Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I understand that Indonesia has plans to enact a three tier system for motorcycle licenses (up to 250cc, 251-500cc, and 501cc+). Motorcycle licenses to be divided into three categories - The Jakarta Post Does anyone know if this has been implemented? Also, it would be great to hear from anyone who has recently converted a motorcycle license from their home country or otherwise has gotten a fresh local license. How was the process?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Go with local friend of local cop to cop shop.

Pay 1.2J

Take photo

Show old license from home or more

Wait 20 minutes trading trash talk with gathered group of Indonesia's finest

Receive 5 year license for both car and bike

On merry way.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010

Pay 1.2J

Take photo

On merry way.

That's exactly the procedure / system they want to replace these days...perhaps in the east it takes a bit longer to condemn and restart (#disconnect to reconnect) but believe me if a VOA Bule runs around with a 5 y into driving license the cop who issued the BS is in deep ****...

Mark

Apr 19, 2004

Pay 1.2J

Take photo

On merry way.

Markit, is the motorcycle license the standard SIM C, or is it qualified for a particular size of bike?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
That's exactly the procedure / system they want to replace these days...perhaps in the east it takes a bit longer to condemn and restart (#disconnect to reconnect) but believe me if a VOA Bule runs around with a 5 y into driving license the cop who issued the BS is in deep ****...

Oh yeah... may have left out that step: Show "Kitas"

Markit, is the motorcycle license the standard SIM C, or is it qualified for a particular size of bike?

Sim C

davita

Mar 13, 2012

Mark....they have not yet implemented that 3 tier Sim C and probably will flip-flop on that as well as so many other ridiculous ideas.

I cannot comprehend why they would bother changing the rules whilst 12 year old kids ride all sorts of motorbikes/scooters with impunity.
About a year ago two teens, in school uniform, skidded into our parked car while another racing with him slammed into another parked car. The father of my guy was very apologetic whilst the other father tried to blame the owner of the car as it was parked on the street and therefore her fault.

My wife called the police and all they did was make a report....:icon_e_sad:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Mark....they have not yet implemented that 3 tier Sim C and probably will flip-flop on that as well as so many other ridiculous ideas.

I cannot comprehend why they would bother changing the rules whilst 12 year old kids ride all sorts of motorbikes/scooters with impunity.
About a year ago two teens, in school uniform, skidded into our parked car while another racing with him slammed into another parked car. The father of my guy was very apologetic whilst the other father tried to blame the owner of the car as it was parked on the street and therefore her fault.

My wife called the police and all they did was make a report....:icon_e_sad:
The kids are as young as 7 or 8 where I live (Sanur). Nothing happens to them even when they ride past the police at traffic lights.
Amazingly stupid.

And for Markit - my understanding is that even with a KITAS, bules can only get a Sim C (car or motorbike) for one year at a time.
Interestingly, my Indonesian wife recently got a five year licence to drive a car and she still can't get the car out of our garage.
Everybody go figure.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The kids are as young as 7 or 8 where I live (Sanur). Nothing happens to them even when they ride past the police at traffic lights.
Amazingly stupid.

I figure we've all been going at this corruption thing the wrong way. Instead of trying to figure out ways to beat the system we should just all be like the kids around Johnny Cools place and just be too fecking poor to pay any "fines" and the cops leave you alone too.

And for Markit - my understanding is that even with a KITAS, bules can only get a Sim C (car or motorbike) for one year at a time.
Interestingly, my Indonesian wife recently got a five year licence to drive a car and she still can't get the car out of our garage.
Everybody go figure.

I guess it all comes down to how you trash talk the cops. Clearly I seem to have the edge cause I got the 5 year C and A at the same time. Have to admit there was a certain amount of wonder and envy but I'm used to that. :O)

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Amazingly stupid.

Everybody go figure.

I am towards the end of 5-year SIMs for both car and motorbike (but that's with KITAP) - they from Singaraja. Soon I will see how I go in Gianyar.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Amazingly stupid.

Everybody go figure.

I am also nearing the end of my International Permit for riding sepida motor dan motor, so this post has my interest. I am currently licensed to drive a car and a motorcycle in Oz and through the international permit am fully valid on the road di sini.
Having recently obtained a Retirement Kitas I can see why my first local licensing would be only for 1 year as my first chance at extending my visa (compulsory) will be in 12 months time.
Doesn't mean I like it or that it's convenient, it just is.

I'm in Ubud so where do I start? Cop shop?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm in Ubud so where do I start? Cop shop?

Would suggest that you introduce yourself to RonB as he is also looking and lives in Ubud and (A) ask around the circle of acquaintances if anyone knows someone. (B) Your local boozer is always a good start and they have cold beer to kill the pain. Would not go to the cop shop cold - you can always do that when plan A and B haven't worked out.

Will ask some deviants I know in Ubud if they know anyone/thing.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Thanx markit, I've explored some options but seeing as though this thread was up and running I thought I'd run my enquiries up the flag pole.

G'day RonB, what say you? I'm available for a beer and chat.

Side note.
When I came to Bali in '81 I needed to get a local 'permit' and spent the day doing nothing but wait while my 'guide' did everything, riding test, written test and palm greasing. All but sign the final document. :) and I used to love riding into Denpasar for excitement when the surf was crap.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Side note.
When I came to Bali in '81 I needed to get a local 'permit' and spent the day doing nothing but wait while my 'guide' did everything, riding test, written test and palm greasing. All but sign the final document. :) and I used to love riding into Denpasar for excitement when the surf was crap.

In the good old colonial days all of Asia was like that for the expat...we had 'runners' that did all the running and were handsomely rewarded. Us 'bule' in RI but substitute for a 'whitey' in other countries would drink our gin and tonic and think of a White Xmas...:apathy:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
It's quite easy to get a new IDP from a motoring association in Australia, if you have a valid licence there.
I used to renew mine with the RACWA in Perth (because it was cheaper than other states at the time).