balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The Denpasar District Court on Monday (29/02) sentenced Margriet Megawe, a woman accused of murdering her foster daughter and burying the child's body in her backyard, to life imprisonment.

Margriet was found guilty for the May 2015 murder of 8-year-old Engeline, in a case which gripped the nation. Presiding judge Edward Harris Sinaga said the defendant is guilty of murder, child exploitation for financial gain and physical abuse that led to the death of the child.

The sentence met the prosecutors' demand.

Margriet's lawyer Dian Pongkor said his team will file an appeal against the ruling, as reported by Kompas.com.

The case captured national attention after Angeline’s body was discovered buried in the back yard of Margriet’s Denpasar home in June last year, a month after the family reported Engeline missing and launched online pleas for her return.

The prosecution’s indictment against Margriet revolves largely around confessions from her former housekeeper, Agustinus Tay, who claims Margriet killed Engeline by slamming her head against a wall and paid him to help her dispose of the body.

Agustinus initially confessed to the murder before later recanting, saying his statement was made under duress from the police. He alleged Margriet had ordered him to rape the lifeless Engeline to stage a sex crime motive, but said he had refused.

He did, however, agree to help dig a hole in the back yard and bury the body there, claiming that Margriet promised to pay him Rp 200 million ($14,930) to keep silent and take the fall if the body was discovered.

Foster Mother Gets Life Sentence in Engeline Murder Case | Jakarta Globe

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Not what I had expected in this case,ok call me cold blooded even anything you care to call me,

A child's life was taken in a very cruel manner and she gets life,while a couple of Australians pay with their lives for EXPORTING drugs from Ri,where is the justice,ooh wait a minute I forgot there is no justice in this country,

In my opinion she should have received a death sentence,an eye for an eye,a life for a life,

Also amazing how there has been absolutely no reporting while this case was going on,then suddenly a verdict if you can call it that

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah, I'm also a little concerned about the lack of reporting too. Can't agree NYdave about your use of the death penalty. Especially in cases where one person is blaming another for something only they know about.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I respect your opinion,but for me I would execute both of them to make sure I got the right one,helping his boss by digging a grave and by saying nothing to me makes him as guilty as the mother,

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I respect your opinion,but for me I would execute both of them to make sure I got the right one,helping his boss by digging a grave and by saying nothing to me makes him as guilty as the mother,

Abject poverty drives people to do lots of awful and desperate things.

Being poor isn't a life-style choice...