joined and looking forward to tapping into your vast knowledge and assistance..
I retire in Late 2013 and seriously considering spending that retirement living in Bali..
Have travelled to Bali twice before but doing the tourist thing.... This time I need to look harder at spending my retirement in wonderful Bali..
I realise its all been asked before but I am ignorant to the answers and issues and Keen to converse with anyone who can assist....
My first issue is Housing and location.. I am not aware of any areas to stay away from and which are the more expat suited areas... assistance would be great.
Looking for a 1 bedroom (or possibly 2 ).... Would be keen if it is in a resort type environment.... any suggestions??
Looking at a maximum of $9000 year..
I will be in Indonesia for five weeks from the 18th Jan. and a lot of that time is in Bali

Cheers all.:02.47-tranquillity:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Alan welcome to the forum - you won't be surprised to hear that all your questions have been answered here many, many times already. Hence the lack or replies to your posting - we aint unfriendly just non-repetative. Use the search to find everything you are looking for and then come back with more specific questions for that real feeling of success OK?

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Don't know where you've been or what you consider "wonderful Bali". For me, most everything far away from the tourist areas of the south is a good start.

Close to five weeks in Bali would be a great way of looking AWAY from the south and see what's about towards the north, east and western portions of the island.

Maybe tell all what you are looking for in an environment, what do you want to see/hear when you wake in the morning and when you go to sleep.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
If you've only been to Bali a couple of times, I'd suggest you follow sherm's advice - plan to spend about 4-5 weeks & don't plan anything beyond that (or lock yourself into a rental deal) - just truck-on around, enjoy & weigh things up.
Depending on your tolerance for rip-offs, scam artists, excessive bureaucracy, strangely complicated visa rules & learning a new language you'll discover whether you really do want to spend your retirement in Bali.

Your rental budget of 86.6 jt (Rp 86,670,000) may or may not be enough - remember it's all about location location location (+ what your expectations are: pool, a/c, cable etc)

At the risk of hijacking your plans: IF the idea is to sit out your retirement in a warm foreign climate & BAli just happens to be the exotic paradise you've sampled - you might consider the 'Malaysia My Second Home' scheme immigration procedures are fairly simple + you also get to buy or import a car tax-free (Malaysians pay 300% import duty - but they're still quite affordable) Malaysia My Second Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AlanR

Dec 13, 2012
Thank you to those who offered their words of wisdom but it seems my questions need to be more specific... will rethink the question and try again but is difficult to ask specifically about a place you have never been to..

Thanks again to all,

Footnote I have travelled many times to Africa and there is a place I love returning to in Zimbabwe... between Bulawayo and Victoria Falls called Hwange National Park and I absolutely enjoy telling others about it and never consider it repetative explaining its beauty.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
AlanR, while you are here you are more than welcome to call through and visit us in Sanur. There is a good friendly crew of expats here. Many of your questions and/or worries will be answered in a short time. I can happily take you to visit various people who are living in houses that lease from 30,000,000 to 350,000,000 per year.
Various people have different preferences for areas to live in. Every area has good points. By moving around you will find a particular area that suits you.
I lived on a remote beach in Sulawesi for 5 years. There was no running water and no electricity. I rarely saw any other westerners, as such I now like the interaction with other people so prefer Sanur.

AlanR

Dec 13, 2012
AlanR, while you are here you are more than welcome to call through and visit us in Sanur. There is a good friendly crew of expats here. Many of your questions and/or worries will be answered in a short time. I can happily take you to visit various people who are living in houses that lease from 30,000,000 to 350,000,000 per year.
Various people have different preferences for areas to live in. Every area has good points. By moving around you will find a particular area that suits you.
I lived on a remote beach in Sulawesi for 5 years. There was no running water and no electricity. I rarely saw any other westerners, as such I now like the interaction with other people so prefer Sanur.

Thank you no.idea, I will be arriving in Bali on the 19th to 26th Dec. before travelling to Sumatra Then back in Bali on 8th Jan. to 22nd of Jan... I dont have any plans so any of those dates are fine...Let me know how to contact you or my contact is
mail4rickard (at) gmail.com
Many thanks