Motorbike

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Hi everyone, I want to buy a new motorbike, and went to the Honda shop in Klungkung. They said I had to have proof of residency in Padangbai. I just went to the Kapala desa and asked for this and they brushed me off and said go to my embassy, and get some kind of paper from them that says I live here in Padangbai, then the Kapala desa can give me a letter of domicili. I don’t think my embassy will help me and it would be a wasteful trip tp go there. I wanted the bike to be in my name. I don’t like the idea of having a Bali partner with the bike in their name. If anyone has information on this, please send it too me. They said I had to be married or live here for over five years to get the KTP. This is such a drag. Dennis

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
You need to be married legally ,then starts the "document dance " , kitas 2 years married then you can apply kitap , as you said you have a partner ,so the kitap is no solution for you at the moment.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
You need to be married legally ,then starts the "document dance " , kitas 2 years married then you can apply kitap , as you said you have a partner ,so the kitap is no solution for you at the moment.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Thanks for all the information. I don’t have a partner and if I did I am not getting married, never have never will. I just want a damn motorbike in my name. I don’t like the idea of putting it in a locals name. Sounds like monkey business to me!

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
@Padangbai Dennis, unless you're a permanent resident (with Kitap), you can't buy any vehicles in your name. Just buy it in someone else's name and keep the BPKB (ownership book - also known as the "blue book") in a safe place. The bike can't be sold legally without the book.

Reactions: gtrken

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Indonesia has really two type's of visa, tourist & resident . You have a tourist visa so you can only holiday here, If you had a resident visa(retirement, work ,investment, spouse) visa you can have a bike, long term rental, licence . So until you change from a tourist visa you cannot get anything in your name.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
You might be able to negotiate a longer term rental. Daily hire rates for scooters are about $5 a day but you might check for a reputable dealer as there are dodgy 'rentals". I do hope you have an international motorbike and home motorbike licence. Any insurance cover would be void in the absence of these while hoping you never have an accident. There have been many instances of Bule landing in hospital with huge medical bills and travel or other insurance not covering because the rider has not had a licence. And, of course, you are in a vulnerable situation were there an accident involving injury to an Indonesia citizen.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The restriction is, I think, only applicable to buying new bikes or cars so just get a local to buy the bike you want (you keeping the blue book) and then have him sell it to you for 100 rupiah. Job done. Bill of sale you can figure out yourself.

Reactions: sakumabali

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
The restriction is, I think, only applicable to buying new bikes or cars so just get a local to buy the bike you want (you keeping the blue book) and then have him sell it to you for 100 rupiah. Job done. Bill of sale you can figure out yourself.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Thanks, Well it looks like that is the only way to do this. I guess that I was just thinking like a foreigner wanting to have it in my name. Let me know when the pool games start up again. It would be fun to play pool again and bs with some bules. Here it is only locals, so I only get to speak Bahasa Indonesian which is good practice for me, but my Bahasa is limited. Luckily my friends speak broken English too. It’s impossible to understand their obligations to their religion. I give up questioning about it. It would be too much for me to have this obligation. Thanks again

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
As others have mentioned in here, you are on a TOURIST visa so you only have the rights of a TOURIST. So you got a decision to make. Either keep abusing the visa system here like the rest of the crunchy-granola digital gonads in Canggu/Ubud and live a life of a permanent tourist constantly in limbo.

OR

Put your big boy pants on and make a serious decision about your life. Do you want to stay here long term? Then pony up and get a KITAS. There are ways to do that without getting married or getting hired by a company.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Thanks for all the information. I don’t have a partner and if I did I am not getting married, never have never will. I just want a damn motorbike in my name. I don’t like the idea of putting it in a locals name. Sounds like monkey business to me!
Why you don't just rent / lease one ?

Reactions: tel522

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
you mentioned negativity here; I would never call other foreigners "Bule"...it's a very stereotyped word. I'd say if Indonesians still do it we don't have to do it too...
Well said, I don’t mean to be negative saying that. It’s just I have heard it for so many years that I thought it was normal. Sorry about that, no offense intended.

Reactions: sakumabali