Manny

Sep 20, 2009
I am thinking of buying a motor cycle with mounted side car. I see so few of them in Bali -- are they legal (to operate on Bali streets) ? Thanks.
For the experts, any advice--where to buy, how much--any other advice would be appreciated.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Manny

I'm not sure if they're "officially legal" but I can guarantee you one thing. You (and your passenger) will draw lots of attention, both from local on-lookers and probably the police.
Traffic, especially in the southern parts of Bali, is rather chaotic at the best of times. I'm trying to imagine how a side-car would do even in places like Ubud.

Perhaps the reason you haven't seen many so far is because they're only for the super brave (or stupid or uninitiated). Like trailers on cars. Useful things but I wouldn't want to drive my car with one of them on the back.
Whilst I can appreciate the idea of riding a motorbike with a side-car, I think it would be even more dangerous than usual. If you value your life, I think I'd forget about it.

I used to ride plain ol' motorbikes in Bali beginning in the early 1970s. Managed to stay alive through the 1980s, 1990s. I eventually gave up mainly because I like to have a decent sound-system to listen to music to. Plus the added "protection" of a stronger metal cage (car), surrounding me.

You might be interested to read the following which I've pinched off a website somewhere. I think that notions of "escape routes" in "emergency" situations here are purely academic.

The dynamics of a sidecar are totally different than a motorcycle's. When you brake, it turns away from the sidecar. Under acceleration, the drag of the sidecar makes the rig turn into it. Turn into the sidecar, and it tries to lift. Turn hard enough, especially with an empty sidecar, and it will flip over. However, you can turn away from the sidecar very hard, until the tires slide. These sort of maneuvers require much more steering force than a two-wheeler.
When you have to swerve or brake hard and quickly in an emergency, a sidecar becomes quite a handful. If you want to swerve hard, you have to quickly apply a lot of muscle, but not too much if you swerve toward the side where the `car is mounted. Panic braking requires you to muscle the steering to keep stay straight. And you can't rely on the two-wheeler's old fallback escape route between lanes of cars. A sidecar's width gives it few more escape lanes than an automobile.
I wish you all the very best, in any case...like good luck!

:ghost:

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
manny...

do you mean like a vespa with sidecar, or a big bike (400cc or more) ?
about the legality, that would depend on the papers that come with the bike, i.e. STNK and/or BPKB.

I do agree with johnnyc though, it won't be a practical vehicle down south..

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Lots of Vespa's here with sidecars, you really need to be very brave to have a sidecar. Why not look at the 3 wheel delivery bikes or the trikes they have to take people around in?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
yeah, that's why I am asking...cuz overhere alot of vespa sidecars too, although not with original sidecars but with a selfmade sort of attachement :highly_amused:
prices anywhere between 5jt till 45jt, dpending on year/condition/type

mastercaster

Nov 10, 2010
I don't know if they are legal either .. however several of my friends drive them now or have in the past ... and I have experience as well ...
For what it's worth ... if you are used to 2 wheels and not used to riding with a "sidehack" ... third wheel ... which uses a very unique riding
technic , or if you are not used to riding 2 wheels ... imo ... this is not the place to learn how to ride with a sidecar ...
Unless you want to visit Sanglah !

Stay safe