Long time Phuket resident moving to Bali,

Ultrafart The Brave

Dec 5, 2021
Hello all, I hope to meet some of you when I arrive in Jan with my Jakarta Chinese/Indo wife. I am 66, Canadian, have been living 16 years in Phuket, running my large charter sail cats. The boats have all been sold pre-covid, so life is very easy here in Phuket. Covid has hardly affected expats here except for the departure of all foreign tourists and month of hard lockdown in 2020. Unless your business has been destroyed the residents do not mourn the Chinese / Korean / Russian exodus, not because they are not good people but because there is just too many of them. Despite what some of you claim in some threads, except for hardy travelers, tourists have not returned despite the easier covid admission barriers. Tourism is basically 90% local and is not enough to save the industry. Then again, the whole tourism thing had gone off the rails, making the traffic horrendous, destroyed the coral so in the end, despite the pain, it is good that it has slowed down.
Why leave? We are leaving Phuket because I need a change of scenery and whenever things get too easy I must change haha. Adventure keeps the blood flowing in the old veins. I love Bali and since my wife is Indonesian I can actually own land in our name and it also make the whole transition much smoother. Visas are so much easier. There is also a lot more to explore on the island itself never mind the other 17 K islands.
So I have some questions for the old Bali hands. I am looking at buying some property. I hear prices have dropped as much as 50% so good time to buy. A view, is a priority as well as 1,000 m2 of land, decent house, 2-3 beds, pool, min 12 X 4. Quality of house need not be to EU standard but solid and bright and with a proper driveway. The ideal view would be terraced rice field overlooking the sea, but then again, I dream. I would settle for either rice or sea view. Location should not be much father than 15 mins car ride from civilization, for example, Ubud, Sanur, Uluwatu. So if anybody knows some good agents, or, heaven forfend, wants to sell their own property, drop me a line.
I would appreciate a few comments regarding the thatch roof (alang alang). Very good for keeping the house cool and looks good from inside but, and negatives? Any favorite areas that you would recommend. Need quiet, country atmosphere.
This became longer than intended so thanks to those who made it to the end.
Bob

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Welcome Bob and good luck with the move. My take on an alang alang roof is that I would never use it, ever. Looks great, but it will harbour a billion bugs or so, and is potentially a fire hazard. Your pembantu will hate you because of all the shit that the tokeks and cicaks will drop from the ceiling (detritus from eating said bugs). You might even need to consider a canopy over the bed to protect you and the missus from unwanted 'gifts' falling on you in the night... I also understand it should be replaced every 5-7 years or so.. But then again, some people love it, so what do I know?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Here you go Bob (Ultrafart the Brave - you are gonna have to tell us how you came up with that name, beers I think?) my villa should tick most of your boxes.

Here's a download link for the pdf. brochure - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n9uzNz7m5wuJOGSe4tGQTI4jdbCksW1u/view?usp=sharing
Anyone interested contact me by pm direct please.

I've only got about a zillion other photos so if you are interested just pm me for some more info.

Funnily I also have a villa with alang alang roof for sale too! :oops: so I am fully equipped to please all comers (as usual).

My experience with alang alang is slightly different than Mark's above - I love it for its looks and flexibility. Yes there are some bugs but they are also around whatever roof/walls/floor you chose - this is the tropics for Christ's sake! Attached pic is alang alang villa.

Attachments

• Chandra.jpg
    Chandra.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 12

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Here you go Bob (Ultrafart the Brave - you are gonna have to tell us how you came up with that name, beers I think?) my villa should tick most of your boxes.

Here's a download link for the pdf. brochure - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n9uzNz7m5wuJOGSe4tGQTI4jdbCksW1u/view?usp=sharing
Anyone interested contact me by pm direct please.

I've only got about a zillion other photos so if you are interested just pm me for some more info.

Funnily I also have a villa with alang alang roof for sale too! :oops: so I am fully equipped to please all comers (as usual).

My experience with alang alang is slightly different than Mark's above - I love it for its looks and flexibility. Yes there are some bugs but they are also around whatever roof/walls/floor you chose - this is the tropics for Christ's sake! Attached pic is alang alang villa.
It’s just a damned shame the place is on the wrong side of the island.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The missus and I tend to go out once or twice a week even now with most things closed up tighter than newby's butt in prison so not sure what you all think is missing?! Beer is cold, some restos are open. On the up side we don't have weirdos climbing over our walls to burglarize everything that aint nailed down or bag snatchers on mopeds either and the hooker population is kept in bounds too.

Please enlighten me what all you "high-livers" are doing in those sinks of desolation down south that's so fecking exciting?

I used to live in some big cites on several continents and people were always saying "Jeez, I couldn't live in the sticks, there's F. A. to do, no opera or libraries and live music." When I casually asked when the last time they were in the opera, library or music venue the answer was 9 times out of 10 "not recently, but I like the option". Well if that "option" is worth paying triple the housing costs for then tally-ho!

Reactions: Chris W

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
Ha Ha Ha , dont poke the bear , a colourful reaction as expected :D

Honestly everyone to their own , but my friend I like the convenience of a forested quiet nusa dua , 5 min to a good snorkling beach , the weekly shop is 15 km away and there is a substantial selection .
More hospitals than you can "shake a stick at " within 10 minutes .
Ya I like convenience .
Ya candi nice to see once in a while , but really everything is an hour away , ok for you , tiresome for me .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Honestly everyone to their own , but my friend I like the convenience of a forested quiet nusa dua ,I live in the middle of a jungle next to a river, I've seen Nusa Dua and how much you have to pay for water. Wells go down 70meter and run dry regularly. Mine goes down 5 meter and has never run dry. 5 min to a good snorkling beach Tulamben and Amed diving rated some of the best in the world - 30 minutes away. Pasir Putih (Virgin Beach) also rated one of the best in the world - 5 minutes away , the weekly shop is 15 km away and there is a substantial selection Local markets in Amlapura and Bugbug with all the fresh AND CHEAP produce you don't get - I've had your lot come up and cry for our tomatoes that they can't buy! Both 5 minutes away and then there's Hardy's Department store (new name don't know) also 5 minutes away. .
More hospitals than you can "shake a stick at " within 10 minutes . I have 3 hospitals within 10 minutes and clinics even closer - dentists in Candi and Padang bai with higher standards than I ever saw in the UK.
Ya I like convenience .
Ya candi nice to see once in a while , but really everything is an hour away , ok for you , tiresome for me .
But don't tell anyone cause we like it just for ourselves!

Reactions: tel522

begonia

Oct 10, 2007

Honestly everyone to their own , but my friend I like the convenience of a forested quiet nusa dua , 5 min to a good snorkling beach , the weekly shop is 15 km away and there is a substantial selection .
More hospitals than you can "shake a stick at " within 10 minutes .
Ya I like convenience .
tel522, I am just curious, where is a good snorkelling beach in the south of Bali? terimakasi

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I like so much as well the east cost of Bali and all the things can offer, the traffic and mass tourist in south of Bali can be horrible, specially in summer!

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
But don't tell anyone cause we like it just for ourselves!

I dont need a pool I prefer the ocean ,water cost around 150k per month or less .

Amlapura hmmm I know there is not much there ,but ya depends on your needs .
Ya of course we have local markets , and a local toko who buys good red tomatoes , , as we consume 3/5 kilos per week .

You obviously like your kingdom ,its not my cup of tea .