Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I went to the dealer the other day, the bike is nice to sit on. They are asking Rp31,000,000 OTR. The bike is sold in Aus,US & UK under different brand name, the reports in aust papers are good except they would like a bigger engine, they are sold as a learners bike. There is a very big club in Indonesia ROC so repair & parts are easy to get. I did look at a harley but Im not into getting rip off.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
anyone can get ripped off buying whatever fred2, be it a car or a bike or land/house..and as with many things, you need to know where/whom to buy from.
Buying a kaisar or a ruby, you will be the joke of the biker community..considered a wannabe but just can't be it.. if you know what I mean.
and ofcourse that's beside the terrible build-quality (welded light thin steel frame, braking bolts/gears/shocks, rust,etcetc..), lack of power...
yeah they are nice to sit on just don't ride it, hence go for a lazyboy it's also nice to sit on, and you'd look better sitting on that ;)

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
But problem I see is a Harley is RP100,000,0000 over price, so the tosser value is toooo high, Its a lot easy to shoot through traffic on a 140kg bike then a 300kg boat weight. At 30mil I have a lot of money to modify the bike. When you really think about it I could buy the ruby, buy a new harley in Australia strip it bring it to Surabaya, put the plate from the ruby onto the harley & still save money. But I really don't want a harley, now if you were talking Indian, Norton, Matchless, they are great to modify.
I will go down to the Zoo on friday night, that were the owners club meets & check things out.

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
It looks nice, but only a 250cc in that bike looks to me as u will have lack of power.
I think better options could be found, no?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Most of the bigger bikes I have looked at have no paper work or dodgy paper work, I have seen you can modify the ruby in to 300cc very easy, Unless it is after 11pm i don't know were I can go faster then 90klm/hr. It is very busy on the roads here & bikes cannot go on the motor ways.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
what about Hyskyvara ( my spelling sucks) and BMW enduro's
There a new huge BMW bike shop going up in Kuta . I here great things about bmw enduro bikes

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
about shooting through traffic, ruby/kaisar have no torque..in other words, quickly passing a car/truck forget about it.
and on a Harley, it's like moses and the red sea...the road opens up before your eyes :D
140kg bike with 250cc or a 300kg bike with 1400cc, big difference.

the switching plates from a ruby to a harley, is possible ofcourse but you would have a dodgy STNK...framenumber/enginenumber not the same. So you could just buy a dodgy one right here (no BPKB), at least the numbers on STNK an Bike will be the same.

Having the 250cc tuned up to 300cc, will just make the bike a little louder and higer fuelconsumption..still no torque/power since the gears and rearwheel-pully are the same.

just my 2 cents..

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
You need to come to the big city Gilbert, no roads open up here even the motor way, there is always 4 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes on the road.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
same like that down south, 4 lanes of traffic on 3 lanes, hence I choose to life up north :)
but somehow people/drivers try to open up a gap for Harley's. not saying that is a good thing or not, or the whole pro-contra behind bikers.

ever think of a honda phantom, build quality is a bit better, parts are easy too, and it's 400cc...a bit more uhmpf then a 250 ruby/kaisar

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
@Gilbert, a lot of people look good while riding Harley's :icon_biggrin:

But while Pastika is still Governor, the Harley riders will be kept on a short leash, thanks to a stupid incident a a few years back:icon_lol:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
They only ride Harley's on a sunday here. They go by flapping there arm trying to fly I think, then the recovery ute & trailer goes by. I think some of the poor darling's get a sore bum so they have the bike towed home. It,s like the car clubs the police guide them around they have breakfast then go home. Its just a status symbol, the bloke two doors up has the yellow (Transformer) chevy, takes it out to wash it then puts it back in the shed.
I looked at a yamaha 1100, no papers only 35mil, one of the club members from Malang imports big bikes from Singapore he will let me know if a good bike comes up, the honda CBR250 is 45mil, not seen any BMW, but we do have a Ducati dealer in town now you should see the price. The build-up car show room sell new yamaha 1000cc GP bikes.
The reason for the new motor bike is when I go to see the in-laws, Gran & cousins Its easy by bike, but after 1hr my bum goes dead on the yamaha scorpio. On a bike you can do between 60-80kl/hr
If you think the traffic is bad in the south of Bali, you need to drive from Surabaya To Kuta, every truck is only doing 10km/hr.
Gilbert from the age of 15 I have been changing engine & chassis No, So if I bring something here the paper work would be correct.

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
@joji : A convoy of Harley riders were traveling in a convoy and as usual they were not very "friendly" if they felt the other driver didn't gave away the road for them to pass through.
This time they met Pastika in his civilian car without his bodyguard and his car won't step aside and they didn't like it.
They got closer to the car and clench their fist and intimidate him, one of them even kick the car without realizing its the Governor
Pastika was unhappy and the media had a good story to tell :icon_e_biggrin:
What makes the thing worse, back then hundreds of big bikes were not properly imported to Bali (without the right papers) so Pastika ask the Bali Police to clamp down all the illegal bikes and not letting any of them being legalized, I knew some expat who still curse that incident here

Long story short, the HOG would act like a boy scout while Pastika is still the Governor:icon_wink:

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
@joji : A convoy of Harley riders were traveling in a convoy and as usual they were not very "friendly" if they felt the other driver didn't gave away the road for them to pass through.
This time they met Pastika in his civilian car without his bodyguard and his car won't step aside and they didn't like it.
They got closer to the car and clench their fist and intimidate him, one of them even kick the car without realizing its the Governor
Pastika was unhappy and the media had a good story to tell :icon_e_biggrin:
What makes the thing worse, back then hundreds of big bikes were not properly imported to Bali (without the right papers) so Pastika ask the Bali Police to clamp down all the illegal bikes and not letting any of them being legalized, I knew some expat who still curse that incident here

Long story short, the HOG would act like a boy scout while Pastika is still the Governor:icon_wink:

Thank Ferdie, sounds familiar concerning the attitude of the big bike boys. Salute to Pastika, it's about time someone taught them some good manners. Expat or local they need to be taught manners if they act like spoilt children. Pastika is the best thing that happened to Bali in a long time, as far as Governors go.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Sorry to derail and I'll start a new thread if the Op wishes.....but the subject title is apt.

I haven't driven a motorbike since 1956 when, late at night, I fell asleep on a Norton whilst returning to my RAF Barracks. The bike was a write-off and I was in hospital.

The thing is I just got a SIM A & C today and, although excited, I'm a little apprehensive about riding a bike again and would appreciate some help. My plan would be to rent for a while to get re-familiarised before making a purchase. I have an Avanza and a driver so the bike is only for recreation and getting about locally.

I think, to gain confidence, I should start with an automatic scooter-type bike....but what type?
Any advice appreciated?