gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
@fred2...if you're familiar with frame and enginenumbers, then why is it a problem to buy one with "dodgy" papers ?
@mats..have to agree that when not on the bike, the exhausts can rumble quit a bit...
@ferdie..hahaha, yeah even the ugliest MF looks good on a Harley, it's a lot harder to look good on a mio ;)
About the pastika ordeal,get your facts straight ferdie, I guess you missed the next day paper in wich pastika (member of HOG) said his driver was at fault, and his driver misread (not being a biker) the hand and legsignals....(discussed before on the forum)
@davita..imho, something small like a honda beat would do the job perfectly to get you around locally. If you would have a passenger often, then maybe a Vario would be a bit better.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Sorry to derail and I'll start a new thread if the Op wishes.....but the subject title is apt.

I haven't driven a motorbike since 1956 when, late at night, I fell asleep on a Norton whilst returning to my RAF Barracks. The bike was a write-off and I was in hospital.

The thing is I just got a SIM A & C today and, although excited, I'm a little apprehensive about riding a bike again and would appreciate some help. My plan would be to rent for a while to get re-familiarised before making a purchase. I have an Avanza and a driver so the bike is only for recreation and getting about locally.

I think, to gain confidence, I should start with an automatic scooter-type bike....but what type?
Any advice appreciated?

We have a yamaha Mio, great little bike easy to handle. I think you would find it easy to get your confidence back.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
@fred2...if you're familiar with frame and enginenumbers, then why is it a problem to buy one with "dodgy" papers ?

Gilbert you need clean paper work to start with. So if i did a engine swap I would file the number off the new engine & stamp the original engine number on it. And all the paper work would match, the same if I build a new frame, swap the numbers to match the paper work. If I start with original paper work with twin slider then I could swap with any V engine. If the paper works has single slider I limit to old 80s yamaha thumpers & there getting hard to buy now.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
@ferdie..hahaha, yeah even the ugliest MF looks good on a Harley, it's a lot harder to look good on a mio ;)
About the pastika ordeal,get your facts straight ferdie, I guess you missed the next day paper in wich pastika (member of HOG) said his driver was at fault, and his driver misread (not being a biker) the hand and legsignals....(discussed before on the forum)
From a police background standpoint pastika has to be the first one to hand out the olive branch, Roesmanhadi, the chairman of IMBI (Indo's big bike association) is a former national police chief (4 star general) and Pastika has less stars before elected Governor
Its an esprit de corps and respect to the senior thingy
If pastika was sincere, he wouldn't clamp down all the illegal big bikes in Bali after the incidents :devilish:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Fred and Gilbert. For sure the Mio, Beat, Vario all seem popular and I'm researching them for my new hobby. My wife says we should look at the Honda Scoopy but is it too retro and naffy for this macho guy?

There are many starter bikes @ 50cc...I will not be taking pillion ojeks and I only weigh 75K so, would that be enough guts for me, or should I go to the 110cc bikes...seems anything bigger might be a waste......or not?

I'll start slow but I'm a quick learner so don't be surprised if soon .......a white haired, new tattoos:icon_rolleyes: and pony-tail with bandana Scotsman....comes grunting around Singaraja on his new HOG! :icon_twisted:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
Hi

anyone of you guys knows if KTM Duke 400 (399 cc) is avelable in Indo ?
I found KTM Duke 200 being sold for around 45jt. (new)... but 200 cc seems too little for such a bike !

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.

Gilbert you need clean paper work to start with. So if i did a engine swap I would file the number off the new engine & stamp the original engine number on it. And all the paper work would match, the same if I build a new frame, swap the numbers to match the paper work. If I start with original paper work with twin slider then I could swap with any V engine. If the paper works has single slider I limit to old 80s yamaha thumpers & there getting hard to buy now.

What I meant to say was, if you're swapping whatever or making the papers to fit the bike..it would safe a lot of time/effort/transport to just buy a "dodgy" 1996 sportster for example, pretty light bike and for sure can swoop through traffic as a small scooter.
as for a ruby/kaisar, I seriously doubt that 18 years from now you can find one made in 2013 and still in good condition.