rudicantfail

Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys,

I've seen this posted a few times on Facebook in the past 24 hours - all posted by the same visa agency:

NEW 2016 STRICT IMMIGRATION RULES OF INDONESIA | Visa For Bali

Anyone know if it's true? Can't seem to find any official announcement.

New regulations will take effect on 1st of January 2016 at least in Bali (Badung Regency)
According to new rules, foreigner's visas will be rejected in case if during past 12 months visitor has had:
- 2 visas on arrival (paid or free)
- 1 Social/Tourist Visa B211

There are no changes for holders of KITAP, KITAS, Diplomatic and multiple entries visas.

New regulations are about to affect foreigners who work in Indonesia illegally.

Who is Affected:
- English Teachers
- Scuba Instructors
- Divemasters
- Bartenders
- Tour Guides
- Anyone working in Indonesia without a KITAS or KITAP.

Seems like immigration police will look for illegal workers harder.

Here's the good news:
- If this is your first time to Indonesia, don't worry about it.
- If you are a digital nomad coming to Indonesia to work online as an entrepreneur you are fine.
- If you've reahed retirement age - it is just right time to apply for Retirement Visa
- If you've had already 2 paid or free VOA or at least 1 Social/Tourist Visa and want to stay in Indonesia longer - there is still the solution.

The Solution:
1. Get a multiple-entry Business Visa B-212
2. After 60 days - make a border run to get another 60 days (check AirAsia chep flights)
3. Make again step 2. up to 6 times, so you will get 420 days straight

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
It says
New regulations will take effect on 1st of January 2016 at least in Bali (Badung Regency)
which is a bit odd. Do different rules apply in different regencies? Presumably this story comes from Immigration in Renon (or maybe the Airport Office), so if anyone had the energy they could go there with a copy of this article and ask.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Apparently it is just a proposal and announcement of a meeting. Maybe someone can translate it.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Seems pretty much in line with this government`s policies,

After reading other posts about how they intent to increase the number of tourists every year,then I guess this is how they intend achieving it by making it harder to get a visa,

Two steps backwards and one step forward,,

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
This was posted on Facebook by another visa agency, in response to the original post. I have tried to translate the original document posted by Spicy, but the formal language is beyond my level of understanding (and Google Translate is not much help)

Attention!!!
This information for everybody who worry about new immigration rules.
About the document, which appeared on the Internet

The document appeared on the network is not an order or an approved rule. It is a temporary recommendation of the Immigration Service Office of Jakarta issued for internal use by the immigration officers in Badung District (the southern part of Bali).
It is temporary instruction from the Immigration Head Office (Jakarta) valid from October 20, 2015 until December 31, 2015
Due to a lot of foreigners illegally working in Bali the Immigration Head Office recommended to immigration officers to follow the instruction.
Foreigner’s who has two visas on arrival or one Social Visa during past 12 months not allowed entry Indonesia again unceasingly.
It is a test. A trial period.
Embassies and consulates of Indonesia are advised to pay attention to the number of existing visa in a passport, but the decision to issue a visa is up to them.
In the instruction nothing is said about the procedure of extending visas for those who are already in Indonesia.
And this from another FB Visa agency page.

For all our clients worried about the post on Facebook saying people from all around the world will only be able to come to Bali twice a year. The official document dates for this is that the instruction is issued on 20 October 2015 and valid until 31 December 2015. It is to act as a deterrent for foreigners coming here and working illegally of late. This isn't permanent. Please be aware if you come here to work illegally and take jobs from locals you will be caught, fined and possibly deported. Please share to all the pages reporting otherwise.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
[MENTION=4966]gilbert de jong[/MENTION], your language skills are better than most of us on the forum. Can you translate the pages Spicy Ayam posted?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi y'all :)
will do my best and translate :

Instructions----for the Head of Immigration Office Ngurah Rai
About----Raising the level of monitoring (checking) Foreigners in the region of the
Ngurah Rai Immigration Office.

Considering : a. The meeting on 17 Oktober, between Komisi III DPR-RI +
several Tourism Organisations + Bali Police + Ministery of
Law & Human Rights Bali.
b. That in this meeting both the Tourism
Organisations and the Komisi III DPR-RI were complaining
about the lack of Monitoring/Checking Foreigners and the
increasing number of expats who work illegally in the
Tourism Business on Bali.
c. That to assist and help the Immigration to
monitor/check foreigners (in the field), we need to further
enforce the powers that the Immigration has, like checking
foreigners in traffic and where in Indonesia foreigners are
staying (living).

Remembering : 1. Law number 6 of 2011 about Immigration
2. Government Rules number 31 of 2013 about the rules to
enforce the Law number 6 of 2011 about Immigration
3. Decision of Ministery of Justice and Human Rights Indonesia
in 1995 number M.02.PW.09.02 about "How" to monitor
Foreigners, submit complaints of Foreigners and actions of
Immigration.
4. Directive of General Director how to monitor/check
foreigners and actions of Immigrations
5. Directive of General Director How to handle/what to do,
when a foreigner is reported by someone.

