Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Next week a mate and I are planning on doing some motorbike touring over Bangmewangme up the southern route to Malang where we plan to stay and visit Bromo (I got this volcano thing) and the mountain resort of Tretes because the mate reckons there's some seriously beautiful women up there. Me I think they're all over.

From there it's off to Jogja templing and to see some wood house architecture.

The return trip should go via the island of Madura (women again!, something about picking up some Bintang bottles...?) and then Surabaya (thank goodness, no women there at all!) and home.

I would greatly appreciate any tips or warnings you all would care to offer. Thanks in advance. Oh if anyone wants to join us then PM me.

Markit

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Malang doesn't have much, except it's cool climate, but I do recommend Batu some 20k from Malang. There are many parks and things to do in Batu. A couple of years ago I spent all day in their eco-green park and enjoyed it very much...there is also a zoo. I was pleasantly shocked that Indonesia had such high quality recreational areas and will re-visit soon as we have relatives living in Lawang...not too far away.
Malang has tea plantations and apple orchards but I don't recommend visiting as imo they tend to be touristy rip-offs.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Think "Joglo" - you can't spend your whole life (hole life?) only after women. Man has to have some higher aspirations, or not?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
hi markit nice ride ya , I have done most of the places you wanna vist by car last year and various bits on the bike the previous year , my thoughts , bayuwangi to jember,
nice road switchbacks through the forest climbing , people say its dangerous , i found it fine only beggars on most corners , seems its a tradition in the forest , kali baru may be of interest at the top of the hill , old dutch coffee plantations nice quiet hotels , plantation railway colonial , though it was bust when i passed thro .
on to jember nice country jembers boring , chinese mafia town . malang I used to like it now its like denpasar , crazy traffic , the dutch areas dieng etc are interesting for architecture , bromo nice ride up thro the forests . jogja , lots of traffic , the old dutch admin buildings and fort interesting of course must see Borobudor

malang to surabaya **** road heavy traffic , honestly dont like surabaya ,traffic, pollution .

generally the road condition, in parts is bad potholes etc , petty crime of course is an issue , pick decent hotels there is plenty , I find the people in java now more radical ,

but a good ride , enjoy !

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just what I'm looking for! Many thanks - just a couple of questions:

hi markit nice ride ya , I have done most of the places you wanna vist by car last year and various bits on the bike the previous year , my thoughts , bayuwangi to jember,
nice road switchbacks through the forest climbing , people say its dangerous , i found it fine only beggars on most corners , seems its a tradition in the forest , kali baru may be of interest at the top of the hill , old dutch coffee plantations nice quiet hotels , plantation railway colonial , though it was bust when i passed thro . Worth planning a stop for or should I press on to Jember?
on to jember nice country jembers boring , chinese mafia town . malang I used to like it now its like denpasar , crazy traffic , the dutch areas dieng etc are interesting for architecture , bromo nice ride up thro the forests . jogja , lots of traffic , the old dutch admin buildings and fort interesting of course must see Borobudor

malang to surabaya **** road heavy traffic , honestly dont like surabaya ,traffic, pollution . We were thinking of using a train to transport the bikes and us from Jogja to Surabaya and then by bike on to Madura - what do you think?

generally the road condition, in parts is bad potholes etc , petty crime of course is an issue , pick decent hotels there is plenty , I find the people in java now more radical ,

but a good ride , enjoy !

Much-ass-grassy-ass

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
Wish I could join you but can't!! I did something similar a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the drivers less impatient than those in (south) Bali with exception of bus drivers who are kamikaze pilots!! Ride at a speed where you can quickly ride off the road to your left when you come round a bend and find 2 buses side by side heading towards you. If you are expecting it then it's no surprise. We did a stately 250km a day. It was hard to find beer of course but found that the local cops were usually helpful. I agree with tel522 to some extent in that about 95% of the women in the towns wear the hijab and 100% in the country. Seemed a lot higher than my memory. I also noted that where there was yet another mosque being built that the first thing that goes up is the bl**dy PA system!!
By the way, we found a good priced restaurant with a big menu and good food in Jogja close to Jl Malioboro called Masbit Coffee Resto. It's in the GPS. (I used the WAZE app for all travel as I preferred it to Google Maps.)

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
I'm guessing that the train option will only cut your city riding by about half as you still have to get out of the city!

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
depending on your taste , I think kalibaru is a good place to stop for a night, high cool , the old plantation train is worth a look , if its running , jogja to surbaya , last time i took the train it was dead slow and the carriages were not the best , honestly i would ride and spend 1 night in malang , there are some good hotels near the central park , in the morning 2 to 3 hours to surabaya .

