New East Java police chief arrested on drug charges

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just four days into his tenure as the East Java chief of police, Inspector General Teddy Minahasa Putra has been arrested on drug charges, according to a member of parliament.

On Oct. 10, Teddy replaced Inspector General Nico Afinto, who was removed as East Java’s top cop last week following the Kanjuruhan Stadium tragedy, during which 132 people were killed.

Teddy was conspicuously missing during today’s meeting between President Joko Widodo and senior members of the National Police. Rumors that he had been arrested by Internal Affairs was confirmed by Ahmad Sahroni, who is deputy chair of Commission III at the House of Parliament (DPR), which oversees matters related to law enforcement.

“It’s true. Drugs, if I’m not mistaken,” Ahmad told reporters today.

Before he took on his latest role, Teddy was the North Sumatra chief of police. He was known as the richest provincial police chief in the country, having reported a personal wealth of IDR25 billion (US$1.6 million) to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) in March of this year.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I think this is a product of the increasing digitization of life in general. What 10 years ago was possible with 125 million they are now catching in much bigger fish much earlier.

It's going to make life much harder for all of those/us than live life in the shadows, as it were. Visas, insurances, money, land ownership, etc, etc will become much more "visible" and accessible to the tax man, which is the main driving force behind all the changes I suspect.

Reactions: tel522

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Highly doubt this guy will get a bullet in the heart like those poor Australians did a few years back. Only the local, poor rabble (and foreigners) get executed in Indonesia.

Reactions: sakumabali