geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I thought I would share my experience and hope the subject doesn't mind.
I arrived on the 7th staying at Candidasa.My son didn't arrive till the following evening due to me stuffing up his passport only 5 months left but he got one within a day by waiting at passport office in Sydney.
We found the area to be friendly non pushy and probably like the Bali of the past.
On the Friday morning at 10 am myself and my wife were picked up at the hotel by the mean Markit.
He took us where we wanted to go first a tour of the surrounding area then Amlapura where we visited traditional market. It's a very nice town with few bule's and Mr Markit mixes well and is known by the locals.
We then went to his place, great spot and fantastic property , where although lots of happy staff he actually cooked for us.
What a great cook he is ,his curries were sensational and his home made pickle fresh and yummy.
Later we drove to Amed and then had to get back to our hotel to await my sons arrival ,all the way through the day pointing things out,giving a bit of history and giving me valuable info while answering my silly questions.
Sorry to spoil his image but he was a great host ,generous with his time and his love of Bali shines through without him even realising.
Thanks again for welcoming a stranger from the other end of a monitor into your life for a day. You are a credit to the often malingned Bali expat community.
Now off to Seminyak for a week where no doubt my wife will eat and shop like a woman possessed.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'll get my tuppence in before the trolls wake up: It's always easy to showcase some place to an appreciative audience and GeeDee and his lovely wife were that, in spades!

Now before there's a rush of would-be expats rushing up to take a Markit tour/lunch cruise let me tell you what the cost was - I forced the couple at spatula point to part with about 10 great cheeses, 2 packs of smoked salmon, salted macadamias, Biltong, a bottle of bourbon, 4 wonderful lamb chops (gone!), various Oz sauces (what the hell is myrtyle?) and 2 packs of "Irish Black Pudding". I'm sure I've forgotten half but to say their generosity was breathtaking would be an understatement.

Not only the massively important items listed above but I also asked them (as I do all visitors) to fill any holes and crevasses in their luggage with stuff they don't want or would throw away for the locals such as reading glasses, old phones, kids games (wood, as paper doesn't last here in the tropics) and old clothes, both warm for the mountain folk and "normal" for those down in the lowlands, drawing books, pencils and coloring pens. See picture:

IMG_2784.jpg

I begged them (on bended knees) to please, please come again "real soon".

P

paulseawind

I'll get my tuppence in before the trolls wake up: It's always easy to showcase some place to an appreciative audience and GeeDee and his lovely wife were that, in spades!

Now before there's a rush of would-be expats rushing up to take a Markit tour/lunch cruise let me tell you what the cost was - I forced the couple at spatula point to part with about 10 great cheeses, 2 packs of smoked salmon, salted macadamias, Biltong, a bottle of bourbon, 4 wonderful lamb chops (gone!), various Oz sauces (what the hell is myrtyle?) and 2 packs of "Irish Black Pudding". I'm sure I've forgotten half but to say their generosity was breathtaking would be an understatement.

Not only the massively important items listed above but I also asked them (as I do all visitors) to fill any holes and crevasses in their luggage with stuff they don't want or would throw away for the locals such as reading glasses, old phones, kids games (wood, as paper doesn't last here in the tropics) and old clothes, both warm for the mountain folk and "normal" for those down in the lowlands, drawing books, pencils and coloring pens. See picture:

View attachment 2639

Rather interesting reports from both.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Sadly the same lad will be in Sanur in a few hours. I have raised the draw bridge and made sure the moat is full of crocodiles.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Sadly the same lad will be in Sanur in a few hours. I have raised the draw bridge and made sure the moat is full of crocodiles.
Even though you'd hate to spoil your image as a crusty old bugger, I'll bet you will be just as welcoming as Markit. :icon_wink:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Even though you'd hate to spoil your image as a crusty old bugger, I'll bet you will be just as welcoming as Markit. :icon_wink:

I think he is referring to Markit going to Sanur today.
I wouldn't dream of going there without a pie and a pie I have not.
I am on the way to Seminyak

