living in Lombok

ossobuccoman

Oct 5, 2008
I am an American and my wife is Indonesian. We live in the states, but have been thinking of buying some property in Indonesia to retire at.

My wife owns two properties in central Java, but we are interested in Bali or Lombok.

( she likes glitz and night life so bali is her choice.) :?: But I prefer quiet unspoiled less frequented spots.

Can anyone advise about Lombok and locations to look for on the Island that might be a good value ?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
she likes glitz and night life so bali is her choice.) But I prefer quiet unspoiled less frequented spots.

Looks like you are going to have trouble finding a place that suits you both. What I would suggest is that you find a peacefully place in south Bali far enough away from the nightspots to be peaceful but close enough that you can hop in a taxi and go if you wish.

I think Lombok would suit you but I am not sure if there is anywhere there to suit you lady. Mimpimanis knows Lombok well and she maybe able to help.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Well for nightlife there is Senggigi but it is hardly what I would call Glitzy. It also has the highest concentration of expats (for now).

Life in Lombok can be quite a lot harder to deal with than Bali, there are not nearly as many comforts and luxuries available. There are frequent powercuts (sometimes several a day, sometimes off for days at a time) In the dry season there are water shortages and PDAM only turn on the water mains a few times a week for a few hours.

I agree with Jimbo, if your wife likes Glitz and Glamour then Bali is probably best. Pecatu, Ulawatu areas could be a good compromise. (Im in Pecatu at the moment and love it) You can have your peace and quiet and its still only a 30/40 minute drive from Kuta for your wife.