Living in Bali

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
My wife and I plan to retire and settle in Bali in approx 12 months time. As a frequent visitor to Bali over the last 35 years, I know only too well all the positive aspects of Bali, but I would be interested to hear some opinions, especially from anyone who has or is living in Bali now, some of the negative aspects. Just in point form would be fine, anything that is particularly frustrating/annoying/difficult about it would be very much appreciated. The sort of thing that you are just not aware of until living there as opposed to being a tourist, eg: paying electricity bills;employing staff;getting the car serviced;shopping for groceries etc.
If you want to throw in some good aspects to balance things up, that's fine.
We plan to rent for about 6 months or so,and decide which area to settlle in, before buying land and building a villa.
Hoping for some insightful replies.

Ned

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
sort of thing that you are just not aware of until living there as opposed to being a tourist, eg: paying electricity bills;employing staff;getting the car serviced;shopping for groceries etc.

The above is easy enough, and not any different from anywhere else, exept may be for hiring staff, its allways good to take staff from the village you live in...

I think the main challenges people run into are the cultural differences.

While you may not allways be aware, people and "the way things go", are different.

People that don't say the truth, not because they are lyers, but because of shame.

People that smile and agree with you, but act otherwise.

Promises not kept.

Jam Karet.

Jealousy and envy.

Your feelings of what is just and right will be challenged, because harmony is usually valued above truth.

Things like that.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Gawd! What don’t I like about Bali? Hmmm, thinking this over, the list seems to enlarge. In no particular order:

-Brainless drivers. Total idiots who think they own the road, even when only navigating it on a motor bike. Funny, how in the Kijang versus motorbike stand off, the Kijang always wins.

-The deaf. Mind you, they are really not deaf, they just fain that they can’t hear you when you speak perfect Indonesian, or even better, Balinese to them. They are the “duhs.”

-Newspaper boys. In spite of you holding up the current issue of the Jakarta Post inside your car, these lads insist…either you need another copy…a better one than yours, or you should re-read yesterday’s copy again!

-Bali dogs, or more accurately, the dingo variety that wrecks havoc upon every village in Bali. Roaming in packs, and seemingly to pick out my house at 2 AM to have “fight night” this problem has been rectified. I guess they never thought of including me in “fight night.”

Now, if I can only work on the idiot drivers, the deaf, and the news boys, I think Bali might be just about perfect!

Claire Quinn

Feb 10, 2005
Legian, Bali
I have been living here now for 3 months, a short time, but I have had no problems. We rent a house and our staff are great. they help me all the time. We purchased a motorbike and hopefully we are not idiots, we just plod along and we have had no trouble. The best thing was I needed an airconditoner for the spare room as I had guests coming to stay. I went along to purchase one at 3.10 in the afternoon, I paid cash and I arrived home at approx 4.45. the guys were here to install it 10 minutes later. All done about one and a bit hours later and has not missed a beat since. You cannot get that sort of service anywhere in Australia. People say all the time that you will get something in Bali time. Well I honestly think Bali time runs rings around Aussie time and I lived in a regional town. I have had clothing made and they say will be ready in 2 days, I walk past the next day to a call....yours clothes are ready. I opened a bank account, I must admit the paper work was a little tiring, but I have had no trouble with the bank. I visit the bank now and again and a security guard opens the door for me. In Aussie they normally stare at you. I am not bashing Australia, but I think the service here is great. Pay cash and a smile goes a bloody long way. I go shopping for groceries and now there are places that you can opurchase almost everything you get in Australia and then if I need to take a taxi home, the cab driver loads the boot and then unloads for me, then there is normally someone willing to carry the goods down my lane to my house, and they have never asked for money. The guys that do this are part of a small tourist ticketing place and I have gone there and booked a few trips and I will continue to do so.

