davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi guys
As most will know from previous threads/posts my computer skill is lacking....so I'm begging for advice.
I have this newish all-in-one Acer...it has Windows 8.1 and I still use AOL as my email and browser. I had Avast security on a previous laptop and added this Acer to that service.
They advise I need to renew my subscription (about US$60?) and I'm not sure if this is scam or not. Last Dec my C/C was deducted US$39.99 by Avast in Luxembourg.

I find that Avast is very active, scans the computer often and pops-up when it rejects some browsing as malwear etc.

My question is...is Avast good security, and worth it, or is there something better and/or free?

Thanks for any advice on this topic.

edit. recently someone advised how to get around 'internet positif' (johnny cool or RonB) I downloaded and it worked but somehow Avast told me that it was a problem and I quickly clicked to have it deleted and I've lost it. I'd like it back but cannot find the post for the download link...anyone remember?

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
If you are letting Windows 8.1 update itself automatically, then you don't need Avast. Windows Defender can be turned on once other antivirus products are removed and it does a good job. Why is Avast asking you to renew? Because when it was originally installed you or whoever must have installed the paid version. You could uninstall this then install the free one I think. But my suggestion is just install Avast. Soon after its gone, Windows should give warning messages about no antivirus and point you at Windows Defender which you can turn on.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@#2
RonB thanks...You are right. My previous laptop came with Avast free but they kept recommending I pay-for an upgrade which I complied. It expires beginning next month.
I understand you advise I let it roll and, if they remove my protection, I should then let Windows Defender work...good idea...free...me likee!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I use AVG which is free. http://free.avg.com

Whatever you choose, you need to keep it updated regularly. I would suggest contacting Avast and tell them you want to cancel, or they might charge your card again automatically.

Zenmate is what Ron suggested previously to get around the blocks. They have an add on for Firefox and Chrome, not sure about AOL.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks ron,spicy,mark....I'll check out this AVG.
I didn't grow up with computer/smartphone technology but keep an interest. I used to subscribe to McAfee as a virus protector...except I got a virus soon after cancelling....so I'm a little cautious.
McAfee was started by John McAfee who, I believe, is still 'wanted' in Belize. He sold the company to Intel.
Do any of you guys think, if I discontinue my subscription, it's possible those so-called security company's can 'revenge' and, instead of being a protector, become a hacker?
If they have access to everyone's computer ...who or what determines whether they are friend or foe?
Isnt this a classic gangster tactic for blackmail...i.e. if you don't subscribe you 'might' get a virus? :devilish:

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
No antivirus will secure you ! It will if you are dummy and tend to click in dodgy emails and its links etc .... (hell you do not have to be dummy ... FB recently had sophisticated method to suck you in spiral or mailvare)
I had Avast,AVG,Norton.McaFee,NOD, etc etc ... when some sophisticated crap gets you bye bye .... no hlep !
I mean it is constructed that way it will push you to accept it (infect) if you want this or that form the internet allmighty !
I mean you will be satisfied for as long as 3 years .. and then one day . .adios ! Need formatting !
My advice .. dont bother ...
Methods are today so sophisticated ... that there is no way to defend yourself !
what you can do !? Make yourself an non interesting target virtually !

If you think that McAfee is dodg character ! I can tell you those in nice suits are not any better ... At the end its all business !

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
My advice .. dont bother ...
Methods are today so sophisticated ... that there is no way to defend yourself !
what you can do !?

IMO this is poor advice. It is fairly easy to stay out of trouble.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
actually ronb it same like car theft ... If they want your car they will get it . same with virus and unethical "hacking" if they want your fb account they can get it ,

so many fb and emails accounts are "stolen" yes some people use thier Birthdate as a pw , Some use there Kids ., all this could be avoided if they used a pw such as @K8!6^nX7&1%0L2& but most people would not Remember that

so can you explain how it is firly easy to stay out of trouble ?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks everyone...I agree with spicy and Ronb...I'll let Avast expire and use the virus defender installed with windows 8.1.

btw smoke I have an answer to your question...if you don't want your car stolen...don't own one and...if you don't want your facebook hacked...don't join facebook.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
so true Davita .But then agin I have insurance for my cars .and face book is extremely safe for me (all my accounts )

davita

Mar 13, 2012
so true Davita .But then agin I have insurance for my cars .and face book is extremely safe for me (all my accounts )

You're making my point smoke...isn't virus software 'insurance' from getting a general virus/malware, and, how do you protect against same on Facebook?

I do agree with you that it is always difficult to protect against anything when there is a determined adversary...but that doesn't mean we cannot take some precautions...especially if free.
I'm aware you know my car has an alarm...coz I think it's your decibel-noisy motorbike that sets it off when you drive-by. :cupcake: I also have a steering column lock and the car is protected with an ACE car-cover, every night.
My house has CCTV cameras/DVR, motion detector alarms...and a security guard who's asleep most of the time. I had to wake him up one morning to tell him it's time to go home!:icon_e_biggrin:
The locals think our CCTV is connected to the police station...which it could be if the police cared to select to my internet site.
Call me paranoid but we've never been robbed.....yet!

In the same precautious manner I was just asking how to protect my computer as cheaply as I can, and I think ronb and spicy have given me the answer.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I use PCLinux on my non-work laptop. It's completely free, does everything that Windows does but faster (it's booted up before my Windows PC has even asked me to CTRL-ALT-DEL) and you don't need any anti-virus software. It comes with free software that handle all the common MS file formats like .doc, .xls, .pdf etc. Been using it for about a year now with no problems at all. Would never go back to Windows, it would be like going back to grapes with seeds after you've tried seedless.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
You're making my point smoke...isn't virus software 'insurance' from getting a general virus/malware, and, how do you protect against same on Facebook?

