Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have found decent sized copies on the internet of the pix I want to have resized and using Johnny's recommended expander program Perfect Resize 7.5, which is a free download and usable for a month, I've gotten some astonishing results, much better than using only Photoshop and I'm a fair hand at that too. Another thing is the software will do "tiling" which breaks the print up into A4 sized bites to print on a normal printer and fit together after - haven't used that yet. If the A0 printing turns out to be silly expensive it might be worth me buying a printer to do it myself.

No luck finding anything in Ubud - everything sold to the world or not worth selling. Inquired about printing at the gallery on Mankey Forest Rd. but they wanted 700k :icon_e_surprised: for a A0 print so Sanur tomorrow with my copies in my hot sweaty little hand to see if they can print anything worth hanging up...

Any further tips gratefully accepted.

Markit

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Not sure of which "pooers" you speak. All the links work fine for me at home and even with my Nexus tablet in a bar. "Mystery"?

Tomorrow being a Sunday might not be the best time to try and get something printed in Sanur.
I think your best bet would be daitoprinting (not sure if they're open on Sundays).

Printing an image portion by portion on a home printer is feasible (but a right pain). Joining them together ain't much fun.
And what about laminating the pieces?
Good luck.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Charleton Heston: "God damn you all to hell".
Beer and whiskey for breakfast are a bad start to the day (so some say).
Add the merciless daily heat we've been having makes things worse.

My watch is stuffed again (needs another "new battery"). My battery guy is from somewhere in Karangasem, but his shop's in Sanur.
Last time he replaced the battery he told me it would be good for two years ("guaranteed").
Of course I didn't really believe him. It's less than four months now and his shop's been shut for a week.
Bankrupt or dealing with ceremonies in the East? Possibly both.

I grant you that I wasn't sure what day it is today. Happens often to me, watch or no watch.
Now I know that it's actually Friday, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for enlightening me.
Might have to go to Arena Sport Bar later tonight to see Bali Crazy Horse Band. And/or double check the venues with "sexy dancers".

Apart from that, I still don't know why "All the links are blocked by the Indo bigbrother."
In your case, I guess you mean "InternetPositif". They all work fine for me, without any fancy VPN stuff.

P

paulseawind

You are better off taking your own photos and framing them. Seriously.

I dated a British photographer for a couple of years in Darwin and she told me that. Dogs. Cars. Etcetera. Much better than someone else's stuff. But, up to you.

How about a few volcano pics. And/or the grandkids.

Some people call their (set of) photos a 'brag wall'. Them with famous people. Stuff like that.

Or a photo of a heated-up meat pie.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ummm, welcome to the forum Paul and thanks for the largely Bintang language rant with your short and descriptive sex life brag.

Usually I would agree with you, one's own pictures are more meaningful and beautiful (eye of the beholder...) BUTT, and it's a large one, I have gotten stuck with the weird beauty of Walter Spies' fantastical images of Bali.

I saw them first years ago and didn't think so much of them "nice" but there's lots of good pictures out there. BUTT, and it really is a big one, after a few years of living here and experiencing first hand the ongoing hallucination we call home and all it's very own weirdness I've come to really, really love Walter's paints.

One thing no one can fight over is taste. I have mine, you yours and nare the twain shall meet. BUTT (no, won't belabor the point) that's ok too.

Markit

P

paulseawind

Your Own Photos

Ummm, welcome to the forum Paul and thanks for the largely Bintang language rant with your short and descriptive sex life brag.

I have no fn idea how you got Bintang and s*x out of what I wrote.

My post has nothing to do with Bintang. I don't drink that sh*t.

Nor has it anything to do a s*x life brag, even though she does have huge snorkers, the poor woman, and is respectably younger than me. Too much woman for me, let me say, and way more than a handful. And, a bit of a tomboy to boot. To see her jump off a horse in a paddock (she passed me the reigns to hers while she did this so I had 2 horses to manage - this was in SE New South Wales in Australia), wrestle a sheep to the ground and inspect it's throat cuts from wild predatorial animals, you get the idea. She asked me to cook dinner that night. Spag bol. The guests were 2 other women. One recovering from extreme kemo for cancer. She quipped about the spag bol 'It's hard to stuff that up'. I gave her less than the rest of us for that tart re-mark.

Photos: Yes, best to take your own. I recently came face to face with many of mine. And I kept them all. It makes you look more critically at the 'snaps' of others and ask 'Do I like that?'. A close-up of your dog. A shining pic of your <whatever>. And, so on. Fill your wall with pics of yours, not some other persons. Mo' better.

P

paulseawind

Photos on the Wall

You got any pictures of this warrior Valkyrie? Nude preferably... Does she do sheep castrations?

No pics for You to see.

Re the castrations, do you need a foreskin removed? Can be arranged. Even at your 'vintage'. Some of life's drawbacks will automagically disappear for you. You might like it, especially if the wind is blowing just right.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
For anyone that is still interested I am now the proud possessor of 15 outstanding Walter Spies prints mark DIY. The real problem was finding decent sized examples to copy and I was astonished that one of the most famous painters of Bali was almost unknown here.

I've initially gone the route of printing them onto white matt plastic to see how it works, as here in the tropics paper has a fairly short half-life and most glass covered pictures that I've seen usually have small 6/8 legged invaders along with various interesting fungi to make the image come alive, as it were.

First impressions were surprisingly good! I upped the resolution to 300 dpi and sized them as the originals were and chose to print them at a commercial place on the Sunset Rd. using matt white plastic.

The next hurdle is getting them framed for the right price so any recommendations on that subject gratefully accepted. Baring anything better I will be haunting the backstreets of Sukawati to get the job done.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Just wondering - which "originals" did you get and from where?
How big and how much did you re-size them? Final printed size and how much? Software used?

One way to prevent bugs getting into prints is to have them laminated properly. I had a bunch framed years ago at a small shop somewhere on the Sunset Road.
Excellent quality. Unfortunately, don't know if it still exists. I'm sure there are many others these days.

Some of my prints have lasted 15-20 years, so far. I had a bunch of other ones that weren't hung during a house move and the house was attacked by termites.
They certainly "came alive" big time and had to be thrown out.

I've been too busy to get my tiny modified screen grabs printed. So will do some test prints at home to A4 size.

How about showing us the results?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Johnny go back to my post #14 and add these to the list:

JAVANESE-RETURNING-HOME.jpg Lanschaft-mit-Schattenkuh.jpg Preager-Landschaft.jpg Rehlandschaft-in-Djembrana.jpg River-Landscape.jpg

As to how I got them - hard work and searching. It actually took the better part of a week to find and get them all into shape for printing. I showed them to some interested buyers today and surprise, surprise they want framed copies. Spent most of the afternoon in Sukawati organizing framing and that's it. I'm still looking for "Dieng" dieng.jpg, Sawahlandshaft mit Gunung Agung Sawahlandschaft mit Gunung Agung.jpg and

Walter Spies7.jpg for which I have no name but would dearly love to find it.

Once I renovated and resized them all they came in at around 250Gb each! but gave great results with no pixilation or distortion.