Merry Christmas Everyone

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to readers and a special thank you to those who keep this forum going.

Merry Christmas but..... On our way to a Christmas lunch at Puri Garding with its narrow, winding, pot holed lanes and we came to a corner with not enough room for two cars. I carefully tried to back up a little and succeeded in dropping the front left wheel into the deep, narrow drain. Over the next hour and a half so many people came forward to try and help us out with some staying to the bitter end. Eventually got the wheel lifted out of the drain but the front wheel stabilizers were damaged rendering the car undrivable. A wait of maybe two hours to get a tray truck to come. The bengkel recommended by insurers closed for the day so had car towed home and will organize pick up tomorrow assuming bengkel open. Got my my wife to go on to our two separate social events while I will spend the Christmas eve at home.

My Indonesian wife a bit shaken by the experience but no one hurt and compared with the many thousands of people experiencing floods and other extreme weather events I would rate the event as about 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Amazing how many people put effort and time into trying to get us out of trouble. Of course we had to pay a standard fee for the tray truck pick up but no one tried to use the occasion to get money. Just cheerful, spontaneous and generous people.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I dropped the front wheel of my (then) APV into a drain and got 3 stout field workers to lift it out. No damage done and IDR 50 each and job done.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to readers and a special thank you to those who keep this forum going.

Merry Christmas but..... On our way to a Christmas lunch at Puri Garding with its narrow, winding, pot holed lanes and we came to a corner with not enough room for two cars. I carefully tried to back up a little and succeeded in dropping the front left wheel into the deep, narrow drain. Over the next hour and a half so many people came forward to try and help us out with some staying to the bitter end. Eventually got the wheel lifted out of the drain but the front wheel stabilizers were damaged rendering the car undrivable. A wait of maybe two hours to get a tray truck to come. The bengkel recommended by insurers closed for the day so had car towed home and will organize pick up tomorrow assuming bengkel open. Got my my wife to go on to our two separate social events while I will spend the Christmas eve at home.

My Indonesian wife a bit shaken by the experience but no one hurt and compared with the many thousands of people experiencing floods and other extreme weather events I would rare the event as about 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. Amazing how many people put effort and time into trying to get us out of trouble. Of course we had to pay a standard fee for the tray truck pick up but no one tried to use the occasion to get money. Just cheerful, spontaneous and generous people. d

Reactions: YachtRock

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I dropped the front wheel of my (then) APV into a drain and got 3 stout field workers to lift it out. No damage done and IDR 50 each and job done.
The problem was compounded by the drain being next to a wall so not possible to lift from that side. Arnold Schwarzenegger may have done it.. but unfortunately he wasn't around.