Long term vacation

Chrism

Mar 16, 2009
Ok. I've been reading a lot of the posts and researching a bit here.

I'm looking at spending 6 months or so in Bali with my family. My lovely wife and two small children (3 and 4)...which always makes things very different. I have lived in and travelled extensively so am familier with much the usual trials and tribulations that come with that. However I am doing so with a small family now and nervous as such.

I cannot seem to find a clear idea of the best visa to apply for (even the embassy just tell me to look at the website and figure it out). Not wanting to do multiple visa runs if I can help it. Intention of stay is simply:
a) because I can
b) to provide an educational experience for my young children
c) live somewhere relatively cheap and at the same time, exciting and enjoyable, and warm of course since partly I'm seeking to escape the NZ winter.

Note: I have never been to Bali and as such my choice is actually intentional. I rarely like to go back to places I've been to before when I have the opportunity to go somewhere new.

I am wanting to know thoughts on the best place to find a house to rent. Not interested in the full on "international" set. The only real requirements are that I have reliable internet access (for work), an expat community would be nice simply from the intellectual stimulation that it provides.

What am I likely to pay for a 3 bed house or villa with pool or pool facilities?
I don't care for cooks, gardeners etc.

Also is maleria, dengue a great concern?

Also interested in how the tourist market is faring in the current economic slowdown.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcome Chrism! Just a few thoughts as starters. I think the villas offered for vacation rentals would suit you because they are fully equipped, have staff etc. For a 6 month rental you should get quite a discount on the weekly or daily rates advertised. Maybe you can bargain for about 30% off - others may have experience of the discounts you could hope for.

For visa, you could start with a 2-month tourist visa, then do a visa run and extend with either another tourist visa for another 2 months or a social visa which could do the remaining 4 months. The visa runs are often to KL or Singapore, but now there are regular Jetstar fights to Darwin - so it is also a low cost option - and you could see Kakadu.

Where should you look - you will find suitable villas in many places - just Google with words like "bali villa vacation rental". I am familiar with North Bali where there are many available - but in the south there are many more.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Concentrate first on your visa. The best visa for you would be a Sosial Budaya visa. This will give you 2 months initial stay and them 4 extensions of 1 month each, a total of 6 months.

You need a sponsor for this kind of visa but there are agencies and/or travel agents that for a fee will do this for you. Look through the archoves here and google and you should find them. Note you can do no work on this visa.

Note you will pay each renewal. I personally would look for accommodation whilst you were on the island rather than apply for a tourist villa but that is up to you. Either way good luck. Just as an aside 6 months is a long time if you do not like a place! Especially as you have never been before.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
What am I likely to pay for a 3 bed house or villa with pool or pool facilities?
I don't care for cooks, gardeners etc.
This depends upon the financial climate in Bali at the time you want to come, (current trends suggest prices are dropping), location, the standard of the house/villa and what your definition of a "pool" is. A very rough ball-park figure would be around Rp 100+ Juta/year for something "modestly reasonable", although bargains can be found, (if you have the time and energy to find them).

You can get some more ideas looking through the real-estate ads in the on-line version of The Bali Advertiser. http://www.baliadvertiser.biz/

Since you brought them up, health issues are of concern, especially where young children are involved. Dengue fever, and several other mosquito-borne diseases, are here. Prevention of mosquito bites is the only really effective way to avoid most of them. Slightly more "exotic" threats now include rabies and bird-flu. More mundane but equally dangerous potential threats include the usuals, such as tetanus, polio, tuberculosis, measles, hepatitis, sun-burn, diarrhea. etc.

Regarding visa options. I don't think starting with a 2-month tourist visa and doing visa runs out of the country would be very practical for you, especially since there are four of you involved. Sure, it's possible, but it would be very expensive. A Sosial Budaya would be far less of a hassle, (and much cheaper in the long run).

One other thing. I would presume that you've factored into your budget the cost of medical insurance for you and your family. You can live in Bali for years on end with nothing untoward ever happening, but if and when it does, the "safety net" will be truly appreciated.

:)