If you take the coast road on the way back to bali check out pasir putih , nice beach quiet good barbecue fish .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Wish I could join you but can't!! I did something similar a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the drivers less impatient than those in (south) Bali with exception of bus drivers who are kamikaze pilots!! Ride at a speed where you can quickly ride off the road to your left when you come round a bend and find 2 buses side by side heading towards you. If you are expecting it then it's no surprise. We did a stately 250km a day. I was just questioned by a hotel owner if we "really" want to go all of 150km to their hotel "all in one go" - people in Indonesia need to get out more It was hard to find beer of course but found that the local cops were usually helpful You asked the cops where to get beer?. I agree with tel522 to some extent in that about 95% of the women in the towns wear the hijab and 100% in the country. Seemed a lot higher than my memory. I also noted that where there was yet another mosque being built that the first thing that goes up is the bl**dy PA system!!
By the way, we found a good priced restaurant with a big menu and good food in Jogja close to Jl Malioboro called Masbit Coffee Resto. It's in the GPS. (I used the WAZE app for all travel as I preferred it to Google Maps.) good tip and thanks

I'm guessing that the train option will only cut your city riding by about half as you still have to get out of the city!
Maybe get off one stop before or after the city center?

depending on your taste , I think kalibaru is a good place to stop for a night, high cool , the old plantation train is worth a look , if its running , jogja to surbaya , last time i took the train it was dead slow and the carriages were not the best , honestly i would ride and spend 1 night in malang , there are some good hotels near the central park , in the morning 2 to 3 hours to surabaya . Will be stopping in Malang whatever happens as a "friend" lives there...

If you take the coast road on the way back to bali check out pasir putih , nice beach quiet good barbecue fish .

Can you please say where Pasir Putih is more exactly? I have one right next door and can imagine there's a few around...

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
pasir putih near sitibondo , might be a nice overnight b4 heading back to bali your about 2 hours to the ferry , ya its a chilled place not like java

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
In Jogja don't miss "The house of Raminten.
I really loved it for 7 of us the bill was about $19 that was 2 years ago
Its a great restaurant very very authentic, the prices are great about $1 -$3 per meal.
On the way to the toilet check out the real life horse in a stable inside.
Staff wear traditional outfits, decor is traditional it is unique and not many Bule's
Don't miss the experience you will thank me. It can get busy but we went about 11.30am and was ok
The owner also owns a large 2 storey shop on Jalan Malioboro which is fixed price and dirt cheap for Batik ,clothes souvenirs etc etc
20160209-195509-largejpg.jpg

If your looking for a place to stay in Jogja.treat yourself to a bit of luxury for about 80k for both of you including breakfast.
The Phoenix Hotel is so so good it was our favourite hotel in Indonesia .Its an authentic colonial building very beautiful inside and out.
The staff are great ,friendly and the female ones are very beautiful.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In Jogja don't miss "The house of Raminten. Noted and thanks

If your looking for a place to stay in Jogja.treat yourself to a bit of luxury for about 80k for both of you including breakfast. You mean $80 or 800k Idr yeah? If you have a contact where I can get a 4star room for 80k IDR then please share :O)
The Phoenix Hotel is so so good it was our favourite hotel in Indonesia .Its an authentic colonial building very beautiful inside and out.
The staff are great ,friendly and the female ones are very beautiful. Sold!

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
There are "Pasir Putih's" in many places. The one that tel522 mentioned is on the main North coast road between Banyuwangi and Surabaya, about 15- 20 kms west of Situbondo.
I've driven past it many times but nothing looked particularly appealing to me so never stopped. Even Lovina might be "better", but the sand's not white.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Thanks Johnny and noted. I have a (the best?) pasir putih right next door to me in Jasri so will probably give it a miss.

Don't take my word for it. If you're riding past it on your "motor-bike", check it out. Couldn't hurt too much.

I haven't been to Hawaii, but a long time ago, Hawaii imported tons of sand from Stockton Beach (near Newcastle, NSW, Australia). Hmm.

Tretes is basically a weekend destination for some Surabayans. The road up to it is all twists and turns. It's full of night butterflies and pimps, and not much else (from memory).
I stayed there for one night once. Basically unimpressed. I managed to buy a fake Swiss Army knife and a reasonable can opener from a mini-store. And it was pleasantly cold at night.

Not sure what happens (if anything) on weekdays.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
To my shame, no :O(. Rain waits for no man(but women do) and according to all reports east and central Java are still having biblical downpours on a daily basis.

Delayed is NOT Denied!