gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
sure you are not wrong in asking...I just doubt anyone will take the time to translate that story.
hence me saying it doesn't make sense to ask, if it's 99% sure no one will answer (translate)

as for my personal education, yes I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed the dutch school system (as well as the Swiss and the US school systems)

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
sure you are not wrong in asking...I just doubt anyone will take the time to translate that story.
hence me saying it doesn't make sense to ask, if it's 99% sure no one will answer (translate)

as for my personal education, yes I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed the dutch school system (as well as the Swiss and the US school systems)

I am not asking anyone to translate the article, I only wanted to give an example of a language test, and I also wanted to show an Indonesian text that is more complicated than easy sentences like "where can I buy shoes"

Swiss school system ? So you should be fluent in French or German or Italian?

Sep 20, 2011
Australia
Balinese people don't speak good Indonesian.

I have to agree with this. I have asked my Balinese friends many times to speak with me in Indonesian instead of English and they have said that although the can speak, read, understand Indonesian it doesn't come naturally to them because they speak Balinese with their family and friends and English with tourists.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've actually had an Indonesian call me that was trying to deliver to the villa and beg me to ask my "guy" to let him into the property. I was away from home at the time and my "guy" took his security job way too seriously. Problem was he couldn't understand me either so I had to ask a 3rd party who spoke English to talk to my "guy" and ask him to let the delivery in - the delivery guys understood nothing from my "guy" and he from them.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
AAhh, I have the perfect solution, you could ask for Indonesian/balinese lessons from Justinbali so you will no longer speak indonesia/balinese with an unintelligible american accent.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Pray tell what do you imagine there is unintelligible on an American accent?

Just ask Russel (of the iron buttocks) Crowe, Mel (my-foreskin-is-for-Jesse) Gibson or Rupe the Dupe and sonny boy Murdoch, I'm sure they can translate for you.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta

Just ask Russel (of the iron buttocks) Crowe, Mel (my-foreskin-is-for-Jesse) Gibson or Rupe the Dupe and sonny boy Murdoch, I'm sure they can translate for you.

aaaahhhh you prove my point cobbler, Russel is a bloody kiwi, and mel was born in new york, but with hard work they both can put on a passable strine accent.....
:topsy_turvy:

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Watch this and I apologize in advance for any brain cells destroyed in the process seriously:
[video=youtube;fvRMtW0JArI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRMtW0JArI[/video]

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
They ought to show that around the world - it would stop illegal immigration into the US over-night.

Do you think Italians are all running to the shops for ketchup and butter for their sketty?

Appalling - this should tip the vote into making birth control retroactive.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
American exceptionalism in a nutshell. USA!, USA!, USA!......

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
To continue in the "redneck" spirit of honey boo boo...... the following letter was sent to her daddy by her grandma.......

DEAR REDNECK SON,

I'm writing this letter slow because I know you can't read fast.
 We don't live where we did when you left home. Your dad read in 
the newspaper that most accidents happen within 20 miles from home, 
so we moved. I won't be able to send you the address because the
 last Arkansas family that lived here took the house numbers when they 
moved so they wouldn't have to change their address.

This place is really nice. It even has a washing machine. I'm not sure 
it works so well though. Last week I put a load in and pulled the chain
 and haven't seen them since.

The weather isn't bad here. It only rained twice last week, the first 
time for three days and the second time for four days.

About that coat you wanted me to send you, your Uncle Stanley said it 
would be to heavy to send in the mail with the buttons on, so we cut
them off and put them in the pockets.

John locked his keys in the car yesterday. We were really worried because 
it took him two hours to get me and your father out.

Your sister had a baby this morning, but I haven't found out what it is yet
 so I don't know if your an aunt or an uncle. The baby looks just like your 
brother.

Uncle Ted fell in a whiskey vat last week. Some men tried to pull him out,
 but he fought them off playfully and drowned. We had him cremated and he 
burned for three days.

Three of your friends ran off a bridge in a pick-up truck. Ralph was driving. 
He rolled down the window and swam to safety. Your other two friends were in
back. They drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down.

There isn't much more news at this time. Nothing much has happened.

Love, Mom

P. S. I was going to send you some money, but the envelope was already sealed.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
lol

You replied to a post of mine from several years ago. Sorry, but I am not going to spend my time translating some text to prove to you over the internet that my Indonesian is fluent. Any of the forum members who have met me will tell you it is, but it's really not that big of a deal. If you shoved a newspaper in my face in person, I'd probably translate the first paragraph for you as it would be enough to erase any doubt.

I maintain that Indonesian is easy to learn, but difficult to master. You are absolutely right about most people just using the root words. I received a call yesterday from an expat saying he had lived here for a year and was desperate to learn Indonesian as he knew almost none so far. My advice was to really learn the prefixes and suffixes inside and out and how they change the root words. To me, grasping that concept is what takes most people's Bahasa Indonesia to the next level.

The funny thing though for me, is that when long-term expats start "dick-sizing" about their language abilities, there are so many things you can nitpick at and there is probably no universally satisfying way to speak Indonesian that pleases everyone, unless you spoke completely perfect and formally which nobody does anyways.

For example, I learned to speak Indonesian in Bali (along with Balinese) and when speaking Indonesian, my accent, style of talking, word order etc is decidedly Balinese. For example if someone asks me where I got something and the answer is that a friend gave it to me, I would say "aku dikasih minta". This in Indonesian makes no sense and people from Jakarta wouldn't understand it all. Balinese all understand it though as it's a direct translation from their own version of "baang ngidih" which is their own language so of course makes perfect sense to them.

