More rice fields gone day by day and more villas and swimming pools

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
We used to go for a walk on the rice fields to some place outside of Ubud, we had to parking the motorbike before the place because was not possible to go trough the rice fields with the motorbike.
I was shocked a few weeks ago when I went there and I saw a public new road even with a white line on the middle and cars, trucks and motorbikes passing that road.
I guess if there is a public road, is this expropriation? now there is many signs on both sides of the road and on the rice fields selling, renting and leasing land on the rice fields and already a few villas are built along all the road and rice fields.
It is hard for me to believe that all the owners of all the rice fields agreed to sell part of the rice fields to do the public road, because must be a lot owners, the long of the road is probably around 1 kilometer or longer and both sides has a lot rice fields.
I guess there is a lot economical interests behind, so far small villas but maybe another big resort in project?
It is very shocking for me and break my heart, I will never get use to see how nature is been taking by cement and luxury villas day by day around Ubud area.
I think many Chinese Indonesian or non Chinese rich Indonesians are built ups resorts and more resorts or high standard hotels all over Bali.
For many people Bali and Ubud is only about money, I hate to see so much business going around all the time and it seems like everybody these days in Ubud is focus in making money, Ubud is getting so commercial, too much in my opinion, not free activities at all, not activities for locals, not play ground areas for kids, not green areas for families and children to go, play or walk around, we have to go to Bedugul if we want to be in a local cheap place with the family or friends spending the day, only hotels and hotels, and resorts and resorts and the local transport still a mess and almost non existent after 11 am, Batubulan terminal is a mess.........
More villas, more swimming pools and more and more contrast between the local people and the tourists or expats, huge social inequalities....... but the most of tourists and expats of course don't have a clue about how local people live or have ever been inside of a local house, especially outside of tourist areas, in parts like Karangasam or Singaraja.
Do you still wonder why local people think foreigners are rich? really?

How much is too much?

https://www.facebook.com/balitoomuch/

Better to stop and breath...........

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The demand comes from the tourists and many Indonesians are making money from these developments, so their families move up the socio-economic ladder. To them, I say "Great!" you are doing well, and enjoy.

But maybe your point is that you want local governments to impose planning controls that would put some limits on the developments. Maybe this could be a good idea, but I try and remember that I am a guest and the Indonesians are running the country. So should I ever be lobbying for causes? I think that where specific injustices are seen, maybe. But where general policies are being mapped out, I think I should stay out of it and leave it to Indonesians.

Reactions: hermit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I also object to people coming to Bali, seeing a beautiful rice terrace and plonking a dirty great villa (complex?) down in the middle of it but in the mean time I've come to the same rationalization as with accepting Sharia law in Aceh: if we or they don't like living like that then head off to some of the other (largely unmolested by tourists) 16,000 islands that make up the Indonesian archipelago. Don't wanna? Well I guess it's not that bad then?

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
I also object to people coming to Bali, seeing a beautiful rice terrace and plonking a dirty great villa (complex?) down in the middle of it

Isn't that what you did???????

Personally would like to see the end of foreign ownership of any kind in Bali. I wonder how 'welcome' we will be when the Balinese can no longer afford to live on their own island (though admittedly they are their own worst enemies at the moment).

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have built in the middle of a coconut orchard starting with 44 trees. Now have 35 having lost 2 this year to the fecking Rhinobeetle and it's kids. Have added numerous papaya, sirsop, avocado, banana, dragon fruit and mango.

So no, didn't build in a rice field.

If you wanted to see what Bali would be like without foreigners then you should have come 2008 when it was just beginning to recover slowly from the bombing exodus of ALL foreigners and what that meant for them. Now it's like a dream of wealth for most of them with more than enough jobs, things to buy and the money to buy it with. The Balinese middle class is the fastest growing group in Indonesia.

Nins

Dec 27, 2017
Lovina
In 1992 my friend and I parked our motorbike by the road in kuta area, forgot to take out the key and had lunch. Bike was still there in one piece 2 hrs later. Now u drop your wallet in there within a second u can say bye to it.

Bali has changed a lot! Tourism / migration / development / degradation / whatever..

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Before the rice field what was there? The beginning of the end started a long time ago. Before you built your villas what was there? Where do you deposit your rubbish and sewerage? Humans foot print is ugly and if every human left Bali what a wonderful place it would be. Imagine Bali a national park treasure where the wildlife could take back what originally belonged to them ( dream on )