Instructions :
To : 1. Department head of monitoring and actions of Immigration.
2. Department head of Arrival and Entry of Immigration.
3. Department head of information and Communication.
4. Department head of Traffic and Immigration Status.

For:
first : To Increase the monitoring and checking of foreigners we need great
effort and support from all departments and parties involved in this.

second : Increase monitoring/checking of all foreigners at the counter of
Immigration, especially....

Third : increase monitoring/checking of every foreigner who has entered
Indonesia twice in less then 1 year, using a VOA/free tourist-visa/free
visit tourist. except holders of ITAP/ITAS/Diplomatic/service/multiple-
visa.

Fourth : Increase monitoring/checking foreigners in the field, who work as
waiter/concierge of tours/concierge of businesses/tourguide/scuba
instructor/ or do any other work that could be done by a local.

Fifth : Each foreigner that falls into the above mentioned (point2 and 3)
category is to be denied entry into Indonesia at the Immigration-counter,
because he/she could potentially be working in Indonesia.

Sixth : Each foreigner who does something as mentioned at point 4, is hereby
to be taken into custody and handled administratively, and blacklisted.

seventh : To increase the performance of the Team working outside
(in the field), they may work together with other departments who
also have a task in monitoring/checking foreigners.

Eighth : The department of traffic and immigration status, can only renew a
ITAS/ITAP after the Department of monitoring/checking has verified
that the application to renew is based on the truth

Nineth : Collecting data and information by all departments, to enact an
operation monitoring/checking Immigration-status.

Tenth : All costs related to this Instruction will be paid for by the 2015 annual
budget of the Immigration Office Ngurah Rai.

Eleventh : This Instruction is to be carried out from this date till 31-12-2015.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
So this "new" law will be funded from budget from the previous year? Haha, don't expect a massive presence or change there...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the translate Gilbert...good job!

My read is there are no new rules...Bali cannot change Indonesian law...that's done in Parliament by Legislators.
It seems they are going to apply the current rules more stringently so that foreigners cannot abuse their visas by working when not permitted. I know lots of foreigners working when not permitted and now think those so doing better be prepared for scrutiny....and the subsequent penalties if caught.

If Gilberts translation of the last sentence (#11) is correct then the purge has already started......and will continue till the end of the year. Maybe that's why the budget is for 2015. If they continue next year, they will probably have to agree to bring that into the 2016 budget.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
I was given a bit of a hard time coming in 1st Oct on a VOA (not through Bali) .... I've had 5 this year - I was "Ok this time, but go to the Indon Embassy next time & apply for 'other visa' (longer or business) "
Maybe it is some national trial

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
So the fifth point suggests that a person who has done a visa run to Singapore, and has the visa in their passport, could be refused entry in Bali because "
he/she could potentially be working in Indonesia". You would think this decision should be made by the Singapore Embassy when issuing the visa.

The workings of government departments are indeed curious.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Although Gilbert doesn't specifically mention in his translation....other summaries of point #2 are of importance to some...viz

Point #2; Improve the checking of foreign visitors at immigration checkpoints with extra attention to foreigners who have lived legally in Indonesia for more than four months within the last year. With the exception of foreigners on an ITAS, ITAP, diplomatic visa, service visa (visa dinas) or multiple visa holders;

This could include those on Sosbud repeated visas.
Many of us have routinely advised this Sosbud/Tourist Visa to stay longer in RI...but that advice may no longer be appropriate.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So the fifth point suggests that a person who has done a visa run to Singapore, and has the visa in their passport, could be refused entry in Bali because "
he/she could potentially be working in Indonesia". You would think this decision should be made by the Singapore Embassy when issuing the visa.

The workings of government departments are indeed curious.

This is the case with most visit visas to most countries. A visa may be issued in an Embassy/Consul but the final arbiter of allowing entry is the immigration officer at the airport.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
I'll be heading to Singapore to replenish my sosbud visa in December and I'm only taking an overnight bag. Brave? I don't think so.
As has been pointed out, there has been no change in law, just a period of closer scrutiny and closer co-operation between Government agency's.
I regularly attend a language school here in Bali and they are the sponsors for my visa and must keep records of my attendance for possible random checks by Imigrasi. If however I chose to 'get around' the letter of the law then that could possibly be a cause for some concern but a concern only because of the heightened vigilance and co-ordination of a number of agency's. :D
Dua puluh tahun yang lalu (I knew those lessons would eventually come in handy), I came to Bali on a Journalist visa. 'Impossible to get' I was told in Oz. 'Just do what everyone else does and disguise your camera gear' I was told. It wasn't easy but with the correct supporting material and vouch sayers it was approved, albeit 4 days before my flight was due to depart the land down under.
Since I've been here I've noticed an increase in immigration checks and deportations anyway. Journalists and crews here for the Corby and Bali 9 cases, Asian work crews, Europeans on a fashion shooting assignment and even the rapid departure of a large amount of overseas staff working for an international surfing goods company that were hosting and sponsoring an international surfing event at Uluwatu. They're just the ones I've heard about.
If you're not relying on 'getting around' the system and all your ducks are in a row then there's not much to worry about I reckon.