I do agree with you that it is always difficult to protect against anything when there is a determined adversary...but that doesn't mean we cannot take some precautions...especially if free.
I'm aware you know my car has an alarm...coz I think it's your decibel-noisy motorbike that sets it off when you drive-by. :cupcake: I also have a steering column lock and the car is protected with an ACE car-cover, every night.
My house has CCTV cameras/DVR, motion detector alarms...and a security guard who's asleep most of the time. I had to wake him up one morning to tell him it's time to go home!:icon_e_biggrin:
The locals think our CCTV is connected to the police station...which it could be if the police cared to select to my internet site.
Call me paranoid but we've never been robbed.....yet!

In the same precautious manner I was just asking how to protect my computer as cheaply as I can, and I think ronb and spicy have given me the answer.

pick one quality free anti virus and also the malware that spicy suggested .Please run for updates weekly if not automatic. set up automatic scan schedule for your computer . This is all you can really do !

on side note s a precaution when you get an email from Unknown "person " opening up the file attached or even the attached photo could have a virus or malware attached . This could be a new attack that any antivirus or malware knows of.many say there email or social media accounts got hacked, But most use very simple passwords . There are "programs" available to crack passwords . the longer "g72j36&k@K1)cC&" are harder to get ( time wise) the Davita34

ps by the way your ace car cover delays theft for about 5 seconds .Maybe the put it on the guard as a blanket ?:lemo::lemo: Glad you never had a problem .Me either and I not use the Ace car cover ( i have a fully covered carport for car and Harley).no cameras s I feel they are not needed. my neighbors are great and we chat allthe time.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Do not rely on Windows Defender. It is next to useless, basically a re-badged version of the dreadful Microsoft Security Essentials with its flaky engine.
Even Microsoft has warned against relying on it and suggests installing a 3rd-party antivirus.

For your needs, I would suggest the free version of Avast! (When your paid-for version expires, uninstall it completely and then install the free version.)

I would also suggest the following:

1. Free antivirus: Avast!
2. Free Malwarebytes Antimalware (MBM)
3. Free ZoneAlarm firewall
4. Free CCleaner
5. Free SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)
6. Free Revo Uninstaller
7. Free WinPatrol

Why so many "suggestions"?

No "security suite", paid or free, can catch 100% of attacks. Some are better than others, but none are "perfect". One antivirus programme will miss what another one finds.
Same with malware/spyware/crapware/adware etc etc. So - it's better practice to have more than one opinion. (Note that it is NOT a good idea to have more than one antivirus programme running at the same time, but no problem running MBM, SAS, WinPatrol, together, etc.)

Bitdefender is probably the best at the moment. It had some "issues" a while ago, mainly for being too "simple" for advanced users.
I believe it now offers many more options. (I haven't tried the 2014 version yet because the motherboard in my main computer blew up last week and I'm going through the process of re-installing all kinds of software on my new one.)

I used to use AVG years ago but it didn't really cut the mustard. I swapped to Avira for a while but the nag screens to update drove me crazy.
These days, many people seem to like AVG - each to their own.

There are several things that people tend to overlook when trying to choose "good" AV software.
Most focus primarily on "detection rates". That's OK, up to a point.
Of equal importance is how long it takes to scan a computer, and if it finds something, can it actually remove the threat?
Does it have real-time properties (stopping something before it gets onto your computer)?
Does it use too many resources on your computer and slow things down?

And don't even get me started about rootkits.

:icon_eek:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I use PCLinux on my non-work laptop. It's completely free, does everything that Windows does but faster (it's booted up before my Windows PC has even asked me to CTRL-ALT-DEL) and you don't need any anti-virus software. It comes with free software that handle all the common MS file formats like .doc, .xls, .pdf etc. Been using it for about a year now with no problems at all. Would never go back to Windows, it would be like going back to grapes with seeds after you've tried seedless.
REALLY? So, you have no problem, for example, running Adobe CS6? Or do you use "GIMP"? No problem trying to install/run Steinberg Wave, CuBase, Cakewalk, Sonar, etc?

The only reason that you "don't need any anti-virus software" on Linux (not true, actually), is that not many people use it. Apart from Linux-based servers, of course.

Linux distributions are still a pain in the butt for most normal computer users, no matter how many look-like-Windows versions come out, usually based on Ubuntu.

I actually like my grapes to have seeds in them.

:abnormal:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Do not rely on Windows Defender. It is next to useless, basically a re-badged version of the dreadful Microsoft Security Essentials with its flaky engine.
Even Microsoft has warned against relying on it and suggests installing a 3rd-party antivirus.

Well, I guess I just respectfully differ. I have been using Windows Defender since Dec 2012, before that I used Avast for many years. Windows Defender works well and is very quiet - not always reminding you it has updated, not alerting you to possible dangers which with Avast were usually false alarms. My Internet usage is moderately risky. By that I mean while I am very cautios about clicking on sus links, I do download and install lots of software, download movies, music etc.

I have read many reviews of Windows Defender, and seen Microsoft's cautious or ambivalent endorsements - and my conclusion is that it does work, and Microsoft's caution is probably trying to head off potential legal actions.

Probably the automatic Windows updates are doing more of the work than Defender itself - so leave auto updates on and make sure your computer stays on at least some nights.

So, in the end, everyone has to choose for themselves - good luck.