New member here

HegeHAa

Jul 19, 2022
Hi. I’m a 42 year old norwegian woman who is seriously thinking of relocating to Bali in the winters. It’s just too dang cold here in Norway! Will be renting and keeping my house here. Only been to Bali once, over 20 years ago so don’t know anything really. Will keep reading old threads here before I start hackling you guys with questions. From what I’ve seen so far it seems like a really good forum!

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Welcome to the forum! Here is example of a fairly recent thread on this subject:

A few things to consider:
- children? school?
- near beach? inland/higher ground?
- near facilities (airport, hospitals, malls & shopping, gov. offices, fast internet)?
- location of accommodation (inside tourist zones, inside local residential zones, quiet area)?
- your tolerance for developing world antics (or "charm")

By 2019 tourist arrivals quadrupled compared to year 2000. During covid estimated 700,000 lost their jobs. So Bali now is quite different from 20 years ago... I would probably done a test visit (say 4 weeks or so) to inspect short listed locations in Bali to see if this is going to work out...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi. I’m a 42 year old norwegian woman who is seriously thinking of relocating to Bali in the winters. It’s just too dang cold here in Norway! Will be renting and keeping my house here. Only been to Bali once, over 20 years ago so don’t know anything really. Will keep reading old threads here before I start hackling you guys with questions. From what I’ve seen so far it seems like a really good forum!
Hey Hege it's a bit warmer than Norway so bring your shorts. Women are safe as can be here, except parts of the Kuta/Jimbaran/Cangu area - please avoid. The rest of the island is blissfully still Bali. Suggest you travel free and unbooked (check out where ever your next destination is on GoogleMaps and find * rated homestays/hotels/villas in your taste and price range).

Get a good driver with car (should cost around IDR600k/day) so you can relax and enjoy the views without getting too lost. Tabanan is coming along as a destination along with Lovina (seriously died during the pandemic) and of course East Bali, oh forgot Ubud, really only for yoga tree huggers that love rain, mozzis and crowds of Indian tourists (was Chinese but they've all be locked up in Wuhan).

Feel free to ask here for sight-seeing tips and good places to stay.
Enjoy!

harryopal

May 5, 2016
The exploratory visit is a good idea. If you are looking to stay long term, put "visa" in the search option as this can be complicated and problematic. As a refugee from cold Melbourne I can empathize with your motivation. Good luck.

Reactions: HegeHAa