Looking at rental houses

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
I am visiting Bali soon to visit family and am considering what it would be like living there, have to consider education would my son have, security for ourselves, living standards, crossing to Java safely via ferry and advised to watch out for mafia hanging around there by my bro in law, suitabe accommodation, which part of the island to live and of course govt tax so much to tink of yet I still wonder , tinking of your future Bali adventures Metter all the best T.

Thanks Teddybear,

I have never lived in Bali (yet) but visit roughly twice a year. Any ‘mafia’ to me seems over the top in language but is used regularly. Even as a tourist you learn how not to get ripped off to a degree and I am sure the expats here know much more. I see Bali as a safe place to live as long as you try to fit in.

Reactions: sakumabali

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks Teddybear,

I have never lived in Bali (yet) but visit roughly twice a year. Any ‘mafia’ to me seems over the top in language but is used regularly. Even as a tourist you learn how not to get ripped off to a degree and I am sure the expats here know much more. I see Bali as a safe place to live as long as you try to fit in.
Gday, you mentioned that you wont be earning any income, but renting your house out for $25,000 annually and interest earned from savings is income , thus tax is likely a issue if you live in Indo for more than 183 days or if you consider living there on a long term basis, so just passing on what i know , sorry I should clarify, the word mafia is a scary word but it came from my Indonesian bro in law so if he believes i believe and will consider this but yeh i wish you well n your plans and Hati Hati , T.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Teddybear says

Gday Metter, I am thinking you may have missed one , from your list, 30% govt tax on overseas income, maybe this is worth pondering.

I would venture the thought that no expat pays this. And as far as Aussies go, I don't think it is a requirement because of the bilateral tax agreement between the two counties.

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Well yeh I can see and understand this may happen, but Uno some think like this and some don't. I have a life interest in Indonesia and its practices and so I fear the law more than some others and being a honest type combined with this fear I would follow the tax laws yes there is a bilateral tax agreement but my understanding is that for example if one receives income from a rental property , there is usually a ton of tax deductions to reduce or pay no tax to the ATO. I believe that the Indo govt doesn't allow oseas deductions and there is the issue of capital gains . But each to their own and one has to make their own way in life and accept karma if it comes around. So yeh each to their own and who am I to judge someone's way of life if its different to mine and doesn't affect me. The 3 wise monkeys rings a bell. All the best T. Aku cinta Indonesia.

Metter

Oct 8, 2017
Sanur Kauh
Teddybear says

Gday Metter, I am thinking you may have missed one , from your list, 30% govt tax on overseas income, maybe this is worth pondering.

I would venture the thought that no expat pays this. And as far as Aussies go, I don't think it is a requirement because of the bilateral tax agreement between the two counties.

Thanks Ron,

Paying tax on my savings which have already been taxed is not something I plan on doing. Good to know this is a common stance.

Teddybear

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks Ron,

Paying tax on my savings which have already been taxed is not something I plan on doing. Good to know this is a common stance.
Am i correct in saying that the Indo govt monitors these social sites and having said that its time for my TIMEZONE fix, I like the merrygo round. T.