Case in point being, we could all sit around and compare language abilities, prove our abilities through translating text and bash the people who make mistakes. At the same time though, some of those mistakes are actually intentional and make speech more authentic, a very non-western concept as far as languages go. For the record though, usually when I make little Balinese "mistakes" in my speech, I still know the proper way of saying it in Indonesian, just as Balinese do, but it is not the way people here talk.

No, Indonesian is NOT that easy to learn. I speak Indonesian fluently. If you think that Indonesian is so easy, please translate this text

Home
Bali Popular
Kejadian & Fenomena
Global & Nasional
Khas Bali
Editor’s Pick
Sosok
Foto

Mangku Pastika Usir Ketua Komisi B DPRD Kota Denpasar
16 February 2013 by Gusti Putra in Featured Kejadian dan Fenomena di Bali - 5 Comments
Mangku Pastika Usir DPRD Kota Denpasar

EmailShare

Sabtu siang ini (16/2/2013) Gubernur Bali Made Mangku Pastika mengusir Ketua Komisi B DPRD Kota Denpasar Eko Supriadi dalam acara “simakrama” bulanan Gubernur dengan masyarakat Bali yang berlangsung di Wantilan (gedung terbuka) DPRD Bali.

Alasan pengusiran karena dianggap telah mengganggu jalannya acara simakrama. Eko Supriadi, dalam acara tersebut sempat meneriakkan kata “PAS” berulang kali saat Pastika menjawab pertanyaan dari Ketut Wenten Aryawan warga Denpasar.

Ketut Wenten yang dikabarkan berprofesi sebagai akademisi, kala itu, menanyakan perihal keberlanjutan pengusahaan izin pariwisata alam Taman Hutan Raya Ngurah Rai dan tindak lanjut putusan pengadilan terkait sengketa pemberitaan gubernur dan harian Bali Post.Wenten juga sempat menyoroti kinerja Wakil Gubernur Bali AA Ngurah Puspayoga dan persoalan pemasangan baliho pasangan calon kepala daerah.

Ketika Gubernur Mangku Pastika sedang menjawab pertanyaan itulah, Eko yang juga kader PDI Perjuangan tersebut meneriakkan kata “PAS”. Seperti diketahui pekikan “PAS” ini merupakan singkatan dari Paket Puspayoga-Sukrawan, salah satu paket cagub dan cawagub yang diusung oleh PDIP.

Mangku Pastika beberapa kali meminta Eko untuk meninggalkan tempat simakrama, bahkan Mantan Kapolda Bali ini mengatakan tidak akan melanjutkan acara jika Eko tidak pergi.

“Jangan main-main, ini saya sungguh-sungguh kerja demi rakyat, jangan coba yang aneh-aneh. Saya tidak terima yang begitu-begitu, saya ini tidak main-main.”

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
lol

You replied to a post of mine from several years ago. Sorry, but I am not going to spend my time translating some text to prove to you over the internet that my Indonesian is fluent. Any of the forum members who have met me will tell you it is, but it's really not that big of a deal. If you shoved a newspaper in my face in person, I'd probably translate the first paragraph for you as it would be enough to erase any doubt.

I maintain that Indonesian is easy to learn, but difficult to master. You are absolutely right about most people just using the root words. I received a call yesterday from an expat saying he had lived here for a year and was desperate to learn Indonesian as he knew almost none so far. My advice was to really learn the prefixes and suffixes inside and out and how they change the root words. To me, grasping that concept is what takes most people's Bahasa Indonesia to the next level.

The funny thing though for me, is that when long-term expats start "dick-sizing" about their language abilities, there are so many things you can nitpick at and there is probably no universally satisfying way to speak Indonesian that pleases everyone, unless you spoke completely perfect and formally which nobody does anyways.

For example, I learned to speak Indonesian in Bali (along with Balinese) and when speaking Indonesian, my accent, style of talking, word order etc is decidedly Balinese. For example if someone asks me where I got something and the answer is that a friend gave it to me, I would say "aku dikasih minta". This in Indonesian makes no sense and people from Jakarta wouldn't understand it all. Balinese all understand it though as it's a direct translation from their own version of "baang ngidih" which is their own language so of course makes perfect sense to them.

Case in point being, we could all sit around and compare language abilities, prove our abilities through translating text and bash the people who make mistakes. At the same time though, some of those mistakes are actually intentional and make speech more authentic, a very non-western concept as far as languages go. For the record though, usually when I make little Balinese "mistakes" in my speech, I still know the proper way of saying it in Indonesian, just as Balinese do, but it is not the way people here talk.

I thoroughly agree with you. By the way, your comments are valid for all languages.

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
English also is a weird language. Bernard Shaw once wrote that "ghoti" should be pronounced as "fish", because gh as in "enough", o as in "women" and ti as in "national".

We're lucky that Indonesian is not a tonal language like Chinese, where the word "ma" can mean mother, hemp, horse, or scold depending on the tone you speak. The Four Tones of Spoken Mandarin - Learning the Four Tones of Spoken Mandarin

Americans, Brits, Aussies, and the French are notorious for their lack of language skills.

I grew up in a country that does not have a national language so we were forced to learn the three official languages (Flemish, French, German) and on top of that we had to learn English in school.