I have found Bali a hell of alot easier than my home town in Queensland, nothing is ever a problem. Oh I have just booked some flights to singapore and went through an agent that was recommended, the price was excellent and then he delivered them to my house, all done over the phone and then hand delivered...you cannot beat that for service.

You will love it here, we have only planned on 6 months, but I really have no intention of going back for sometime.

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
Thanks for your replies. I think the positives still outway the negatives.
Can anyone see any additional problems or disadvantages in moving to Bali as an "old bloke". I'll be nearly sixty when I finally settle there next year with my wife. Roy, you might have some thoughts on this one, as I see you're going for your retirement visa in November!! but I guess having a Balinese family makes a big diffrerence.

Ned

Tommy

May 11, 2005
For me the negatives and positives of Bali swing up and down depending my mood and how others behave. At first i wasn't that bothered over anything or anyone in Bali until i became "one of them" and the community. So, alot of the negative aspects that didn't bother me for the first few years became more evident lateron. Passing by the "period" where everything becomes more clear.. the negatives returned to their original state where they don't bother me. The goods are simply too good, but nevertheless the bads are always there. If you can cope with it.. enjoy the ride with us. ;)

Baliken

Aug 6, 2005
Darwin/Bali
The only thing I hate about Bali is,,

You get settled in a bar with your mates, and the 2nd round of beers are panas,,,jeeeezz that pisses me off..

Claire,,seems like nothing can unsettle you,,,dont go back to Ozz,

Roy,,I whole heartidly agree with you,,maybe a quick trip back to where you come from. Dogs, motorbikes and paper boys,,,wear dark sunglasses...

When in Bali,,,just think of back home,,,"sigh"

Baliken

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
maybe a quick trip back to where you come from.

NEVER will happen. "Been there, done that" and no way to ever go back.

Funny though, I've acutally gotten e-mails from some folks convinced that my conviction (not to go back), is based on "wants and warrants" issued by law enforcement agencies. I sign my e-mail replies to them, "Ted Bundy Roy."

Funny thing is, I had a French couple show up at the gallery today. After looking around for about 10 minutes, the guy said to me, "you're an American." Not sure exactly how to handle this, I replied, "yes I am, but I've been living in Bali for seven years."

He replied, "seven years isn't long." So I said, "tell that to an eight year old, as that is a lifetime for them, and, as a Bali/Hindu, a dharma Hindu, that's exactly where I am...and loving it."

Flustered, he and his lovely wife left, of course not buying anything, but leaving me with a warm and very satisfying feeling.

Baliken

Aug 6, 2005
Darwin/Bali
Ted,,I mean Roy...my remark above was just tongue in cheek mate....
I know exactly how you feel about western ways,,

Having some sort of business or something to keep you occupied in Bali is the answer,,but not all will agree,, from going the way I have seen so many expats go,, with the likes of nothing to do except drink themselves into oblivion..
Ive seen it countless times, guys come over with wads of cash and think they can live on a pittance compared to back home..
One old guy I knew wasted away in 3 yrs after spending US$200.000.00..
Borrowed the price of a plane ticket to go back home,,now living in a retirement home in Ozz somwhere..
Life is good in Bali,,,treat it with respect...

Baliken

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
with the likes of nothing to do except drink themselves into oblivion..

Amen...and a good reason to abdicate Kuta to Australia! :D

I hate, (in a small way) to mention this, but if the "washed up" list of failed expats on Bali was ever to be compiled by country of origin, it would likely be alphabetically, and it wouldn't be Albania on the top of the list! :shock:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Living in Bali

Roy said:
I hate, (in a small way) to mention this, but if the "washed up" list of failed expats on Bali was ever to be compiled by country of origin, it would likely be alphabetically, and it wouldn't be Albania on the top of the list! :shock:
So, you mean America would be at the top of the list? :p :roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hell no Mats! On the alphabetical list, America doesn't even show up here as America...it shows up as the United States of America! :D

Nice try, but you ain't going to win that easily! :p