pisang

Nov 17, 2015
Hi all
I have about $40,000 aud to send to Bali. How much can I send at a time without having it flagged or paperwork needed over in Bali? I'm sure if I sent the whole chunk at once there would be questions and maybe "fees" that go with that..
Thinking of either western union or direct from my bank in Aus to Bali bank account.
Thanks!

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Hi all
I have about $40,000 aud to send to Bali. How much can I send at a time without having it flagged or paperwork needed over in Bali? I'm sure if I sent the whole chunk at once there would be questions and maybe "fees" that go with that..
Thinking of either western union or direct from my bank in Aus to Bali bank account.
Thanks!

Give it to me in a brown paper bag. I'll take it over for you in December. No worries, pal. No charge.

Seriously, do not use WU. I would suggest transactions directly from your AU bank account to an Indonesian bank, all amounts < $10,000. YOu are also allowed to take cash overseas undeclared as long as it is under $10,000 (I think). So, a combination of the two. Others will have done this so will be able to give you better answers I think.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
When I transferred a lot of money to build our house, all the Bank and transfer company asked was what was the purpose of money. After that there were no restrictions or taxes.

I'm not sure if this is the unanimous opinion of the forum, but in my opinion, www.transferwise.com is the cheapest way to transfer money to an Indonesian bank account. Do a $100 transfer to confirm it'll work for you and then do the rest in $10,000 lots just to be safe.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I just did a bank transfer bank to bank for more than $40k into my Indo bank account and no questions asked.

I would caution you to tell your Indo bank it is coming and then check with them on a regular basis if it has arrived.

Mine landed and I waited patiently for the money to appear on my account or at least a telephone call to that effect but surprise, surprise the money was sitting for a week on BNI's account in Jakarta until I asked about it...

pisang

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks for the info. Good to know I can just transfer it all at once. Will make sure the bank in Bali knows it's coming too.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
It will depend on your daily transfer limit. I have mine set at $10,000, each transfer costs me around $23. I operate with ANZ.

pisang

Nov 17, 2015
Thanks., I just tried from bankwest to bali account Bank of asia I think.. anyway it would only transfer aus dollars and wouldn't tell me the exchange rate.. is that normal? so I just did $500 to test it.. or would the other end get out AUD too? that would be good!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You will only get dollars out the other end if you have a dollar account with your bank and have sent your dosh to that account.

You seem to be very "tentative" (living in a canvas lean-too) with your "I just tried from bankwest to bali account Bank of asia I think.."

Can I suggest you ask exactly what you want to do here and you will get the right answers. The point of the forum is to inform...

pisang

Nov 17, 2015
I did ask exactly what I want.. Not sure what you think I mean there.
I said bank of Asia I think because I couldn't remember exactly and couldn't be bothered going back into my info to find the exact name of Bali bank (it's my brother in laws account not mine) didn't realise that made a difference to my question though. But thank you for your rely that helps with the dollar to dollar question

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Open a account at commonwealth both Bali & Australia, Aud Acc they allow you to take out Aud. You can all was putt $40,000 in you pockets, works well.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You can all was putt $40,000 in you pockets, works well.

Careful....RI customs declaration form (item 15) requires a declaration if more than IDR 100,000,000 cash, or equivelant in other currencies, (approx AUD 10,000) is imported.

This doesn't mean it cannot be done but it has to be declared.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Folks those that live here: do we really want the locals to think we're all walking around with $40k + trousered?

I know I already feel like a walking ATM but I do draw the line at being a walking bank!

Give it a thought before you do or recommend **** like this.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I declared $100,000 out of Australia, but there is no way I would declare that to Indonesia customs, they would want a share:icon_rolleyes:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I declared $100,000 out of Australia, but there is no way I would declare that to Indonesia customs, they would want a share:icon_rolleyes:

Well Fred2 if you didn't declare it, and they caught you, they might not want any share....they might want it all and, legally, confiscation is a possible penalty.