Meanwhile in Thailand

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
It's definitely smart. Less expenses for "crime" control, more taxes AND more jobs! Looks like Germany will do it too soon....

War on soft drugs is stupid & a total failure. Even the word "drug" is misleading in my opinion. I'd say Bintang beer is a drug too. And probably more harmful too (with all the sugar in it) :D

Humans are using this amazing medicinal plant since thousands of years. America pushed for illegalisation for very dubious (racist) reasons.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RossM and spicyayam

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
It's definitely smart. Less expenses for "crime" control, more taxes AND more jobs! Looks like Germany will do it too soon....

War on soft drugs is stupid & a total failure. Even the word "drug" is misleading in my opinion. I'd say Bintang beer is a drug too. And probably more harmful too (with all the sugar in it) :D

Humans are using this amazing medicinal plant since thousands of years. America pushed for illegalisation for very dubious (racist) reasons.
Some of the darkest days of my life were when I was smoking weed every day. I think it's a horrible drug and should not be advertised in such a way. If it has medicinal purposes, then great. Let's explore that. But I think creating a culture in which drug use is normalized is not the way to go. "War on drugs" is also not effective.

Instead, resources should be spent on education about these harmful drugs so we create a culture of responsible use (or better yet, no use at all unless for medicinal purposes).
#JackStraw for governor 2023

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
#harmful drugs, you say drug use shouldn't be normalized. ok I agree...now closing all bars were people getting hammered? Or how you want to teach them responsible use before? On the plane?

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
#harmful drugs, you say drug use shouldn't be normalized. ok I agree...now closing all bars were people getting hammered? Or how you want to teach them responsible use before? On the plane?
They have these things called schools. It's for teaching. You could teach people about responsible use there.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Especially in Texas :(
Texas has one of the poorest educational systems in the US. So my complaints are not of that nature. To be fair perhaps I shouldn't have been that critical without explanation:
It does seem to me that many schools in the Seattle area where I am from focus greatly on matters beyond what schools were traditionally structured to accomplish. Today everywhere a kid can get a smattering of a wealth of information by just googling, but that is hardly education of anything in any depth, nor is it preparation for higher education. With only so many hours in a day somethings are going to suffer when too much attention is given to social issues that kids should be getting at home, and doubt if that is only common to Seattle today.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
They have these things called schools. It's for teaching. You could teach people about responsible use there.
So you think schools should be responsible for teaching morals, don't drink too much, don't take drugs, be polite, respect the elders etc.....

Isn't that supposed to be done by the parents ?

Note : I have 3 kids, all over 22 now, and their moral / civic education was done at home.
And it worked. None of them smokes, take drugs or walks around shirtless !

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
So you think schools should be responsible for teaching morals, don't drink too much, don't take drugs, be polite, respect the elders etc.....

Note : I have 3 kids, all over 22 now, and their moral / civic education was done at home.
Or you've taught them well how to hide it? Also worth knowing...

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Or you've taught them well how to hide it? Also worth knowing...
There are things difficult to hide.
Eldest boy, in the Army, of course has a good drink now and then. But I teached him to drink J.D. Coke, a bit of style doesn't hurt

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
None of them smokes, take drugs or walks around shirtless !

Guys, I am no moralizer and for sure drink too much but alcohol is also a drug. Biggest killer of all existing drugs.
So when your son "has a good drink now and then" he's using drugs. We're all old enough (and should be honest enough) to admit it...

Reactions: JackStraw

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Guys, I am no moralizer and for sure drink too much but alcohol is also a drug. Biggest killer of all existing drugs.
So when your son "has a good drink now and then" he's using drugs. We're all old enough (and should be honest enough) to admit it...
Nope, alcohol is not a drug except if you become addicted to it.
7 years Navy, 35 years in international construction, believe me I had more than my share of alcohol.
But I can do a weekend on the piss, and then 2 weeks without even a beer. I am not addicted.
Never touched a drug. Never smoked.

Reactions: RossM

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Nope, alcohol is not a drug except if you become addicted to it.
7 years Navy, 35 years in international construction, believe me I had more than my share of alcohol.
But I can do a weekend on the piss, and then 2 weeks without even a beer. I am not addicted.
Never touched a drug. Never smoked.
Makes absolutely no sense what you're saying :D

alcohol is a legal established drug (in western countries) and weed is still an illegal drug. Both are drugs per se. If you are addicted or not that's a complete different story...

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

alcohol is a legal established drug (in western countries) and weed is still an illegal drug. Both are drugs per se. If you are addicted or not that's a complete different story...

Here in Sydney you can now get a script from GPs, though I suspect many will be reluctant to write it. Then there is the private pay clinics. It's a great system, but it's way overpriced and pricewise the black market is the more realistic option currently.

Reactions: sakumabali

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017

Obviously it is a complete waste of time to try to discusss with you !
Probably because "discussion" is unknown in your culture.
BTW : Staying civil and avoiding answering "nonsense" is a prerequirement to any civil discussion.
Have a nice day !

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017

I think you are giving far too much credit to the majority of parents out there. Most of them are retards! They can't even take care of themselves never mind be a good role model for their kids! You are the exception to the rule in this case but I certainly think schools should be responsible for teaching morals because odds are they aren't getting that education at home.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I think you are giving far too much credit to the majority of parents out there. Most of them are retards! They can't even take care of themselves never mind be a good role model for their kids

Sadly I know you are right, and I have seen it in several countries since years.

I went to primary school in Belgium, and remember we had 1 hour per week of "civic education". Topics were like how the parliament function, the basic idea of what is a constitution, the need of respect.of law if we want social life to work, etc..
Must also have been things about being polite, civil behaviour etc..
We are speaking mid 60's here so the world was not yet the madhouse it is now.

But it was our parents who teached us (sometimes harshly) how to properly behave in society. And there was 4 of us !

Reactions: JackStraw and RossM