Status
Not open for further replies.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Take real passionfruit juice (Markisa) freeze it into ice cubes, take 4 or 5 in a long drink glass and add 3 fingers of Arak. Top off with sprite. Good sundowner and builds you up as it's knocking you down. Tastes pretty good too!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Until I found that Arak can be poionous I used to throw half a shot into a cold Bintang, then the other half into the 2nd one...ad infinitum.
It spiced the Bintang up...much like my dad would put a thimbleful of Scotch into his pint of Black and Tan...or was it Mild and Bitter. All I remember was it made him happy and also me....as he would let me sip. I was 10.

Does anyone know how to determine if Arak is genuine and not that 'made in the kitchen crap'...any recognized brands?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Better than doing voodoo on Arak I would like to suggest you distil your own...

A friend of mine hales from Australia where, he says, distilling moonshine is perfectly legal and he has the apparatus to prove it.

He makes a "mash" out of sugar/water/yeast and waits a few days and then distills a few liters of your best moonshine. He gets his flavors from Oz when he goes back and makes a passable (and fecking CHEAP) drop of whiskey/bourbon/vodka/etc and it cost nearly nothing.

If you know any Ozzies (and who doesn't?) get one to bring you the kit next time they come over and some flavors. I've done my apprenticeship which involves a lot of tasting so can't really remember much but I think it was pretty easy.

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
Making alcohol in any form, including beer and wine, without a license is illegal in Indonesia. Even for home consumption.

I guess Bali authorities tolerate small Arak distillers, but as foreigner I would be very careful. You staff WILL talk about it to their friends.

A possible work around might be if you distill Arak you bought. Technically you are not making alcohol, just converting it. No different then adding ice cubes to a cocktail. If properly distilled once or twice and put through a pipe filled with activated carbon, you can end up with 95% PURE ethanol - as known as Vodka.

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
The boiling point of Methanol is about 65 degrees C, and that of ethanol about 78.5 degrees C. So, you can actually distill out the methanol first by heating the whole mixture to slightly higher than 65 C. The other way, an easier one, is to have a friend taste the booze first: if he goes blind, throw the drink away.:cupcake:

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
My Moonshiner bud reckons that he can taste the difference and subsequently throws the first glassful away. Says the ethanol tastes sweeter...

Possibly I'm, as Tintin mentioned, the taster "friend"?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My Moonshiner bud reckons that he can taste the difference and subsequently throws the first glassful away. Says the ethanol tastes sweeter...

Possibly I'm, as Tintin mentioned, the taster "friend"?

If you are...and not yet blind...it explains a lot..:abnormal::highly_amused:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Girl if the inbread, incestuous idiots in Kentucky can do it then anyone can... even an Australian.

but that from helping Grandpa and dad from a young age making hooch . They can not remember to shower or bath daily but they know a few recipes by heart

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Pray tell how does one "activate" charcoal? Through some sort of motivational speech, cheer-leading bobby soxers, stern talking too?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Pray tell how does one "activate" charcoal? Through some sort of motivational speech, cheer-leading bobby soxers, stern talking too?

hehehe....getting Tony Robbins or Donald Trump to motivate or activate charcoal is beyond my comprehension.

I had a simpler solution....kick it!
If it moves it's active...if it doesn't it's dead.....and shouldn't be used...:apple:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Google is your friend. Activated charcoal is not hard to make but time consuming.
Want to make your own? You'll need maybe four hours plus some calcium chloride.

Why make or have some?
It has a larger surface area than ordinary charcoal and catch more toxins before they harm you.
Useful to have around if you think someone's just tried to poison you.

I'm not 100% sure about this but "normal" charcoal tablets from a reputable apotek might be the same thing.

They can stop/slow down about 60% of toxins about to give you a very bad day.

P

paulseawind

hehehe....getting Tony Robbins or Donald Trump to motivate or activate charcoal is beyond my comprehension.

I had a simpler solution....kick it!
If it moves it's active...if it doesn't it's dead.....and shouldn't be used...:apple:

That is a missed approach, DVT.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
So just putting horrible arak through some active charcoal makes it into something comparable to the finest from Scotland?!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
So just putting horrible arak through some active charcoal makes it into something comparable to the finest from Scotland?!

Markit may have a point. In the interest of science and alcoholics I searched and found a direct relationship between carbon filtering (for Arak) and peat filtering (for Scotch) and the research being done here in Indonesia.

What more fascinating debate could any balipod member wish for.......yaawwn.... going to drink some air kelapa muda and get back to sleep...:apathy:

https://www.ncsu.edu/bioresources/B...Uraki_TOGT_Prep_Activated_Carbon_Peat_406.pdf

P

paulseawind

I searched and found

If you believe everything (or the first thing) that you find on the 'innernet' then you are being gulled.

I am watching HAWAII-50 this afternoon - now, that is more realistic than this Arak dribble.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If you believe everything (or the first thing) that you find on the 'innernet' then you are being gulled.

My link was to a peer review by many eminent professors..... but maybe you're right...sometimes even distinguished professors talk a lot of shiiite....:distant:

Didn't you comment, below, on the Win 10 thread that, as a professor, you gave lectures at University.

"I lectured at University in Commercial Programming and the students appreciated having a 'real world' Professor and not some theorist who enforced their opinion from a weak standpoint."...:icon_e_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.