Looking for advice

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Ok Gents. I need to find a reliable, trustworthy and dare I say it, honest lawyer in order to organise a pre-nup. I've read so many rather negative posts regarding lawyers on Bali that I'd rather get a recommendation from someone who has used a lawyer/notary for organising a pre-nup. Frankly I'm not even sure how such a thing should be worded so would appreciate any advise in that regard too.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
From what I've heard the basis of a pre-nuptial agreement in Indonesia is fairly basic and probably wouldn't require the hiring of a lawyer. It's just an agreement between you and your future wife about who gets what in the event it goes apart. Of main concern is any property YOU BUY and how you are going to sell it within the year after your divorce and that she has no prior claim. I'm sure there a people that have a template you can use or google it.

Best is don't buy the cow if the milk is free...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I may have mentioned before my wife is a lawyer here. I can assure you she is honest, but her rates aren't the cheapest.

I would not use a template that the notary provides. I have known foreigners get a pre-nup from a notary, they thought they were protected, but they had no idea what was actually in the actual pre-nup.

One thing that has been booming during Covid has been divorce (all mixed marriages) and my wife has been doing quite a few lately, so she knows how to protect your assets. Notaries make the final legal document so many people just go to notaries directly, but they don't they have different knowledge/experience to what a lawyer can help you with.