MONEY TRANSFERS

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Before returning to Australia in November I had been using Wise.com. On returning the system has changed and am now required to transfer money to Wise from my bank before transferring to Indonesia. I won't bore you with details of how complicated the transfer from my bank to Wise has become. Tried to resolve by ringing Westpac but after waiting for some while after connecting and being within 3 minutes of talking to a human the phone just cut off. Had the same problem yesterday trying to ring ovfer other matters. Thought I would use Paypal but am back to the old problem of my contact mobile number has changed as it has with Tokopedia. Just changing the number is not so simple. the websites will suggest log into your account.... which I can't do because my number had changed

Probably simpler to use a different transfer company but who and one without exorbitant fees? For example to transfer $1000 Au with Wise would give me Rp 10,302,689

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I have had problems with Wise and their authentication process. But nothing like what you have described. I can still transfer funds from my Australian account to any recipients that I have in my list. I don't have to transfer to Wise first even though I have Indonesian, Australian and UK currency accounts set up.
Wise customer service is shit. Don't even bother trying to contact them, your blood pressure will explode.
I stick with them because I am lazy and can't be arsed switching to some other provider who will probably turn out to be even worse. But despite all the annoying shit, they still eventually get the job done.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I have had problems with Wise and their authentication process. But nothing like what you have described. I can still transfer funds from my Australian account to any recipients that I have in my list. I don't have to transfer to Wise first even though I have Indonesian, Australian and UK currency accounts set up.
Wise customer service is shit. Don't even bother trying to contact them, your blood pressure will explode.
I stick with them because I am lazy and can't be arsed switching to some other provider who will probably turn out to be even worse. But despite all the annoying shit, they still eventually get the job done.
Yes. The Wise customer service is totally inadequate. But it seems all big organizations are reluctant to spend money to have people dealing with your problems. Last year I tried to find a way to cancel a subscription with Skype and went in circles. Found the only was to cancel the credit card from which they withdrew auto charges monthly. Now will just pay for credit but never auto charge.

This week I needed to reformat some documents to upload to Centrelink which required PDF format. I thought I would try the Adobe "free" 7 day trial for which they require credit card details. As it happened I could not get the download for Adobe to stick so Immediately tried to cancel otherwise they automatically start monthy billing. Again very hard to find the means to cancel. Finished up in an Adobe chat room which kept offering special deals. It took about six goes insisting I was not interested in deals and just want to cancel. Eventually succeeded.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yes. The Wise customer service is totally inadequate. But it seems all big organizations are reluctant to spend money to have people dealing with your problems. Last year I tried to find a way to cancel a subscription with Skype and went in circles. Found the only was to cancel the credit card from which they withdrew auto charges monthly. Now will just pay for credit but never auto charge.

This week I needed to reformat some documents to upload to Centrelink which required PDF format. I thought I would try the Adobe "free" 7 day trial for which they require credit card details. As it happened I could not get the download for Adobe to stick so Immediately tried to cancel otherwise they automatically start monthy billing. Again very hard to find the means to cancel. Finished up in an Adobe chat room which kept offering special deals. It took about six goes insisting I was not interested in deals and just want to cancel. Eventually succeeded.
It's time nursey came for the keyboard Harry...

harryopal

May 5, 2016
It's time nursey came for the keyboard Harry...
Markit, not quite ready for that. I just found that I can transfer using my Aus bank debit card. Successfully made transfer and into my local account in about five seconds. No thanks to the Wise support. Next thing is to sort out a driver for my printer which has just been denied by an unasked for Microsoft update.

By the way, today Kuta Money exchange are offering Rp 9900 for the Aus $. The Wise transfer after charges was Rp 10,236,

Reactions: Markit and tel522

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hi Harry

While I'm in Sydney at the moment as I'm sure you know from my posts I occasionally send money over there, have been using Wise for years, I tried on Sunday, it was like they stopped supporting anything to do with Westpac, I have no idea if it's temporary or permanent but Westpac option has been completely pulled from all their menus, where all the other big banks here haven't.