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
hey! i'm doing the same as you, a long term vacation :D
visa: get a 60day tourist visa, then return and get a sosial budaya visa for the next 4months as recommended by Ron. Ron suggests singapore as a visa run, you can also do KL which can be cheaper as it takes just One day as opposed to three days to process the visa. Not only Jetstar but also Air Asia fly to both KL and SG. I have found Airasia is way cheaper. Sign up to Air Asias 'red alert' emails to keep an eye out for good deals. They have some specials right now for the next few days. Better to book much further in advance, you get better deals. you must have a ticket to exit indonesia to get the 60day visa
Real estate: wait until you get to bali, see what you like. book a hotel for the first week or so and then move in to somewhere you like. I have noticed that prices advertised on baliadvertiser.biz are starting to drop, especially around kerobokan. i'm going to have a look as well when i arrive. rentinbali.com is a good website, i had a look there and nearly booked a beautiful villa, unfortunately my friend decided she didnt want to go and AUD vs USD dropped dramatically so i have settled for a very modest indonesian room.
Health: travel insurance is an absolute necessity, especially with children, dont put a cost on your health!!! i used worldnomads, paid for one year and then can extend as a i please. also get all your innoculations, check out smarttraveller.gov.au they have all the info you need for vaccinations
i think what i have said is the same as everyone else has said. also considering things like your international drivers license, bank cards (fees for use in atms), mode of transport- cars vs scooters and costs, the culture shock for your children (i remember being 8 in bali was a massive culture shock!!!!! nothing like holidays in fiji or sydney) i was terrified about going out at night without dad- being hassled scared the hell out of me, also make sure your kids can swim!!!!! food and heat (kids) so many things for you to consider. but go ahead and do it and good luck in your process of planning. the past 9months have been exciting for me and hope it will be the same for you too

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
oh and i just realised that rent like i sent doesnt work :( looks like another company that has gone down the gurgler in this economic crisis!

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I'm sorry ali
Some of us on this forum try to share our knowledge and experiences of Bali to be helpful.
Your last two posts don't make much sense to me.

If you already "know" everything, why are you asking questions?
Your garbled post has several basic mistakes in it. For example:
..get a 60day tourist visa, then return and get a sosial budaya visa for the next 4months..
Nobody suggested that. It's plain wrong, anyway.

<MOD EDIT>

akucintabali

Aug 11, 2008
well i'm trying to be helpful because i recieved so much different advice from different people and what i posted is what i am doing. yes i am a novice but what i wrote is what is so far working for me so i dont think there is anything wrong in trying to help another person out...planning your trip isnt straightforward, i've come across so many hurdles and considerations, i think i'm pretty justified in my post johnny. and no it probably doesnt make sense in parts i dont have the time to read through and edit every word and sentence.

Chrism

Mar 16, 2009
Thank you very much to all that have replied.

I am definitely going for medical insurance...that is a given really. Even without family.
Interestingly I phoned the Indo consulate here in NZ for the 4th time or so and was told that I can get a 60 day tourist visa and extend it for up to 4 times provided I have a "sponsor". I questioned this since it sounded more like the social Budaya. I was told no: just extend a tourist visa, with no need to exit the country. I'm always sceptical of talking to these guys as I've been burnt before being told one thing by an employee at an embassy and finding it was dead wrong later on. Mmmm!!!

I'm interested in what areas people think are the most attractive for a family. A family that is that doesn't like the hassles of big towns. I've travelled Asia extensively and Africa and South America so I'm aware of the "hassling" that comes with these places however wish to avoid it where possible and that is usually by locating oneself further away from the "tourist" spots. Given that that is what I' after and the requirement for good internet I am thinking that Ubud (given research I've been doing) or Canggu might be good spots. Additionally they seem to be cheaper than seminyak for eg. What thoughts??? :?:

Chrism said:
I'm always sceptical of talking to these guys as I've been burnt before being told one thing by an employee at an embassy and finding it was dead wrong later on.
Very wise attitude. You will notice that the advice given by the embassy staff somewhat contradicts what is written in their website:
http://www.indonesianembassy.org.nz/con ... isitor.pdf

If you check a bit of the infos given in any KBRI' website, you will find numerous errors!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I can get a 60 day tourist visa and extend it for up to 4 times provided I have a "sponsor". I questioned this since it sounded more like the social Budaya

I know as Kabim says, this strictly speaking isnt possible - But it is actually happening and I know quite a few of our guests have done just that. Come in on a 60 day tourist visa and gone to one of the agents in Bali to get it extended each month for an additional 4 months.

Try contacting one or two of the agents by email before you leave home and see what they say.

Chrism

Mar 16, 2009
Additional to my phone calls to the embassy I have an emailed response today to the same question.

"The Embassy has right to issue 60 days max for tourist. If you need more than that, we advice you to arrange a friend/family in Bali to be your sponsor. In that way, your visa can be extended in Indonesia until max 6 months. Thanks"

There you have it then. Contradictions, both written and verbal. Gotta love the system.

Chrism said:
Additional to my phone calls to the embassy I have an emailed response today to the same question.

"The Embassy has right to issue 60 days max for tourist. If you need more than that, we advice you to arrange a friend/family in Bali to be your sponsor. In that way, your visa can be extended in Indonesia until max 6 months. Thanks"

There you have it then. Contradictions, both written and verbal. Gotta love the system.
But at least, the one who answered by email knows the rule about the tourist visa... Quite rare in an Indonesian embassy :D
You are really gonna enjoy the system AND your stay.
Wish you the best... :)