hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Via Via,i heard that some or all indonesian banks are planning to limit the amount that can be withdrawn from ATM's with foreign Mastercards and Maestro debit-cards.
Has anyone any information about this?
My information comes from someone that is working in the legal department of one of the biggest banks in the Netherlands,so rather trustworthy i think.
I have no info wich banks here or if it is planned by all banks.
Or maybe again a bright idea from the government?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I have heard nothing on that . Have always had the option to withdraw up to 3,000,000 rupiah from most atms ( some only allow 1.5 juta only ).

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
A withdraw from most ATM's (and not only in Indonesia), is limited to a certain amount per day for safety reasons. It has nothing to do with enough funds available.
I believe here in Bali the limit is 6.000.000 per day. That is the limit I have been able to withdraw with a creditcard.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
@Smoke and DIck:I might not have been explicit enough.This is about NEW rules how much you can withdraw.My spokesman also said some banks are considering completely stopping the use of ATM's for Maestro cards and Mastercard Creditcards,although it still would be be possible to withdraw money at the counter of the bank,but again,maybe not in EVERY branch.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
My experiance with trying to withdraw monies over the counter with visa has been nearly impossible the only place i know of is BCA card centre in Kuta. It would be useful if someone can tell me now there are other banks doing cash advances.

MattyCA

Aug 15, 2013
A withdraw from most ATM's (and not only in Indonesia), is limited to a certain amount per day for safety reasons. It has nothing to do with enough funds available.
I believe here in Bali the limit is 6.000.000 per day. That is the limit I have been able to withdraw with a creditcard.

I haven't tested the limits, but I think the safeguard that limits the amount you can withdraw per day keeps ATM users safe, both from thieves and (perhaps more likely) themselves. Any idea if these limits apply for credit cards too? Or is it debit only?

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
I haven't tested the limits, but I think the safeguard that limits the amount you can withdraw per day keeps ATM users safe, both from thieves and (perhaps more likely) themselves. Any idea if these limits apply for credit cards too? Or is it debit only?

I used my CREDIT-card to withdraw money from a Permata ATM, the one I usually use as it is nearby. No problem. Just came back from Hongkong and Macau and had no problem either getting money from any ATM. I can't answer for a DEBIT-card as I don't have them.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Credit card holders are even worse off. In my experience most of the friends and visitors that we get have their CC cancelled after the first withdrawal here - even if they've told their banks in advance that they are coming to Indo.

Then the circus of midnight skype calls begins to said banks to try and free up enough money to not starve or let the blood/alcohol level sink too low.

All expats are familiar with that tired, morning look which says "can I borrow some money?" seen over the breakfast table, usually on about day 3.

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
Credit card holders are even worse off. In my experience most of the friends and visitors that we get have their CC cancelled after the first withdrawal here - even if they've told their banks in advance that they are coming to Indo.]

?? My bank and money (pensions etc.) are in The Netherlands. I can withdraw money from my Dutch bank all over the world in ATM's with my creditcard and quite often with a Maestro normal bankcard as I have been doing without any problem so far. Oh yes you pay for it of course a small amount but that's another story.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dick I'm not saying it can't work just, in my experience, it doesn't.

With the security concerns of all the card issuers and banks being ramped way up after them losing billions over the years (guess who they passed that loss on to?) it's now almost impossible to move money easily around the world - unless, that is, you are a billionaire drug dealer of international terrorist - they still seem to have no trouble, funny that.

Once your card issuer has cancelled your account and you've had a coronary on the phone to them they usually let you have your money - until something funny happens. Then the ax falls again immediately, rerun previous sentence. Ad Infinitum...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Dick when it works the system is wonderful but in my experience it doesn't always work like shown in the adverts and causes a great deal of trouble and not a little embarrassment.