I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but I ended up doing a Western Union transfer, the rate on Wise is very slightly better but it's pretty close. Now the difference is WU someone has to go in to a branch and pick it up in Bali, but you can send it to your Mrs there or whatever ID you can use it pick it up and pay with POLI for example. It's at least a temporary solution. Just so there is no confusion this is the site I mean https://www.westernunion.com/au/en/

In regards to your pdfs, try next time try https://smallpdf.com/edit-pdf or just google "free online pdf convertor" there are plenty of them all free. They sometimes have a restriction of how many documents you can convert in a day on the free ones, but then you just go on to the next site.

Before returning to Australia in November I had been using Wise.com. On returning the system has changed and am now required to transfer money to Wise from my bank before transferring to Indonesia. I won't bore you with details of how complicated the transfer from my bank to Wise has become. Tried to resolve by ringing Westpac but after waiting for some while after connecting and being within 3 minutes of talking to a human the phone just cut off. Had the same problem yesterday trying to ring ovfer other matters. Thought I would use Paypal but am back to the old problem of my contact mobile number has changed as it has with Tokopedia. Just changing the number is not so simple. the websites will suggest log into your account.... which I can't do because my number had changed

Probably simpler to use a different transfer company but who and one without exorbitant fees? For example to transfer $1000 Au with Wise would give me Rp 10,302,689

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
In regards to your pdfs, try next time try https://smallpdf.com/edit-pdf or just google "free online pdf convertor" there are plenty of them all free. They sometimes have a restriction of how many documents you can convert in a day on the free ones, but then you just go on to the next site.

I find the two following apps to be nothing less than awesome when I am messing around with images and file formats on my PC: No messing around online or exposing my private docs to some third party dodgy privacy terms.

1 ImageMagic (https://imagemagick.org/)
2 GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/)

As always verify the link and the authenticity of the place you download from ... before you download .. to avoid middle-man malware.

Both are opensource and hail from the linux world but generally work well on windows too. The former is like an image swiss-army knife (feels a bit long in the tooth) and the latter a photoshop clone (a bit overwhelming).

In imageMagick you simply hit save, then format and select from hundreds of choices and then enter a filename followed by save and your done.

For GIMP its ExportAs that gets you there.

Cheers.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
britoo, thanks for the link to convert files.

PERtoDPS

Thanks for the reply. If you have a debit card you can use that with Wise. It is actually quicker than the previous process nominating Westpac with Polri. Money in the account in 4 seconds. You can also use credit cards but much higher charges for a credit card.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
britoo, thanks for the link to convert files.

PERtoDPS

Thanks for the reply. If you have a debit card you can use that with Wise. It is actually quicker than the previous process nominating Westpac with Polri. Money in the account in 4 seconds. You can also use credit cards but much higher charges for a credit card.
I think we are confusing each other a bit here, just to correct:

I usually do the debt card method using my Westpac debt card, with payID but on Sunday there was no option to do anything from a Westpac account or the iphone app, I figured it was maybe just due to maintanice or uncompatable updates but I don't really know. I hope it's back to working (sounds as though it is from your last post) next time I use it, WU is an alternative I was giving definitely my choice B also no arguement there.

As for the PDF files, britoo's method is superior to mine for reasons stated.

All that done and dusted, hope you guys are doing well!

SebastienJ

Sep 2, 2022
nolimit.consulting
Unsure if you solved the issue or not, but I've been using Revolut for everything internationally and it's pretty great. Customer service is good, but then again I have their Metal plan, which is worth it, considering I get 80% of the money back via their cashback and other benefits go beyond that.

You should check if it's available for you to make an account with them.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Use WISE regulary to transfer money from France to Bali or to my kids in Thailand and it works perfectly.
When transferring from my French SG account to my Bali HSBC it is instantly.

Reactions: Markit