balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Indonesia on Thursday eased foreign investment restrictions for dozens of industries in what President Joko Widodo has described as a "Big Bang" liberalisation of Southeast Asia's largest economy.

Indonesia relaxed rules for international firms in various sectors, including agriculture, healthcare facilities, restaurants and movie theatres.

This was the first revision since 2014 to the so-called Negative Investment List, which spells out the sectors to which foreign investment restrictions apply.

Thursday's announcement was not all about opening up Indonesia's industries, however. Twenty sectors, including low-tech construction, were added to the list of industries with foreign investment restrictions.

FACTBOX-Indonesia eases restrictions on foreign investment

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
So does this mean that I can buy small parcels of land, build Indonesian types of houses with a western twist that are affordable to the average indonesian,im not talking about building Villas,

Somehow I doubt it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So does this mean that I can buy small parcels of land, build Indonesian types of houses with a western twist that are affordable to the average indonesian,im not talking about building Villas,

Somehow I doubt it.

Your doubt is well founded.....there is no mention of foreigners buying Hak Milik land so no change there. Also, there appears no change in the Foreign Investment List of building any property except investing in building toll roads.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Somehow I doubt it.

If the homes you build are owned by the company and not you personally, then probably yes. In any case the construction company you "own" will be purely for construction not as a holding company for the houses although when you stop and think about it it might be an interesting way around the land ownership problems for Bule. Watch this space?