hello111

Aug 15, 2014
hi there - I am thinking about renting some land ( 25 yrs) about 500 sq metres in bingin/bukit area and was wondering if someone could please help me:

1) recommend a good architect
2) a builder that I can trust
3) any pitfalls or bali scams i should be aware of

This is my first time doing something like this in Bali and I am very very scared of getting ripped off as I do not completely trust Indonesian property laws.... I mean is it OK will they owners of the land one day decide to throw me off the land - what rights do i have etc etc - I would appreciate some help.

Thx

Steve

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
How much you putting in.....tis all relative.....but if you very very scared, I would not do it. Its like gambling or high risk high return shares, if you not a risk taker, you will not sleep at night and also is it family or strangers you dealing with?

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I can connect you with a group builders from Java that works on our place if you want to.
But before you even consider building, make sure you get a solid architect and the building permit first, getting a decent builder is not that hard nowadays:icon_wink:

The most popular scams lately is the rogue nominee
But lately I also heard a lot of friend had problems when they lease a land and ask the land owner to build the buildings, its a whole lot of mess and you can't really fired him because you are leasing his place and you will need his help regularly

Last edited:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
So the good o'l "you can trust me" nominee is becoming scarce ? Funny how the timing is just right with exorbitant prices coming about.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
First off friend I personally wouldn't build anything on the Bukit but a sand box - no water to speak of and very, very deep (expansive) wells to go with run-away silly land prices.

Secondly, if you want to invest serious sums of money in your dream house here on Bali dig around for weeks and months in the old files here for the best information.

Thirdly if you want to be happy here come and spend serious amounts of time touring the island, talking to people (expats) and looking at what they've done right and, possibly more importantly, wrong.

Of course if you don't give a toss about a couple of hundred thousand dollars then bull right ahead or send it to me.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
But lately I also heard a lot of friend had problems when they lease a land and ask the land owner to build the buildings, its a whole lot of mess and you can't really fired him because you are leasing his place and you will need his help regularly

seriously? why sb should ask the the LAND OWNER to do the buildings? :icon_eek:

Last edited:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I am still having problems with the word "trustworthy". I have asked the 36 staff that I have about this word. All I get is vacant looks and silence.

hello111

Aug 15, 2014
thanks for all your replies - I am not wedded to the bukit area - I am happy to look elsewhere - perhaps where it might be a bit cheaper - north of seminyak - I am not looking at buying the land but leasing it for 25 years - so do i need an indo nominee and is this a safe bet so to speak...

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
north of seminyak is MUCH more expensive than Bukit. 25 years lease is safe but don'T bet on the "guaranteed" extension

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
"North of Seminyak" is the rest of Bali so you can't make a blanket statement that it's much more expensive than the bukit. I realize that many of the idiots that live in the south have absolutely no knowledge of the "unknown" land north of the Sunset Rd. but we want to keep it that way - that way they all stay where they belong.

Leasehold you don't need a nominee just a good Notary to draw up the agreement. Personally I wouldn't rush into making leasehold agreement just yet as there is talk of the law being changed (more advantageously) in the near future. Unless you can build any changes into the present agreement.

arsinibali

Jun 29, 2011
i have cousin base in Kerambitan, Tabanan usually build house, villa, hotel pool. Honest and trust is good start........