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I thought I would share my experience and hope the subject doesn't mind.
I arrived on the 7th staying at Candidasa.My son didn't arrive till the following evening due to me stuffing up his passport only 5 months left but he got one within a day by waiting at passport office in Sydney.
We found the area to be friendly non pushy and probably like the Bali of the past.
On the Friday morning at 10 am myself and my wife were picked up at the hotel by the mean Markit.
He took us where we wanted to go first a tour of the surrounding area then Amlapura where we visited traditional market. It's a very nice town with few bule's and Mr Markit mixes well and is known by the locals.
We then went to his place, great spot and fantastic property , where although lots of happy staff he actually cooked for us.
What a great cook he is ,his curries were sensational and his home made pickle fresh and yummy.
Later we drove to Amed and then had to get back to our hotel to await my sons arrival ,all the way through the day pointing things out,giving a bit of history and giving me valuable info while answering my silly questions.
Sorry to spoil his image but he was a great host ,generous with his time and his love of Bali shines through without him even realising.
Thanks again for welcoming a stranger from the other end of a monitor into your life for a day. You are a credit to the often malingned Bali expat community.
Now off to Seminyak for a week where no doubt my wife will eat and shop like a woman possessed.

View attachment 2639

I think he is referring to Markit going to Sanur today.
I am on the way to Seminyak

It's not an image and it was me headed to Sanur but I didn't make it till the next day.

So, did you guys actualy meet and have something to say?

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
So, did you guys actualy meet and have something to say?

Are you referring to myself and Markit meeting if so YES see above report.
Something to say? Yes again ,sometimes I open my mouth and words just blurt out not always sensible but sometimes I make a mistake and it seems to make sense or maybe the nod from the other person is just politeness.
Yesterday we arrived in Seminyak staying at a place you have stayed Uma Sapna in Jl Drupadi at Eat st end ,not cheap but what a great place.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
It's not an image and it was me headed to Sanur but I didn't make it till the next day.

I'm sorry...there were so many words used, and so much confusion, I wasn't sure you actually communicated....... but glad to know it all worked well.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I'm sorry...there were so many words used, and so much confusion, I wasn't sure you actually communicated....... but glad to know it all worked well.

Thank you it did work out well he was a good guide and cook see Pic on 2nd post

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur

On the subject of pies, this crew are kicking a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/gimmepies/?fref=ts
Gimme Pies are turning out a great product. If I order from them the pies will be delivered the next day (still hot).
I think I have ordered around 400 from them. (No I did eat the bloody things myself). The price is 20,000 and they have a number of different types.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
No.idea one could be forgiven for thinking you had a % of their pie business? Do you have a standing order for 400 pies as this is the 3rd or 4th time you've mentioned it/them (not including Farcebook).

I'll do what I can for your business interests.

As I can't imagine anything worse in this hot, muggy weather than to have a hot pie (unless it might be a boiling soto ayam) no.idea also does a great line in penis stiffeners and glasses for the aged - that way you can see if the fecking thing is drooping and then do something about it...

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
No.idea one could be forgiven for thinking you had a % of their pie business? Do you have a standing order for 400 pies as this is the 3rd or 4th time you've mentioned it.
The only reason I repeat things is because I know that elderly gentleman like your self have memory loss. Oh, by the way you left you false teeth at the bar the other day. We all tried them out for size but they did not suit anyone.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
After I eat peanut sauce I am blowing southerlies all afternoon.

Super-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

P

paulseawind

Oh no. The K-One W-One is up and about again. The sedatives must have worn off.

Do me a favour and keep away from Australia.
Just fly right on by.
Go and be a gentleman somewhere else.

I know an Iranian who has a 'library' of photos he trots out like this.
But, he is much funnier. Much funnier. E.G. he doesn't have to add wording. He is already really funny.
He is a 9/10 and you are only scoring around 5/10.
(Sorry to be so direct about it.) heh heh no, I'm not.

Last edited by a moderator:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
On the subject of pies, this crew are kicking a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/gimmepies/?fref=ts
Gimme Pies are turning out a great product. If I order from them the pies will be delivered the next day (still hot).
I think I have ordered around 400 from them. (No I did eat the bloody things myself). The price is 20,000 and they have a number of different types.

You have a wonderful way of turning any topic into a pie thing.
I'm sure there are medicines you can take for this fetish

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Do me a favour and keep away from Australia.

fflf5zevvikraolmmseb.gif

I know an Iranian who has a 'library' of photos he trots out like this.
But, he is much funnier. Much funnier. E.G. he doesn't have to add wording. He is already really funny.
He is a 9/10 and you are only scoring around 5/10.

gangnam-style-haters-gonna-hate.gif