spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I just watched this movie and thought it might be of interest: River (2015) - IMDb

It is set in Laos, which is one reason I liked it as it brought back memories of travelling there. It was also a good reminder how a situation fuelled by alcohol can easily get out of control, and SE Asia is not a place where you want to get into trouble as a tourist.

If you know someone going on a backpacking trip through SE Asia I think it would be a good movie for them to watch. Too many people think your embassy will bail you out, but as this movie shows, if you have any legal trouble, all they can do is provide you with a list of lawyers and call your family to send you money.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I have this movie but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Maybe today since it's actually raining for a change around here.

The classic "Midnight Express" is also worth watching, particularly for those thinking of making a quick buck by smuggling drugs into Turkey.

Australian ABC has a series running called "Embassy". It's set in the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (and all the people are real people - not actors).
Various episodes available through ABC i-View (you'll need a VPN connection to see them).