Learning Bahasa Indonesia

San

Jul 28, 2008
Hello everyone,

Since my last post (when I was still in Holland and asked about job opportunities in Bali) everything is going great. I'm living in Bali now, and found a job, will have a kitas soon, found a great house.
I'm trying to improve my Indonesian but it's quiet hard ..I think I'll need to do a course to get me motivated and to keep me studying! I've already found some information about a few courses but their prices were extremely high! I'm looking for an affordable course which doesn't last 2 weeks but will really improve my Indonesian.

Does anyone has some good tips for me?

Thanks a lot!

San

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Hi San

My gf did a course with IALF, it took longer than 2 weeks, but with any of these companies you just need to contact them and they'll taylor anything you want. Theres a load of freelancers out there that will custom to whatever you want also.

BTW, what kind of job did you end up getting?

San

Jul 28, 2008
Hi, thanks for the info till so far!
I found a job as a personal assistant. So that's great!

I use Learningindonesian.com as well, it's great! But I still need some more pushing..to actually do it. I think learning in a group would be the best way for me. The IALF is quite expensive I thought so that's way over my budget.. Any other tips?

Thanks!

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I was in the same boat before. My plan to earn money out here didn't really pan out, so I can't afford to pay for the lessons. The great part is that Indonesians are generally more than happy to help you, free of charge as long as your good company. Go to a local warung and sit down and start talking. Or get an Indonesian girlfriend. It's actually a really easy language to learn, I've been here about 4 months, and the compliments I get from people I meet have steadily gone from "sudah pintar bahasa indonesia" to "sudah lancar bahasa indonesia", the latter meaning fluent.

I'm certainly not fluent but I can't think of another language I could have become conversational in so quickly.