Moving personal effects to Bali

derrickhulsey

Jul 30, 2020
Texas
I feel like in sticky situation, I am moving from Bangkok to Bali. My KITAS will be processed after I arrive but a visa type 317( investor KITAS) is already approved for me. I will store my stuff with a cargo agency in Bangkok until my KITAS is ready.

1. I heard if my cargo comes via air, it must arrive before 10 days of me coming to Bali and if via sea 30 within 30 days. Is it any true?

2. Can I try to clear all by myself at Denpasar if I have all paperwork? Some agencies seem to charge a lot.

Thanks

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I feel like in sticky situation, I am moving from Bangkok to Bali. My KITAS will be processed after I arrive but a visa type 317( investor KITAS) is already approved for me. I will store my stuff with a cargo agency in Bangkok until my KITAS is ready.

1. I heard if my cargo comes via air, it must arrive before 10 days of me coming to Bali and if via sea 30 within 30 days. Is it any true?

2. Can I try to clear all by myself at Denpasar if I have all paperwork? Some agencies seem to charge a lot.

Thanks
Not certain of the answer to your first question (I believe that there are time limits), but a google search should inform. Often the cargo company websites provide such info.

As to the second question, you could clear air cargo yourself at Ngurah Rai airport. Shouldn't be a problem if your documents are in order. Sea shipments for Bali are cleared by customs in Surabaya and then sent overland to Bali by truck, so a DIY approach is trickier and personally I wouldn't consider trying to clear it there myself.

One suggestion would be to take as much stuff with you as possible on your flight to Bali. The missus and I did this with Singapore Air and through an upgrade to business class and frequent flier status got 80 kg of checked baggage each. Customs x-ray'ed the bags but didn't bother to take a further look though they did remark to my wife that we were sure bringing a lot of stuff!